Tipper Hitch maintenance - Bradley HU12 hitch

R

rossandson

Well-known member
Hi all, I want to give my 3.5t atlas tipper (Bradley hitch and Knott brakes I believe) a little bit of love, its in need of a new damper and bellow which looks to be about £100ish. However the actual hitch head still has life in it but not sure how much, wondering about replacing the whole unit, little bit more cost (approx £260ish) but least the whole thing is good for many more years.

However I'm wondering if I could replace it with a different hitch type, as not the biggest fan of the Bradley hitch style, however that might be as this one is a little older and needs some love. Anyone changed a hitch before?
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
Hi all, I want to give my 3.5t atlas tipper (Bradley hitch and Knott brakes I believe) a little bit of love, its in need of a new damper and bellow which looks to be about £100ish. However the actual hitch head still has life in it but not sure how much, wondering about replacing the whole unit, little bit more cost (approx £260ish) but least the whole thing is good for many more years.

However I'm wondering if I could replace it with a different hitch type, as not the biggest fan of the Bradley hitch style, however that might be as this one is a little older and needs some love. Anyone changed a hitch before?
can you be more specific as to which Bradley - presume it's a delta type? any pix?
new bellows're cheap enaough .. not bought a head in a while and have a few here ..
some kits on fleabay


can't see a 3500kg one though
complete delta is eyewatering


knott are cheaper, but I am a Bradley fan ... much more solid job
 
R

rossandson

Well-known member
It’s a HU12. Like this but not as shiny! 😁

496272E6-2A8B-43A8-8CF2-9AB7399A603C.jpeg


I’ve found a supplier selling whole new units for £260 plus postage about £275. A new damper is £50-70, new bellow is £20ish and a new head is about £80-£100. But everyone wants postage on top. So you’re at £150/£190 plus postage.

Then maybe you start wondering the energy store/handbrake has seen better days. Do you just replace the lot.

I’m planning on keeping the trailer so I’d like to get it all right, it’s not bad much love. Was my first trailer, got it 2nd hand many moons back and it had been used then. 2010 I think from memory. But such a handy tool. Brakes need a good service / check over too. I installed wireless remotes for tipping a few years back, works great.

Maybe best to stick with same as I have then you know it will fit.
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
cheap enough compared to spares ....... also consider the slider tube/mount will have done an immense amount of work too ... plus the old unit will have 'a value' on ebay ... for 275 quid I'd be replacing it wholesale ... be surprised if some cheapskate didn't give you 100 quid, or more, for the old unit on fleabay ;)(y)
 
Last edited:
R

rossandson

Well-known member
cheap enough compared to spares ....... also consider the slider tube/mount will have done an immense amount of work too ... plus the old unit will have 'a value' on ebay ... for 275 quid I'd be replacing it wholesale ... be surprised if some cheapskate didn't give you 100 quid for the old unit on fleabay ;)(y)
True enough! Everyone loves a bargain. Think it be a wise decision. Just waiting to hear back that it does include everything and it’s not a stripped down version for some reason.

Then the brakes! It will be like new in a few thousand pounds time! 🤣🤣
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
also consider, they'm like a hand grenade to dismantle :oops: .... new one arrives and you bolt it straight on, plus you have a lock clip to stick in the old one for handling it when on the floor (y)
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
True enough! Everyone loves a bargain. Think it be a wise decision. Just waiting to hear back that it does include everything and it’s not a stripped down version for some reason.

Then the brakes! It will be like new in a few thousand pounds time! 🤣🤣
might be worth considering complete axles ... someone on here swapped theirs as the difference between spares and complete was not a lot .... and same applies ... old ones'll have a s/h value to someone
 
Left hooker

Left hooker

Well-known member
might be worth considering complete axles ... someone on here swapped theirs as the difference between spares and complete was not a lot .... and same applies ... old ones'll have a s/h value to someone
Twas me on the wife's new to us horse box as needed new stubs as some ham fist had a go at releasing the seized brakes with something hard and heavy
So by time I added up parts cheeper for complete Axel's and a few new cables
 
Top