Tacho for 4x4 and trailer

B

Brendan

I'm sure you can fit your own tacho and just have it calibrated rather than an installation cost. I know my ranger is prewired from factory for a tacho.
Currently I don't need a tacho but some of my work is pushing close to the 60mile radius.
What would the rule be for towing a welfare unit? Would it still be exempt like towing a digger if it's for my own use?

JD450A

JD450A

Feral as Fk 🐾
I'm not sure how it works but I know they are only short different receivers and transmitters
Also they don't upload that much information they can't read your drivers hours they still need a download for that there is a publication in one of the hgv mags about it but it's intended to catch out operators rather than drivers

My understanding is it's basically a ping that can be sent from the mobile DVSA unit driving along to the tacho head.

Tacho will then send out data on the last time the card was downloaded, hours spent since last break etc. Very basic Intel so they can pick and choose who they pull.

As I have said before we need a major rethink in the UK on O Licensing, Drivers Hours and Vehicle Management. New O License for those wishing to run one truck under 18t, no maintenance commitments under say 1000 miles a month, but Plating every 6 months and drive on UK hours.

S

Smiffy

My understanding is it's basically a ping that can be sent from the mobile DVSA unit driving along to the tacho head.

Tacho will then send out data on the last time the card was downloaded, hours spent since last break etc. Very basic Intel so they can pick and choose who they pull.

As I have said before we need a major rethink in the UK on O Licensing, Drivers Hours and Vehicle Management. New O License for those wishing to run one truck under 18t, no maintenance commitments under say 1000 miles a month, but Plating every 6 months and drive on UK hours.

They can't remotely access driver information they get a ping from the following list

1. Vehicle registration plate
2. Speeding Event
3. Driving Without Valid Card
4. Valid Driver Card
5. Card Insertion while Driving
6. Motion Data Error
7. Vehicle Motion Conflict
8. 2nd Driver Card
9. Current Activity
10. Last Session Closed
11. Power Supply Interruption
12. Sensor Fault
13. Time Adjustment
14. Security Breach Attempt
15. Last Calibration
16. Previous Calibration
17. Current Speed
18. Timestamp

I think everyone would agree about your suggested rules
It is ridiculous to lump everyone in together
Driving lots of short periods over a week is alot easier than long blocks

JD450A

JD450A

Feral as Fk 🐾
It is ridiculous to lump everyone in together
Driving lots of short periods over a week is alot easier than long blocks

The other thing that I believe is that a poorly maintained lorry carrying 50% of its capacity is far safer than a well maintained trailer carrying 110% capacity.

At present most 3.5t tippers and pickups/trailers are right up on weight as a minimum. Most trailers are poorly maintained.

Plus it would get a lot of traccys away from running bentish.

B

Brendan

The other thing that I believe is that a poorly maintained lorry carrying 50% of its capacity is far safer than a well maintained trailer carrying 110% capacity.

At present most 3.5t tippers and pickups/trailers are right up on weight as a minimum. Most trailers are poorly maintained.

Safe to say at least 80% of 3.5t tipper trailers/vans are overweight daily by at least .5t.
Have seen pics of of combos at nearly double capacity.

S

Smiffy

I think worse than trailers are the transits

I think I must see half a dozen overloaded transits a day
Not just builders but scaffolders, tree surgeons, removals firms, rubbish clearance
And these pose a far greater risk than the lorrys on the road at least an HGV has fail safe breaks
And most hgv's are rated far higher than UK laws will let them run so there is a good safety margin

B

Brendan

3.5t tipper vans imho are pointless some double cabs can barely carry 750kg legally and single cabs not much better. Problem is the people using them will load till the leaf springs are level but that's around 2.5t of load

JD450A

JD450A

Feral as Fk 🐾
3.5t tipper vans imho are pointless some double cabs can barely carry 750kg legally and single cabs not much better. Problem is the people using them will load till the leaf springs are level but that's around 2.5t of load
Once had my 3.5t Iveco accidentally over the bridge at 7t.... Springs still happy :O

A few years later with a set of 7t buckets I went over at 200kg overweight, that was the deathnail for running the mighty Iveco along with it's lack of traction empty towing a digger trailer :cry:

We did try a Nissan Cabstar which did us well on a couple narrow access jobs we had on. 1.4t payload and had ramps setup to take a micro digger or 1t dumper. But it was a bit flimsy.

Will be putting a dropside tipper on the single cab ranger soon. Only about 800kg payload but enough for the odd job.

Lorries are the way forward, but the Regulations are a fkn nightmare

B

Brendan

When I had my transit it was always overweight. The jump to 7.5t is just too much cost and regs

JD450A

JD450A

Feral as Fk 🐾
When I had my transit it was always overweight. The jump to 7.5t is just too much cost and regs

Better off jumping to 15t, same tax class but double the payload and not much wider.

S

Smiffy

Better off jumping to 15t, same tax class but double the payload and not much wider.

The other option could be down to the new 7.2 iveco daily size of a van but staggering carrying capacity
I believe they
Will hold near 4 tonne while a proper 7.5 tonner barely holds 2.5 tonne
Clancy have them and they make a mockery or the firm's with proper wagons offloading all there gear outside the tarmac plant to get a bit more in and the ivecos are going in loaded and still have a bigger pile on

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
The other option could be down to the new 7.2 iveco daily size of a van but staggering carrying capacity
I believe they
Will hold near 4 tonne while a proper 7.5 tonner barely holds 2.5 tonne
Clancy have them and they make a mockery or the firm's with proper wagons offloading all there gear outside the tarmac plant to get a bit more in and the ivecos are going in loaded and still have a bigger pile on
my old Iveco would carry 3.45t .... (but was a 21 ft drop side flatty) ...... more with the sides off in the yard :giggle:

JD450A

JD450A

Feral as Fk 🐾
Iveco make fantastic heavy weight vans. The Dailys in my opinion are fairly flawless (bar the 07 age ones and electrics) It's just a pity that when the Italians got hold of ford they didn't kill the cargo and create something better than the s**t heap, air over fluid breaking eurocargo :sick: others will disagree but I passionately hate the rotboxes.

Trouble is anything over 3.5t needs a O license :cry::cry: