The great reset, not that one.

S

Slick_50

Member
I also did a great reset on my life a few years ago (well documented on here/ CE Forum) so understand where you are coming from although had nowhere near as many blokes or enough money to retire on 😕 But fast forward 3 years and I am now in a much better place for it.... I think...

It sounds like whatever you do, you don't need to do it full time initially, just something to fill the days and enjoy what you do. So the pressure of paying the bills every month isn't so critical and you can try a few things out without it really mattering too much.

If you still enjoy the "actual work" part of civils and just want to avoid the bullshit, then small groundwork/ owner operating a sub 3t digger isn't a bad living. I struggled to turn away my old clients though who were always pushing me to take on more than I wanted to again - because you haven't really left the game they still come knocking.

Working for someone else isn't to be ignored - chances are the right man would pay very strong money to have someone who understands what it takes to run blokes and a business and you could leave at the end of the day and not worry about it, whilst still enjoying some of the freedoms you currently have as its likely they will leave you to your own devices.

Sometimes a good holiday to clear the head can help get some thinking time in, downsizing is stressful in itself and I couldn't see any route out when I was going through that. Literally said to everyone I was giving it up completely, work in Tescos or something (quite possibly more profitable than working for some developers!) and it was only once I had got rid of the staff, financial ties, equipment etc that I could fully focus on what I was going to do next so don't panic if you don't know at the moment. It will become apparent in time.
Thanks for the reply mate appreciate it.

I think probably groundworks will be the way. I'm no where near finished with my working life yet and that's where it all started for me too.

I've considered working for someone plenty of work Bout especially at the moment seeing as good lads seem to be short supply!
 
S

Slick_50

Member
think like most folk with any capital tied up or accrued, you're worried about having it taken from you ??? they are worrying times, I agree .... that prospect is seriously daunting :oops::censored::(
Who said anything about having my money taken from me?
Worried about making a bad decision and spunking a load of cash, yes.
It being taken. No.
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
I also did a great reset on my life a few years ago (well documented on here/ CE Forum) so understand where you are coming from although had nowhere near as many blokes or enough money to retire on 😕 But fast forward 3 years and I am now in a much better place for it.... I think...

It sounds like whatever you do, you don't need to do it full time initially, just something to fill the days and enjoy what you do. So the pressure of paying the bills every month isn't so critical and you can try a few things out without it really mattering too much.

If you still enjoy the "actual work" part of civils and just want to avoid the bullshit, then small groundwork/ owner operating a sub 3t digger isn't a bad living. I struggled to turn away my old clients though who were always pushing me to take on more than I wanted to again - because you haven't really left the game they still come knocking.

Working for someone else isn't to be ignored - chances are the right man would pay very strong money to have someone who understands what it takes to run blokes and a business and you could leave at the end of the day and not worry about it, whilst still enjoying some of the freedoms you currently have as its likely they will leave you to your own devices.

Sometimes a good holiday to clear the head can help get some thinking time in, downsizing is stressful in itself and I couldn't see any route out when I was going through that. Literally said to everyone I was giving it up completely, work in Tescos or something (quite possibly more profitable than working for some developers!) and it was only once I had got rid of the staff, financial ties, equipment etc that I could fully focus on what I was going to do next so don't panic if you don't know at the moment. It will become apparent in time.
sound advice
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
I think @V8Druid is referring to the potential of a government grab either in bank reform or by way of inflation!!
spot on @Shaun .. it's not too much of a stretch of the imagination, the way things seem to be going, to suddenly find serious controls imposed over the way one administers one's own finances, with even very strict control over access to your own funds.
It concerns me greatly TBH. o_O
there are enough restrictions now :(:censored: ...
try withdrawing £5k in cash, from any of your bank accounts ...
" why/what for/passport/ID/inside leg measurement/grand dad's shoe size ?? " .. I sh1t you not ... 🤬
and I've banked with them nigh on 50 years, privately and 35 +/odd years biz-wise, with a completely untarnished, 100% creditworthy, always in the black record :rolleyes::mad:
it's your money not theirs, but you would seriously think otherwise :mad: :mad: ...
you want anything over £10k cash and it's a fortnight's written notice FFS 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

Boris and co.'d think nothing of freezing ppl's bank accounts at the blink of an eye
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
Ah then @V8Druid please accept my apologies.

I hadn't even considered that I'd rather have the cash in a digger then the govs pocket
give it serious thought Boyo .... if the sh1t hits the fan, I could see it happening real quick :(
 
6

6feetdown

Well-known member
spot on @Shaun .. it's not too much of a stretch of the imagination, the way things seem to be going, to suddenly find serious controls imposed over the way one administers one's own finances, with even very strict control over access to your own funds.
It concerns me greatly TBH. o_O
there are enough restrictions now :(:censored: ...
try withdrawing £5k in cash, from any of your bank accounts ...
" why/what for/passport/ID/inside leg measurement/grand dad's shoe size ?? " .. I sh1t you not ... 🤬
and I've banked with them nigh on 50 years, privately and 35 +/odd years biz-wise, with a completely untarnished, 100% creditworthy, always in the black record :rolleyes::mad:
it's your money not theirs, but you would seriously think otherwise :mad: :mad: ...
you want anything over £10k cash and it's a fortnight's written notice FFS 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

Boris and co.'d think nothing of freezing ppl's bank accounts at the blink of an eye
They do not want any cash transactions.
People do not understand the ramifications of electronic money!
 
S

Slick_50

Member
Having read both
give it serious thought Boyo .... if the sh1t hits the fan, I could see it happening real quick :(

Thanks for the reply mate that wouldn't suprise me in the slightest if the government would do that, that already seem to think they can control our personal lives so why not financially too!

That would truely be more s**t then spending it on a waste of time.
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
That would truely be more s**t then spending it on a waste of time.
(y)(y)(y)

I worked hard all my life and used my hands and my head to put me in the relatively secure, comfortable position I'm now in, having cashed all the effort in, to enable me to 'retire' (not quite as/when planned :rolleyes: ), .... but I will be seriously ****ed off if some snotnose little Whitehall sh1t took control of my remaining time, by only allowing me £X amount to function on monthly. :mad::mad: and with no access to what is mine and hard won 🤬🤬🤬
 
S

Slick_50

Member
(y)(y)(y)

I worked hard all my life and used my hands and my head to put me in the relatively secure, comfortable position I'm now in, having cashed all the effort in, to enable me to 'retire' (not quite as/when planned :rolleyes: ), .... but I will be seriously ****ed off if some snotnose little Whitehall sh1t took control of my remaining time, by only allowing me £X amount to function on monthly. :mad::mad: and with no access to what is mine and hard won 🤬🤬🤬
That would be horrific. Years of mud sweat and tears to be told by the lot from Eaton.
It raises questions for what this could mean for people like us to make money. If people can't access money then how would they/could they pay for driveways to be done etc?
 
Furniss

Furniss

Well-known member
(y)(y)(y)

I worked hard all my life and used my hands and my head to put me in the relatively secure, comfortable position I'm now in, having cashed all the effort in, to enable me to 'retire' (not quite as/when planned :rolleyes: ), .... but I will be seriously ****ed off if some snotnose little Whitehall sh1t took control of my remaining time, by only allowing me £X amount to function on monthly. :mad::mad: and with no access to what is mine and hard won 🤬🤬🤬
Comon Graham you already got more gear stood around than 'A' Plant .... might bring used prices down if someone got your purse strings 😁
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
C'mon Graham you already got more gear stood around than 'A' Plant .... might bring used prices down if someone got your purse strings 😁
difference being they buy it all new Kev .... I'm a tight a*sed careful ba***rd who waits for the bargains :giggle: .... of which there are few about these days :(
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
Your going to need to do panoramic shots soon for the "today's job thread" just to get it all in 🙂
Doob's gonna be well pissed off when it all goes pear shaped and he'll be able to have a two for one deal on the stuff :ROFLMAO:
 
doobin

doobin

Well-known member
Your going to need to do panoramic shots soon for the "today's job thread" just to get it all in 🙂
Too much to list! Just this afternoon someone offered me an ifor 6’ wide plant trailer for £800. Needs a new hitch but floor recent and brakes / lights seem ok.
I’ll have it anyway as a spare, but I’m really hoping my 3t dumper fits on. Tape measure says it’s a couple of inches too narrow, but the sides are smooth and tyres have give in them 😂
 
doobin

doobin

Well-known member
Doob's gonna be well pissed off when it all goes pear shaped and he'll be able to have a two for one deal on the stuff :ROFLMAO:
That has crossed my mind. I’m buying mainly new currently as finance is cheap, and keeping a good cash cushion for hard times and potential bargains.
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
Too much to list! Just this afternoon someone offered me an ifor 6’ wide plant trailer for £800. Needs a new hitch but floor recent and brakes / lights seem ok.
I’ll have it anyway as a spare, but I’m really hoping my 3t dumper fits on. Tape measure says it’s a couple of inches too narrow, but the sides are smooth and tyres have give in them 😂
what length ? Button B option here 'praps ;)
 
Top