Takeuchi 016 won't lift itself

T

Tacitus

Active member
Hi guys. After a few month of inactivity, I did some work with the machine and discovered that it didn't lift itself to expand the tracks. The blade was ok, but the arm seemed not to have the strength to lift it. I managed to giggle it sideways to expand the tracks and could do the job, but afterwards, the same problem. to make matters worse, left side does not retract fully. Any ideas what can be the cause?
 
D

DaveDCB

Well-known member
As in just boom down won’t lift it?
Will curling the bucket lift it?
 
T

Tacitus

Active member
So the boom should be horizontal and the arm at 90 degree and lift with the boom? Sorry guys, I am a complete novice and no one taught me how to operate. I remember the previous owner doing this lifting to expand the tracks no problem. I try again tomorrow. What about the left track not closing fully? could it be dirt accumulated down there? The square guide that goes in and out appears very rusty.
 
S

Steve

Well-known member
So the boom should be horizontal and the arm at 90 degree and lift with the boom? Sorry guys, I am a complete novice and no one taught me how to operate. I remember the previous owner doing this lifting to expand the tracks no problem. I try again tomorrow. What about the left track not closing fully? could it be dirt accumulated down there? The square guide that goes in and out appears very rusty.
Yes it will most likely be a build up of crud. Try making a habit of removing the cover under the under carriage & pressure washing it out each time you clean it.
 
T

Tacitus

Active member
OK, that' a relief. I thought I must be doing something wrong. So why lift with the boom first? There is only one pump for both.
Yes I did use the blade down first every time. I'll remember to do the reverse next time.
I'll pressure clean it thoroughly too.
I did notice another thing this time. To get to the job I had to travel on sealed road about 100 meters and then turn down a rocky ramp to get to a dirt area to dig a trench. As I was going on the asphalt, I engaged the faster button and noticed that it did not want to turn left. It was going ok in a straight line but as I wanted to turn, the right track was not going on it's own. When I switched to slow, it seemed to respond better. Does that mean my right main drive is shot?
Come to think of it I didn't check the oil level. It has 3300 hs and (allegedly) had the 3000 hs service
 
Last edited:
T

Tacitus

Active member
Yes it will most likely be a build up of crud. Try making a habit of removing the cover under the under carriage & pressure washing it out each time you clean it.
Err, where is this cover I must remove? :mad:
 
Mick-the-fitter

Mick-the-fitter

It’s what I do!
Belly plate 4 bolts, from underneath the track frame, another issue is the track ram cover getting bent when retracted and then won’t retract again!
 
S

Smiffy

Well-known member
OK, that' a relief. I thought I must be doing something wrong. So why lift with the boom first? There is only one pump for both.
Yes I did use the blade down first every time. I'll remember to do the reverse next time.
I'll pressure clean it thoroughly too.
I did notice another thing this time. To get to the job I had to travel on sealed road about 100 meters and then turn down a rocky ramp to get to a dirt area to dig a trench. As I was going on the asphalt, I engaged the faster button and noticed that it did not want to turn left. It was going ok in a straight line but as I wanted to turn, the right track was not going on it's own. When I switched to slow, it seemed to respond better. Does that mean my right main drive is shot?
Come to think of it I didn't check the oil level. It has 3300 hs and (allegedly) had the 3000 hs service

It's not about the pump it's about leverage. Dropping the blade puts the fulcrum back by around 500mm. Making the down force required by the boom greater.
 
T

Tacitus

Active member
It's not about the pump it's about leverage. Dropping the blade puts the fulcrum back by around 500mm. Making the down force required by the boom greater.
Of course, I see now. Thank you Smiffy.
What do you think about the drive?
 
S

Smiffy

Well-known member
Of course, I see now. Thank you Smiffy.
What do you think about the drive?

Hard to say from the description. In my experience it's not uncommon for machines to struggle to turn in high gear. And sometimes if one track is slightly submerged in material or mud. That can be enough resistance to stop it turning one direction
 
GazCro

GazCro

Well-known member
Of course, I see now. Thank you Smiffy.
What do you think about the drive?
If you're slewed to one side a bit or the arm offset to one side to bias the weight onto one track you'll find turning not as easy. Tbh high speed is for straight lines.
 
T

topkit

Well-known member
I only track my 1.5 ton digger in 2nd speed in a straight line i flick it to firts speed if I am turning the machine, when I originally got it it would not track turn very easily, Then I found the micro switch on the floor was caked up, stupid place to put one anyway so I lengthened the wiring removed the micro swich and put a switch in the dash which works every time and is much better.
 
Top