Today was fun ....

F

fred

Well-known member
House was flooded today. Last 2 months of rain on and off continuous then last 72 hours torrential. Pumps held it back until power went off and the Honda 2” threw a blade and lost pressure.

id like to be better prepared next time, I’d like a 4” diesel , any advice ?
 
K

Komatsu

Well-known member
House was flooded today. Last 2 months of rain on and off continuous then last 72 hours torrential. Pumps held it back until power went off and the Honda 2” threw a blade and lost pressure.

id like to be better prepared next time, I’d like a 4” diesel , any advice ?
So sorry to hear that Fred, where abouts are you?
 
M

Monkeybusiness

Well-known member
That’s really bad news, sorry to hear.
Not what you are asking but I bought a cheap Chinese Honda copy 3 inch trash pump off eBay at least 15 years ago hoping it would last for 1 job and it is still going strong - my god it shifts some water! You could buy a couple and hold one as a spare before spending considerably money on a better brand that can still suffer impeller issues.
I may have got lucky though.
 
Stubota86

Stubota86

Well-known member
House was flooded today. Last 2 months of rain on and off continuous then last 72 hours torrential. Pumps held it back until power went off and the Honda 2” threw a blade and lost pressure.

id like to be better prepared next time, I’d like a 4” diesel , any advice ?


Sorry to hear that

these guys seem to have an impressive range of pumps;


Might be worth a call to them
 
Regy53

Regy53

I like cake
Sorry to hear that. Where abouts are you? Easier said than done now but defo invest in a powered pump? Hope you get sorted ASAP and this rain stops
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
House was flooded today. Last 2 months of rain on and off continuous then last 72 hours torrential. Pumps held it back until power went off and the Honda 2” threw a blade and lost pressure.

id like to be better prepared next time, I’d like a 4” diesel , any advice ?
bad news that Ryan .... hope the damage isn't too extensive Boyo :(:cry:
I bought a 2" Loncin, Hodna copy, not long after we moved here in '10 .... have said before somewhere ... gets irregular use but always starts first pull and hell it shifts water ....
whole 'kit' - 6m pick up, 15m discharge, quick couplers, etc was less than 140 quid back then and still see them but gone up a bit...
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Loncin-5...938269?hash=item54410289dd:g:sIwAAOSwodlazbsS

or just the unit ...

cheap enough to have a couple sat and easy to handle ...... can't fault mine
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
I'd be looking towards something like this. They have a good flow rate, can run dry without damage.

bet that lil' Yanny'd take some pulling over if you don't keep the battery up :oops:
 
A

Alan caddy

Well-known member
I would also recommend the drysite pump will go for days on a tank of fuel has a decompressor fitted if hard to start
 
TiltyShaun

TiltyShaun

Well-known member
Tried my best to keep a river out of a friends house this afternoon but unfortunately failed. Picked up a 3” petrol pump at lunchtime after their electric sump pumps failed. Kept it down for a while but ultimately it kept blocking up with garden leaves. So ant ideas on how to sort out a sump that doesn’t drag the debris in would be appreciated.

Hopefully the damage is not to drastic for you Fred.
 
diggerjones

diggerjones

Well-known member
I've just sent a price to my next door neighbour for flood defence wall. They got flooded a couple of weeks ago. I thought for a sump, bury a couple of manhole rings and top. Could put mesh over it for debris.
 
Shovelhands

Shovelhands

Well-known member
If you’ve got to pump stuff in a hurry, and handle a bit of trash in the process, then it’s a Sykes self priming vacuum pump for me. I have several. All with Lister engines, start easily and run for ages on a tank of cherry. Bloody good, reliable old pumps.
Like everything, they need to be maintained, but they do a great job when you need them. But I appreciate they might be a little overkill for a standby pump at home.

I’ve got a 2” Hilta pump with a Honda GX on it, great little pump, but needs priming and blocking of the gauze on the suction is an issue sometimes. But certainly does a job.
 
Last edited:
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
I've just sent a price to my next door neighbour for flood defence wall. They got flooded a couple of weeks ago. I thought for a sump, bury a couple of manhole rings and top. Could put mesh over it for debris.
made a mesh cage for Alex a while back to fit inside some manhole rings ... same sort of thing .. keep the leaves/debris at bay
WP_20170726_14_21_53_Pro.jpg


WP_20170726_14_47_45_Pro.jpg
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
If you’ve got to pump stuff in a hurry, and handle a bit of trash in the process, then it’s a Sykes self priming vacuum pump for me. I have several. All with Lister engines, start easily and run for ages on a tank of cherry. Bloody good, reliable old pumps.
Like everything, they need to be maintained, but they do a great job when you need them. But I appreciate they might be a little overkill for a standby pump at home.

I’ve got a 2” Hilti pump with a Honda GX on it, great little pump, but needs priming and blocking of the gauze on the suction is an issue sometimes. But certainly does a job.
sounds very similar to me Loncin engined unit James .... hell doesn't it shift water and great on fuel really :rolleyes:
 
Shovelhands

Shovelhands

Well-known member
sounds very similar to me Loncin engined unit James .... hell doesn't it shift water and great on fuel really :rolleyes:
I don’t think I’d class them as great on fuel 😂, but I suppose when you consider what they will shift on a tankful then maybe they are not that bad.
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
I don’t think I’d class them as great on fuel 😂, but I suppose when you consider what they will shift on a tankful then maybe they are not that bad.
hence the "really" James .... working hard when it's got a lungful and shoving it down 15m of discharge line .... cost versus process /result
... if it's keeping yer house dry/doing the job, what's a couple o' gallons of motion lotion in the scheme of things ;)
 
F

fred

Well-known member
Thanks for the replies, our 2” Honda was buggered by debris and the electric kept blocking with leaves as well.

im looking at another electric , this one takes 65mm solids and shifts 750 lpm


Also getting a diesel one in case power goes, this Hyundai looks ok 30mm solids and 880 lpm


Got the house stripped of flooring, skirts doors etc and have 4 big dehumidifiers drying. Looking to be in for Christmas with a bit of luck.
 
JD450A

JD450A

Feral as Fk 🐾
We have just brought a secondhand JCB Hydrainer (Hydralic) 2" pump. By f**k does it shift water.

Sykes Self priming, or any similar pump though is the boy for emergency pumping as James has said. There about the only type of pump that will happily deal with varying volumes of water over a long period... that's the issue with rotary pumps that end up cavitating and killing themselves, and electric ones wind up stopping and starting too much :( The self primers come up in the 4" size quite often for under a couple grand. Something worth having in the yard if your at risk...
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
Thanks for the replies, our 2” Honda was buggered by debris and the electric kept blocking with leaves as well.

im looking at another electric , this one takes 65mm solids and shifts 750 lpm


Also getting a diesel one in case power goes, this Hyundai looks ok 30mm solids and 880 lpm


Got the house stripped of flooring, skirts doors etc and have 4 big dehumidifiers drying. Looking to be in for Christmas with a bit of luck.
feel for you Boyo :(.... not nice anytime, but the weather's awful to be dealing with that sh*t .... hope you manage to get it sorted soon (y)
 
Top