Which Mag drill?

Quattromike

Quattromike

Well member-known
What everyone using for mag drills? Looking to get a new one for the workshop but undecided which one to go for. The favourite one of what we have is the JEI mini beast. It's mainly 18 And 22 holes in steelwork.
 
Lancs Lad

Lancs Lad

Well-known member
What everyone using for mag drills? Looking to get a new one for the workshop but undecided which one to go for. The favourite one of what we have is the JEI mini beast. It's mainly 18 And 22 holes in steelwork.
Fein , little KBE 30. But they do big range , worth a look. If one tickles your fancy DM me I'll see if I can sort u a price out sometimes get ex demos etc (We are a Fein dealer...my day job)
 
Nick...

Nick...

Well-known member
I’ve got a rotabroach from magdrill.com.they often do deals with cutters and drills.very helpful and worth a look
nick...
 
Mogman

Mogman

What man as done, man can do, what never has,maybe
Rotabroach element 30 but it’s a bit too fast for large holes 30 mm+ but great for sub 25mm
 
Quattromike

Quattromike

Well member-known
Fein , little KBE 30. But they do big range , worth a look. If one tickles your fancy DM me I'll see if I can sort u a price out sometimes get ex demos etc (We are a Fein dealer...my day job)
I would love a KBB 40, we have a magforce that is identical but has a dodgy circuit board and is aside lined, nice little drill but mega bucks to buy new 😳

​

 
Quattromike

Quattromike

Well member-known
The HMT carbidemax 40 series cutters take some beating but their magdrills don't seem to stand up to the pace. We have one that always seems to be needing little repairs.
 
jd6820

jd6820

Well-known member
Run a JEI HM50 myself and I really rate it. Added to the fact the main distributor is 45mins away so I deal direct. Really great firm to get on with, customer service is brilliant and prices good.
 
P

Pod

New member
What everyone using for mag drills? Looking to get a new one for the workshop but undecided which one to go for. The favourite one of what we have is the JEI mini beast. It's mainly 18 And 22 holes in steelwork.
The JEI mini beast is by far the best mag-drill on the market, I have been using one since 2008 (called Slugger then)
It has drilled thousands of holes - rated capacity is 35mm, we have drilled 52mm holes in Channel beams
I have replaced the switch twice
POD
 
Quattromike

Quattromike

Well member-known
Got to admit I'm leaning towards the mini beast but they seem on short supply. Can still get them though.
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
Fein , little KBE 30. But they do big range , worth a look. If one tickles your fancy DM me I'll see if I can sort u a price out sometimes get ex demos etc (We are a Fein dealer...my day job)
worth knowing ... was always very good gear, but hard to find 'round here ..... had a couple of 9" grinders with the camlock disc lock which was great for site work - no spanner required ;) and always 'let go' ........ still got a few bits of Fein stuff. ........ never seen one of their mag drills though

my big one is a magtron
 
Quattromike

Quattromike

Well member-known
worth knowing ... was always very good gear, but hard to find 'round here ..... had a couple of 9" grinders with the camlock disc lock which was great for site work - no spanner required ;) and always 'let go' ........ still got a few bits of Fein stuff. ........ never seen one of their mag drills though

my big one is a magtron
Yep I agree FEIN make good gear but they don't seem to make them easy to get.
 
Quattromike

Quattromike

Well member-known
I've used a few magtrons over the years and been impressed. It's just over the last 30 years there's sometimes a new tech or different approach that is worth a look
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
I've used a few magtrons over the years and been impressed. It's just over the last 30 years there's sometimes a new tech or different approach that is worth a look
that one of mine is pushing 30 yrs old and used to get used everyday in the shop .... never had a set of brushes yet (speak too soon) .. the variable speed on it is so useful too
think this'd be my choice for a little un
1619283872424.png
1619283946682.png
 
Quattromike

Quattromike

Well member-known
that one of mine is pushing 30 yrs old and used to get used everyday in the shop .... never had a set of brushes yet (speak too soon) .. the variable speed on it is so useful too
think this'd be my choice for a little un
View attachment 24085View attachment 24086
Too heavy @V8Druid everyone wants a 10/12 kg machine that can do 30mm holes.
Looking at a jancy minibeast thin, can apparently hold on as thin as 3mm 😳 be hand for box section and the like.
 
Canal Navvy

Canal Navvy

Well-known member
I bought an ex hire magtron with the Hitachi head years ago and it has served me very well, pleased to see that if it goes walkies I could pretty much buy the same again
 
B

bobthebuilder

Well-known member
i have an evolution ,great bit of kit, bored out 2 x 44mm bushes the other day
 
Bri963

Bri963

Well-known member
X3 on the Magtron. We have the older version of the 18.5kg version, it’s been chugging away for over ten years and it’s a fantastic bit of kit. They do a lighter version which you can handle on your own. The small one will do 30 mm holes as long as you aren’t in a rush and you can sharpen a drill.
 
Top