THE SCAM THREAD

Komatsu

Komatsu

1999A2D7-708D-45D9-A922-C2A27284A01D.jpeg
This was the back half of it when finished, as it was “clay on clay” rather than “clay on rock” the liner was the traditional “tyres”, think this cell was done with shredded tyres, rather than how it used to be done where they would all be hand balled into place and stacked in a “herring bone effect” going vertical rather than horizontal, again, this acts as a cushion and allows the leacha ( black liquid that comes out of the tip of all the waste water and de-composting foods etc) to be able to run to the bottom of the cell and then be pumped out and the gas burned off.

Komatsu

Komatsu

A0BE0003-8252-4974-B710-77D77645C84F.jpeg
One of the new trucks from Cheetham Hill, and I think that was a new 450 at the time, it was cheap as it was around the time that they were swapping from the -6 model to the -7 model. -6 been the back of the cab slopping and the -7 been the ones we see now a days with the square cab.

Komatsu

Komatsu

339D5C77-A519-497C-B185-0691E98A4D0D.jpeg
D59AE58B-AE98-432A-A7D3-0D2586AA7425.jpeg
Hopefully will give it a bit of scale, the waste would get taken to approximately a metre below ground level. It would then be covered, making what is the “top of the batter” in the picture, the “toe of the batter” if that makes sense.

Komatsu

Komatsu

As you can see it was a fresh site😎 and a big one at that, we took out to the trees in the distance
E8789B50-F1DB-4481-884E-00FEF776BE2C.jpeg
E8789B50-F1DB-4481-884E-00FEF776BE2C.jpeg
6FF31DE8-9730-4617-8809-F47076EE1822.jpeg

Komatsu

Komatsu

And this is was the first cut and where the bund started at the entrance, there was also a new ditch to divert and go in which went round the whole site and went in to the right of the picture.
5994F627-091B-4DDC-907D-2740F498B690.jpeg

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
yeh great pix ....... terrible waste of what looked to be a perfectly productive green field site though ... surely there'd have been suitable brownfield sites/old quarries/whatever that would have been better used ??:unsure:

Komatsu

Komatsu

yeh great pix ....... terrible waste of what looked to be a perfectly productive green field site though ... surely there'd have been suitable brownfield sites/old quarries/whatever that would have been better used ??:unsure:
It was an extension to the existing tip Gra and no quarries or brown field sites would be big enough to cope with the amount of waste that gets bought in from York and the surrounding areas. Going back about 18 or so years now, and things have changed in a big way. At the time it was only one of a handful of tips that were given the green light to proceed on a fresh site down to the fazing out of landfills.

Last edited:
Bri963

Bri963

I did several irrigation lagoons in the 90’s, not too different from those cells the way we did them, we stripped the topsoil and stockpiled, then the subsoil (what we call vault clay round here) was taken out to do the berms, by that time we were into blue clay which went round the edge in a two metre layer. Some were done with scrapers and blades, some with excavators and landfill compactors, drotts and towed rollers, and one (I didn’t work on) entirely with a D4D working on its own, just on its blade.

Never took pictures, I never thought anyone would be interested in looking at pictures of muck being piled up.

Komatsu

Komatsu

I did several irrigation lagoons in the 90’s, not too different from those cells the way we did them, we stripped the topsoil and stockpiled, then the subsoil (what we call vault clay round here) was taken out to do the berms, by that time we were into blue clay which went round the edge in a two metre layer. Some were done with scrapers and blades, some with excavators and landfill compactors, drotts and towed rollers, and one (I didn’t work on) entirely with a D4D working on its own, just on its blade.

Never took pictures, I never thought anyone would be interested in looking at pictures of muck being piled up.
My first ever job on a blade was doing a lagoon, with an old agricultural D4 that had be converted to have a blade on the front of it.

Komatsu

Komatsu

Wasn’t at Peterborough was it?
It was over 20 years ago, not sure what happened to it...the blade lever was like a tiller on a boat😱, left to right rather than up and down.....the lagoon was just outside of York.

Bri963

Bri963

They came out of the factory like that, Ollie. It was so that the old cable boys didn’t get confused. There were some about with cable lift, and hydraulic tilt operated by two foot pedals on the left fender.

Komatsu

Komatsu

They came out of the factory like that, Ollie. It was so that the old cable boys didn’t get confused. There were some about with cable lift, and hydraulic tilt operated by two foot pedals on the left fender.
Thanks, didn’t know that😀, no hydraulic tilt or drums on the back, just a hitch for pulling attachments, sub-soilers etc, think it had a hand clutch? on the right hand side?

Bri963

Bri963

Clutch on left, forward/reverse on right. If my memory hasn’t totally gone. The first 6 I operated was fully hydraulic with the tiller, same as your 4.

Komatsu

Komatsu

Clutch on left, forward/reverse on right. If my memory hasn’t totally gone. The first 6 I operated was fully hydraulic with the tiller, same as your 4.
Struggling to remember to be honest, And were the gears on the floor in-between your feet??....remember how I was when I was first on it........up and down up and down🤮🤦🏻‍♂️.....and also remember the first time I actually got the grass and soil that I was stripping off, started to roll up and over the blade.😎

Komatsu

Komatsu

Starting to remember now🙂, there must of been a couple of hydraulic ports on the back, because my actual first job wasn’t the lagoon, it was pulling a sub-soil, that got must of got lifted out of the ground at each end??

I remember been shown by an old boy at the time who, I was going to see to get shown how to drive it.
I remember going round the field with him, trying take in what he was telling me at the same time as been excited that I was actually going to be driving one!!.....that feeling soon went out of the door after we had done one lap of the field..... he jumped out of it....said it was my turn....followed by “ I’m off back to me car for a sleep, wake me up when your done!!😱....it was only 8:30 and it was a big field!!....the next day I was just by myself, had a few weeks if I’m right before I did that lagoon. Sounding old now, but they were the good old days when you could just jump on and have a go😎

Last edited: