What tractor and grass cutter

Vinpetrol

Vinpetrol

Well-known member
What sort of cheap and cheerful tractor would work for a 3 acre over grown field and what implement would be best to keep on top off the grass . I don’t want a goat or a sheep . One patch is a wet hole so I would need to drain this area before a tractor could work in it but the rest is a fairly gentle slope
 
diggerjones

diggerjones

Well-known member
Do you want a cab? Are you just thinking of keeping it tidy. I've got a flail and a traditional topper. The flail makes the best job. 3 or 4k should get you something half decent
 
Vinpetrol

Vinpetrol

Well-known member
Do you want a cab? Are you just thinking of keeping it tidy. I've got a flail and a traditional topper. The flail makes the best job. 3 or 4k should get you something half decent
No I don't want a cab . I've been looking on line and thought a flail would be ideal . I've been looking at older grey diesel fergies and 135 or 240 Massey . Only because that's what I learnt to drive on though and they seem to go forever. I was also looking at the more compact tractors but I'm assuming they won't last as long and more likely had a fair bit of abuse . I know feck all about tractors though so need advice. I'm assuming flail on 2.5 tonne machine would be to slow.
 
S

Smiffy

Well-known member
No I don't want a cab . I've been looking on line and thought a flail would be ideal . I've been looking at older grey diesel fergies and 135 or 240 Massey . Only because that's what I learnt to drive on though and they seem to go forever. I was also looking at the more compact tractors but I'm assuming they won't last as long and more likely had a fair bit of abuse . I know feck all about tractors though so need advice. I'm assuming flail on 2.5 tonne machine would be to slow.

Some of the vintage tractors are a bit high geared to work well with a flail.
I think dobin has another compact for sale ATM.
 
Vinpetrol

Vinpetrol

Well-known member
Some of the vintage tractors are a bit high geared to work well with a flail.
I think dobin has another compact for sale ATM.
Are the compact tractors more suitable to flails ? what has @doobin for sale ? i saw a video of an old grey Fergie working with a flail looked ok . What vintage tractors would one work with ? There is a small wood section and a slightly bigger vintage tractor might be handy in there or with a wee trailer
 
Lancs Lad

Lancs Lad

Well-known member
1200 ish flail will be about £1.5k
Price of compacts is coming down nicely but make sure you get hydrostatic.
You'll get a tidy one for 5k now or Devon/Cornish style for less😃
Fergies aren't as good on flail or as nimble imo.
 
Lancs Lad

Lancs Lad

Well-known member
Are the compact tractors more suitable to flails ? what has @doobin for sale ? i saw a video of an old grey Fergie working with a flail looked ok . What vintage tractors would one work with ? There is a small wood section and a slightly bigger vintage tractor might be handy in there or with a wee trailer
Sounds like your talking yourself into a 35😆
Imo compact more versatile these days .
Kubota best resale, something around 25-30hp with appropriate flail will happily do 2-3 acres with a decent set of Bluetooth muffs ... a peaceful afternoon 😎
 
heritage machining

heritage machining

Well-known member
Best bet is probably a larger mower like my Jacobsen 70 inch cut. out front rear steer will easily do 3 acres in a couple of hrs mine came from a scrapyard (as most of my machines seem to I love a bargain)for 600 quid
 
Vinpetrol

Vinpetrol

Well-known member
Sounds like your talking yourself into a 35😆
Imo compact more versatile these days .
Kubota best resale, something around 25-30hp with appropriate flail will happily do 2-3 acres with a decent set of Bluetooth muffs ... a peaceful afternoon 😎
I'm open minded ! I'm just old enough to remember 135s being new !
what model compacts are we talking ?
 
Vinpetrol

Vinpetrol

Well-known member
Best bet is probably a larger mower like my Jacobsen 70 inch cut. out front rear steer will easily do 3 acres in a couple of hrs mine came from a scrapyard (as most of my machines seem to I love a bargain)for 600 quid
the ground might be a bit rough for a mower deck . 70 inch cut sounds awesome though
 
diggerjones

diggerjones

Well-known member
Think mine is 17 hp and the flail is 1500mm wide. It drives it ok but not in heavy stuff
20210612_144706.jpg
 
Thomas7740

Thomas7740

Well-known member
35x or 135 do the trick. Fergies are handy but no live drive is a pain. Would rather spend £8k on a nice Massey than some random compact tractor, be easier to sell a 135 etc on if need be surely?
 
William127

William127

Well-known member
35, 135, dexta, etc will all do the job, easy to maintain and operate, hold their value and make you smile (if you're into old tractors obviously). 3-4k will get you the pick of the bunch. Live drive is a must for me.
Or for more for your money look for an industrial version of a 35/135 (my personal preference, very similar but 2/3rds the price), international, leyland or david brown.
Mower wise, a topper would be best value and cut quickly, even if the first cut takes a bit more time and effort- I topped my field twice this summer, 3 hours first time, 1.5 the next.
 
Top