welding cast iron

F

fred

Well-known member
was pumping out a footing yesterday and bumped the leg of the pump off the conc which snapped it off and has left a hole in the housing it wont push water out anymore.

is this a scrapper or can it be fixed somehow, i know welding is an issue for cast.

its about the size of a 2p.
 
JD450A

JD450A

Moderattor🐾
was pumping out a footing yesterday and bumped the leg of the pump off the conc which snapped it off and has left a hole in the housing it wont push water out anymore.

is this a scrapper or can it be fixed somehow, i know welding is an issue for cast.

its about the size of a 2p.
Drill. tap and insert a prosthetic if it's just a leg.
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
was pumping out a footing yesterday and bumped the leg of the pump off the conc which snapped it off and has left a hole in the housing it wont push water out anymore.

is this a scrapper or can it be fixed somehow, i know welding is an issue for cast.

its about the size of a 2p.
it is weldable - probably ... depends a lot on the quality of the cast - and the ability of the welder .... Devcon could also be your friend if the break is still clean and rust free ... if it ain't it'll need shotting off to get it clean again for Devcon/Belzona/JB Weld/whatever to bond it back together ...... you'd be amazed what can be repaired with the 'plastic metal' family ;) have repaired some 'mission impossible' jobs with it (y)
what's the value of the pump?
 
Bri963

Bri963

Well-known member
Preheat, pure nickel electrodes and very slow cool down. There was another rod I’ve used in the dim and distant, believe it was CastEez or CastEase M. Done manholes, pumps, gearboxes and they all held. I’ve even brazed cast, doable but a pain
 
Canal Navvy

Canal Navvy

Well-known member
T.I.G. brazing would be my choice , I think you'd stand a chance of getting a reasonable strength without having to do a complete rebuild
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
Preheat, pure nickel electrodes and very slow cool down. There was another rod I’ve used in the dim and distant, believe it was CastEez or CastEase M. Done manholes, pumps, gearboxes and they all held. I’ve even brazed cast, doable but a pain
used to use Castolin Eutectic CP1010 - always gave decent results on most general cast products .... or even a 299
 
Bri963

Bri963

Well-known member
T.I.G. brazing would be my choice , I think you'd stand a chance of getting a reasonable strength without having to do a complete rebuild
Be interesting to see how this went (on somebody else’s job) but I wonder if the heat would be too localised? With cast you need to heat the whole lump and move fast.
 
Gecko

Gecko

Well-known member
Those "cast-on legs' are a failure waiting to happen.
My suggestion is to cut them off and fabricate steel legs on a pinch-band around the pump body
 
Canal Navvy

Canal Navvy

Well-known member
Be interesting to see how this went (on somebody else’s job) but I wonder if the heat would be too localised? With cast you need to heat the whole lump and move fast.

I've only been playing with tig brazing cast iron this last year, keeping it to own jobs and ones that are non-critical & local so I get to keep an eye on them.

For many years I have used the process for joining machine guards and drip trays made from galvanized sheet. With practise its fairly easy to get a good join with the zinc rolling back over the edge of the braze.

During lockdown I was in a snake of socialy distanced people waiting to go into the supermarket, the division was some brand new pedestrian barriers. Being curious I was giving them the once over and noticed that they appeared to be brazed up of pre-galvanised tube. Getting up close they looked to be mig welded with brass.

Got me google searching mig brazing and reading up. It is the only acceptible way of joining some high tensile body parts in modern cars as it is low heat input.
Got me thinking it might work on cast iron too.

Not wishing to jump in at the deep end with a mig setup I thought I'd try the same method as joining galv sheet.

So far it's looking good but won't really know until a suitable challenging one comes along (tak dipper 🤔)

Oddly enough I didn't get jostled while waiting to get into the shops as others have reported, can't think why 😷
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
I've only been playing with tig brazing cast iron this last year, keeping it to own jobs and ones that are non-critical & local so I get to keep an eye on them.

For many years I have used the process for joining machine guards and drip trays made from galvanized sheet. With practise its fairly easy to get a good join with the zinc rolling back over the edge of the braze.

During lockdown I was in a snake of socialy distanced people waiting to go into the supermarket, the division was some brand new pedestrian barriers. Being curious I was giving them the once over and noticed that they appeared to be brazed up of pre-galvanised tube. Getting up close they looked to be mig welded with brass.

Got me google searching mig brazing and reading up. It is the only acceptible way of joining some high tensile body parts in modern cars as it is low heat input.
Got me thinking it might work on cast iron too.

Not wishing to jump in at the deep end with a mig setup I thought I'd try the same method as joining galv sheet.

So far it's looking good but won't really know until a suitable challenging one comes along (tak dipper 🤔)

Oddly enough I didn't get jostled while waiting to get into the shops as others have reported, can't think why 😷
had some bronze arc rods once, to try ..... TBH can't recall much about them, other than the results not being pretty :rolleyes: .... was a looong time ago
 
Canal Navvy

Canal Navvy

Well-known member
had some bronze arc rods once, to try ..... TBH can't recall much about them, other than the results not being pretty :rolleyes: .... was a looong time ago

Sounds like my experience of aluminium arc rods ..... horrible things 😝
 
F

fred

Well-known member
well, tried some jb weld epoxy, its set pretty hard in 10 mins, will leave it till tomorrow to test.
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
well, tried some jb weld epoxy, its set pretty hard in 10 mins, will leave it till tomorrow to test.
give it a good 12 hrs Fred .... hope it was clean ;)
 
Top