So what is it the Santa bringing that you have bought and paid for/to yourself ? 🤪

Giles

Giles

Think the dewalt 40cm 54v cordless one was £170+vat in the sale . Been watching for ages . The 18v has poor reviews and no chain oil IIRC. Bet it won’t last as well as my 1999 Husky 254xp though.
I’ve the 18v it does have oil but slow chain speed and vibration if not super sharp chain handy for pruning etc but run it along side ms150 top control which is awesome 1 hand pruner

Storrsy

Storrsy

I've got the Stihl top handle...but if I was getting another I'd seriously look at the Milwaukee ones..getting some great reviews over the pond and they dont take kindly to crap.
The Stihl has much better ergonomics/anti vibe and their battery life is incredible but just daft money now .
I
Yes has to be some consideration in that- means I'll have to turn red though😬😁 I take it the Milwaukee saw is considerably better than the Mak.
One thing that puts me off the Stihl MSA300 is the weight of it. With the battery its another kg heavier than my old smokey 357xp- and that's a boat anchor in itself. Suppose can't have the battery longevity and power without the weight, the MSA220 is quite a bit lighter so perhaps that's the best option

Storrsy

Storrsy

Hadnt realised Makita brought out a new XGT saw. Supposedly 45% more output than the old 36v one

Gunners

Gunners

This 😁

Attachments

• 2023-12-11 15.26.12.jpg
    2023-12-11 15.26.12.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 58
William127

William127

Yes has to be some consideration in that- means I'll have to turn red though😬😁 I take it the Milwaukee saw is considerably better than the Mak.
One thing that puts me off the Stihl MSA300 is the weight of it. With the battery its another kg heavier than my old smokey 357xp- and that's a boat anchor in itself. Suppose can't have the battery longevity and power without the weight, the MSA220 is quite a bit lighter so perhaps that's the best option
Blimey that's a tank if it's heavier than a 357! I've never really liked my 357, unfairly, as it's a good saw but my (long ago stolen 😠 😡) Spud ported 350 cut just as well while being a good but lighter and nicer handling

6feetdown

I've got the Stihl top handle...but if I was getting another I'd seriously look at the Milwaukee ones..getting some great reviews over the pond and they dont take kindly to crap.
The Stihl has much better ergonomics/anti vibe and their battery life is incredible but just daft money now .
I
I've the little pruning saw superb bit of kit

6feetdown

A fortnightly subscription to fresh coffee beans, which have already started arriving and are very nice. Certainly an upgrade on supermarket beans, but an upgrade in price as well.
Also considering a sailing dinghy. I've spent too many years doing nothing apart from work.
You could make good money with the right dinghy down south

M

Monkeybusiness

I wouldn’t suggest investing in the big Stihl battery saw if you are hoping it will replace bigger petrol models - you will be both disappointed and significantly poorer. They are a white elephant imo - you need to spend on several batteries and then lug them around the workplace if you have anything significant to fell/crosscut.
The Makita 36v saws are great for little odds and sods. We’ve got husky top handles and they kick the arse of the Makita stuff but aren’t anywhere close to petrol saws.

Storrsy

Storrsy

I wouldn’t suggest investing in the big Stihl battery saw if you are hoping it will replace bigger petrol models - you will be both disappointed and significantly poorer. They are a white elephant imo - you need to spend on several batteries and then lug them around the workplace if you have anything significant to fell/crosscut.
The Makita 36v saws are great for little odds and sods. We’ve got husky top handles and they kick the arse of the Makita stuff but aren’t anywhere close to petrol saws.
You could be right tbh. They're certainly pretty dear once you factor in a few batteries. I can get the msa 220 with 2 ap300 batteries for around a grand. Trouble is the mak as handy as it is just isn't quite powerful enough for me not to bring a petrol when doing fencing work and the like, knocking back overhanging branches for access etc. Id hope the more powerful Stihl/husky would fill that void quite nicely. The biggest convenience for me is not having to deal with petrol, it stinks the truck out, a pain to have to go to the garage to get and mix up etc and really I just want the saw behind the seat ready for all eventualities.

M

Monkeybusiness

You could be right tbh. They're certainly pretty dear once you factor in a few batteries. I can get the msa 220 with 2 ap300 batteries for around a grand. Trouble is the mak as handy as it is just isn't quite powerful enough for me not to bring a petrol when doing fencing work and the like, knocking back overhanging branches for access etc. Id hope the more powerful Stihl/husky would fill that void quite nicely. The biggest convenience for me is not having to deal with petrol, it stinks the truck out, a pain to have to go to the garage to get and mix up etc and really I just want the saw behind the seat ready for all eventualities.
It might work for you then tbh. Bloody expensive gamble though!