I hadn't thought of looking for a second hand domestic panel. I've had a quick look and it looked like a dc-dc charger with dual inputs ,PV and alternator, was £200.
The common reg for doing that is the
Ctek, but it's pricey and not suitable for domestic panel.
Keeping to explanation brief:
A 12V nominal panel puts out ~21V no load (the Ctek can cope with that).
Domestic PV's range from 35V to 50V (that's why they are cheap 2nd hand).
The cheap ebay regulators also won't cope with the higher voltage, so you need to use a 'better' reg (which has other advantages).
You definitely want an MPPT reg, but there are more fakes on offer than real, so you need to select carefully.
An alternative source for panels is your local installer. Just about every shipment is a slightly different shape/spec to the last, so if they've got a couple left over, the 'end of batch' price can be very attractive.
Mine has been a "Work in Progress".
One problem I found as a fixed install is that the regs don't like having full sun and then the battery gets disconnected. Since the last pic, I've added a capacitor to each that acts as a "fake battery" and suppresses any transients when a battery is disconnected.