What MPG are your Vans Vans getting?

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
Was it called angel gear? Or am i miss remembering it.
quite possibly, as you'd be likely to meet 'em if it got away from you ..... not one i've heard though :rolleyes:

Storrsy

Storrsy

My old 300tdi defender does 20-24 with a mix of empty and towing 3.5ton, generally hilly stop and start type journeys so not complaining

Lancs Lad

Lancs Lad

V6 Amarok on AT tyres towing...mpg isn't a topic to ponder over ...20 on a good day

B

Brendan

So what are these landrovers really getting between being recovered or rolling down hill

Storrsy

Storrsy

So what are these landrovers really getting between being recovered or rolling down hill
I’ll take the bait 😂 you can laugh but my 300tdi has never had any engine work done to it other than cam belt and oil changes in the 190k miles of which approx half is towing 3.5ton. Rock solid reliability in my experience. It’s the rust at 23years old which is the killer.

B

Brendan

I’ll take the bait 😂 you can laugh but my 300tdi has never had any engine work done to it other than cam belt and oil changes in the 190k miles of which approx half is towing 3.5ton. Rock solid reliability in my experience. It’s the rust at 23years old which is the killer.
To be fair they get a bit of stick but like everything you either get a good one or a bad one.
I know someone with an 1986 short wheel base defender, lots of rust and a few holes here and there but still usable. Don't get me wrong I wouldn't want to do any sort of big mileage in one and never really understood why the defender is so much more than a similar aged discovery which has seats that mover more than 30mm backwards and are actually comfy, plus not being squeezed up against the door with the window winder banging on your knee

Storrsy

Storrsy

To be fair they get a bit of stick but like everything you either get a good one or a bad one.
I know someone with an 1986 short wheel base defender, lots of rust and a few holes here and there but still usable. Don't get me wrong I wouldn't want to do any sort of big mileage in one and never really understood why the defender is so much more than a similar aged discovery which has seats that mover more than 30mm backwards and are actually comfy, plus not being squeezed up against the door with the window winder banging on your knee
Oh yes, totally agree on the Disco front. Far better value for money and basically the same thing underneath. I bought a 300tdi series 1, 150k miles 18 months ago for £1500, mint chassis and all pretty straight and original. The equivalent defender would probably be £10k. It was meant to be a temporary solution whilst I got the defender put on a galv chassis but alas it’s become my main vehicle now and defender is just a back up.

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
Oh yes, totally agree on the Disco front. Far better value for money and basically the same thing underneath. I bought a 300tdi series 1, 150k miles 18 months ago for £1500, mint chassis and all pretty straight and original. The equivalent defender would probably be £10k. It was meant to be a temporary solution whilst I got the defender put on a galv chassis but alas it’s become my main vehicle now and defender is just a back up.
totally understandable ... defenders are hateful things to drive ... disco is far more civilised (y)

J

Jimoz

quite possibly, as you'd be likely to meet 'em if it got away from you ..... not one i've heard though :rolleyes:
Was chilling at my mams in oz the other year. Why don't you go up tambourine mountain they say. Wasn't really interested that day but took the missus up there in stepdads ute. Coming back rain was quite heavy going down the mountain using gears to slow down certain places no weight on the back lost the back end a bit just from dropping gear. Valuable life lesson.

R

Russell

My auto disco td5 does about 20-22 mpg.
My petrol 4.4 range rover does 14-18 mpg but has 300hp. What I like about the ladies is there cheap to buy and repair and they have a diff on the low range so you can use it to push trailers about and reverse trailer up steep hills/ drives.
Having said that the rangey never really needs low for pulling 2.5t.
You've got to get rid of the air suspension though because it's bloody annoying and constantly failing.
Also a split tailgate is the best thing when towing or in general.

Last edited:
Grahams

Grahams

Don't complain - suggest what's better
Just had a look at the computers whilst in the yard loading up:
Iveco daily 3l 210hp 24.3mpg since new - almost every journey towing 3 to 3.5 tonne.
Ford Ranger 3.2l 20.3mpg since new - about half the journeys towing 3.5 tonne. My pre adblue ranger used to get 23mpg.
My last Defender 130, transit engined piece of s**t about 17mpg - same usage as Ranger

GazCro

GazCro

Just had a look at the computers whilst in the yard loading up:
Iveco daily 3l 210hp 24.3mpg since new - almost every journey towing 3 to 3.5 tonne.
Ford Ranger 3.2l 20.3mpg since new - about half the journeys towing 3.5 tonne. My pre adblue ranger used to get 23mpg.
My last Defender 130, transit engined piece of s**t about 17mpg - same usage as Ranger
I'd check it at the pump when you fill and work it out yourself off how many miles you get from how many litres you put in. Anyone i know who's worked it out proper vehicle comp is usually about 4mpg out.