Ts420 wont start!

M

Maxus

Well-known member
I went to use it on Friday it fired up but instantly died, had no fuel in the tank. Refuelled and would not start! As I write this I realise I should try fresh fuel, but pretty sure the fuel I have in the can is reasonably fresh.

Replaced old spark plug, it's definitely producing a spark. Replaced air filters. Took out carb and gave it a clean. Fuel is getting through, as plug is wet and fuel leaking out exhaust! Has good compression.

Before I take it to a machine repair place is there any other things I can try? Perhaps one of you guys has had a similar issue?
 
S

Smiffy

Well-known member
Have you not just flooded it try to restart it ?? Especially if plug is wet and fuel out of exhaust. Take pluug out and put blow gun in whilst turning it over to make sure not to much fuel in cylinder
 
M

Maxus

Well-known member
My first thoughts on Friday was it was flooded, but after leaving it for several hours before giving it another go.. Still no joy, so i don't think it's that.

It's been running brilliantly ever since I acquired it, no sign of problems up until now. To be fair this will be the first service its had... so maybe a blessing in disguise given the dust that was in the first filter.

I'll have another look tommorow... thanks for your suggestions.
 
D

DaveDCB

Well-known member
Mine had a spate of doing the same as yours, then oneday it was gone again. Could be bad fuel, ontop of being flooded ontop of blocked filters.. And then sometimes they just want to piss you off(abit like a woman) 🤫
 
B

bobthebuilder

Well-known member
Mine had a spate of doing the same as yours, then oneday it was gone again. Could be bad fuel, ontop of being flooded ontop of blocked filters.. And then sometimes they just want to piss you off(abit like a woman) 🤫
mine is always the plug ,change the plug and away it goes
 
maz

maz

Well-known member
I switched all my gardening tools to battery because of this hassle. It was usually after winter I would go to get the strimmer or hedge trimmer etc and same song and dance. It’s possible the diaphragm on the carb has dried out and needs replaced. I’ve found using Aspen petrol alternative has helped this year with my chain saw but at £32 for 5L delivered its not for every day use. :oops:
 
M

Maxus

Well-known member
Got the b*stard running. Which is a relief as it was the first time I had taken one of these, quiet complicated and fiddly, machines apart.

A fair bit of smoke out the exhaust initially, so yes probably flooded, which is a bit embarrassing. I understand there's a spark arrester in the exhaust that's a steel mesh, if this was clogged up would that be contributing to my problems?

The weird thing is it fired up straight away with the choke fully on (and then died, as it should), then with the choke half on, not a bit of it... I had to use a bit of ether to get it going.
 
T whiting

T whiting

Well-known member
the problem is its a sthil every now and again they just don't want to start. I've never worked out why there never as good as when there new it dosnt seem to matter what parts you change.

id get a husky they start first time every time and needing there special oil stops them being run with no/ half mixed oil
 
S

Smiffy

Well-known member
the problem is its a sthil every now and again they just don't want to start. I've never worked out why there never as good as when there new it dosnt seem to matter what parts you change.

id get a husky they start first time every time and needing there special oil stops them being run with no/ half mixed oil

Problem is neither Makita not Husqvarna do a saw as well balanced as the ts410 or ts420. Hilti make one but I have heard a lot of bad reports about them.
Not sure who else there is that make a petrol saw
 
Lancs Lad

Lancs Lad

Well-known member
the problem is its a sthil every now and again they just don't want to start. I've never worked out why there never as good as when there new it dosnt seem to matter what parts you change.

id get a husky they start first time every time and needing there special oil stops them being run with no/ half mixed oil
You've obvs never run a husky chainsaw then 😂
 
Mick-the-fitter

Mick-the-fitter

It’s what I do!
Turn the fuel off, get some WD40 remove air filter spray a bit in, see what happens.
 
Furniss

Furniss

Well-known member
Problem is neither Makita not Husqvarna do a saw as well balanced as the ts410 or ts420. Hilti make one but I have heard a lot of bad reports about them.
Not sure who else there is that make a petrol saw
I agree my Husky K750 isnt as well balanced as a Stihl but its a good starter 🤞
 
T whiting

T whiting

Well-known member
You've obvs never run a husky chainsaw then 😂
Have you had problems wit husky chainsaws?

When I worked at elvington plant there was about 15 cutoff huskys on fleet and the only bother they gave was when they had the wrong oil in tip it out and re fill with the right stuff. there was a odd one with a snapped arm but they wern't very common
 
Lancs Lad

Lancs Lad

Well-known member
Have you had problems wit husky chainsaws?

When I worked at elvington plant there was about 15 cutoff huskys on fleet and the only bother they gave was when they had the wrong oil in tip it out and re fill with the right stuff. there was a odd one with a snapped arm but they wern't very common
Tbf it was slight jest as u on about cutoff saws but I've been tempted to chip my mk1550 in fits of rage...well known issue.
Mk2 is fine tho 😅 @Monkeybusiness and @doobin will know what I'm on about
 
B

bobthebuilder

Well-known member
the problem is its a sthil every now and again they just don't want to start. I've never worked out why there never as good as when there new it dosnt seem to matter what parts you change.

id get a husky they start first time every time and needing there special oil stops them being run with no/ half mixed oil
i have had my 410 ages and cut miles with it,keep air filter clean and a new plug handy ,and it has never failed to start
 
Top