Small tracked dumpers?

Gunners

Gunners

Don’t the jcbs eat through drive motors?

Gunners had one

I had a look at a jcb today and they actually look ok in real life. Im going to book one in to hire for the next job and see what there like.

I wouldn't dismiss the JCB. They have now changed the drive motors for proper planetary setup like diggers have so that should solve the tracking/ turning issue. You will regret getting a petrol one - they drink fuel and are as noisy as the diesel. The diesels will earn you their extra cost back in fuel! Nice and narrow - will fit in all the gates and has the biggest capacity for its width of any track barrow. I think they may be the best bang for your buck - just make sure its the updated one you buy. My old one went to the English Riviera so you might see it around Russell.

Cormidi's are decent, track frames have adaptable rollers like an army tank so they travel rough ground well but the narrow one doesn't hold as much as a JCB and the wider one that does is too wide! Cover the ground quick though and well made little things.

Slanetrack is mega money and a bit agriculturally made - but boy to they have some power. I've actually pulled a full bulk bag of sand off the trailer with one (saved shovelling!) and it did it on tick over! Problem is the hydraulics are either on and off and if you come out of tick over - you will put it through the wall of the house you are working on with one small flick of the leaver! Also doesn't have twin speed tracking so is a bit slow when you can open it up. They also love doing tracks (within 300hrs of use) so much so that the hire company I use keep plenty in stock - and yes I have had one fail on me!

Hinowa used to be the one to beat but they started putting the high lift on a telescopic mast which makes them too tall to fit in vans or see over when driving it. Shame as they dominated in the 2000's as Rory can testify still.

Kubota do a range too but they also have the horrible mast. Never seen one outside of a plant show so are either fierce money and or not very good. Shame as you would think they could wipe the floor at this with their engineering.

So that kinda brings us back to the JCB.... Not perfect by any means but really not bad and I think I paid around £6k for mine new with 2 years warranty? Cant really complain at that kinda price especially now they have supposedly sorted the issues I had with mine.

Regy53

Regy53

I like cake
that VH500A you put up back mid May certainly looks to be a decent weapon Ross (y) :cool:

The vh range is more aimed for the professionals although the other range will do it not every groundwork's wants levers and brake handles to drive . That said we don’t really offer a competitor high tip vh range so your limited for choice.

B

Brendan

I wouldn't dismiss the JCB. They have now changed the drive motors for proper planetary setup like diggers have so that should solve the tracking/ turning issue. You will regret getting a petrol one - they drink fuel and are as noisy as the diesel. The diesels will earn you their extra cost back in fuel! Nice and narrow - will fit in all the gates and has the biggest capacity for its width of any track barrow. I think they may be the best bang for your buck - just make sure its the updated one you buy. My old one went to the English Riviera so you might see it around Russell.

Cormidi's are decent, track frames have adaptable rollers like an army tank so they travel rough ground well but the narrow one doesn't hold as much as a JCB and the wider one that does is too wide! Cover the ground quick though and well made little things.

Slanetrack is mega money and a bit agriculturally made - but boy to they have some power. I've actually pulled a full bulk bag of sand off the trailer with one (saved shovelling!) and it did it on tick over! Problem is the hydraulics are either on and off and if you come out of tick over - you will put it through the wall of the house you are working on with one small flick of the leaver! Also doesn't have twin speed tracking so is a bit slow when you can open it up. They also love doing tracks (within 300hrs of use) so much so that the hire company I use keep plenty in stock - and yes I have had one fail on me!

Hinowa used to be the one to beat but they started putting the high lift on a telescopic mast which makes them too tall to fit in vans or see over when driving it. Shame as they dominated in the 2000's as Rory can testify still.

Kubota do a range too but they also have the horrible mast. Never seen one outside of a plant show so are either fierce money and or not very good. Shame as you would think they could wipe the floor at this with their engineering.

So that kinda brings us back to the JCB.... Not perfect by any means but really not bad and I think I paid around £6k for mine new with 2 years warranty? Cant really complain at that kinda price especially now they have supposedly sorted the issues I had with mine.
Surprised that the slanetrac is so bad on tracks, I don't know what new ones on the htd5 are like but mine have loads of life left in them, I'll get a pic tomorrow.
If they have sorted the tracking then the htd5 would be bang on.

Kubota is around 10k but has expanding tracks and I think is 750mm wide.

I'm sure the jcb is around 680mm wide and the cormidi 50 is 700mm but the jcb holds a fair bit more in the skip, it's probably a good micro 600mm buckets worth. It's not a huge amount but every 5-6 trips is a "free" load with the jcb.

Been debating changing the cormidi for a slanetrac but unsure. Not sure if they do the the cormidi 50 in a diesel so would be the 60 which I think has a 600kg.

No idea on recent prices but when I bought my htd5 the cormidi 50 petrol version was near enough the same price

R

Russell

I don't know how old the jcb at the local hire place is but apparently it chews up sprocket bearings? It does look the perfect size machine for me.
Slanetrack is happy for me to weld a towbar on the front for moving the trailer.
With regards to petrol Vs diesel, my TCP with a diesel engine used up to 5 litre a day. With the petrol gx630 it uses up to 10l. There is not much difference in the noise when tracking but the petrol is a fair bit quieter on tickover.
There is also a lot less vibration on the levers but that could be the rubber engine mounts I put on the petrol.
Slanetrack 700mm petrol is £9000+
Jcb is £6800+
Cormidi c6 £8771+
Cormidi c55 £7150+ but I think is pull start only.
I know the lumag is around £5000 but I'm not buying any more Chinese stuff if I can help it.

Last edited:
B

Brendan

I don't know how old the jcb at the local hire place is but apparently it chews up sprocket bearings? It does look the perfect size machine for me.
Slanetrack is happy for me to weld a towbar on the front for moving the trailer.
With regards to petrol Vs diesel, my TCP with a diesel engine used up to 5 litre a day. With the petrol gx630 it uses up to 10l. There is not much difference in the noise when tracking but the petrol is a fair bit quieter on tickover.
There is also a lot less vibration on the levers but that could be the rubber engine mounts I put on the petrol.
Slanetrack 700mm petrol is £9000+
Jcb is £6800+
Cormidi c6 £8771+
Cormidi c55 £7150+ but I think is pull start only
Is the c55 petrol at that price?

R

Russell

I think there is only a petrol c55 and only a diesel c6 or so I was told the other day.

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
The cormidi look cool but petrol cost will probably be double the diesel on the jcb
everyone needs to bear in mind that cherry'll soon be a thing of the past unless one has a 'source' and prepared to risk losing their kit for running it

hiluxman

hiluxman

Yeh I have Thomas ..... there're a few makes floating about .. and the ubiquitous Mucktrucks too
I've a muck truck and we have moved some sh1t with it. Has its jobs but when it's needed it preforms superbly.

R

Russell

The cormidi look cool but petrol cost will probably be double the diesel on the jcb
The pull start on a £8000 machine is what would put me off. It's like £100-150 extra to buy a Honda engine with electric start.

Giles

Giles

seem to recall this was

discussed a while ago ... can't recall the make though :unsure: fleabay specials .. looked OK too. .... not a great lover of battery stuff .... have you by the balls for new batteries when the old ones die :(
Can’t be hard to make one from an old motor out a mobility scooter etc and a motorbike battery etc

B

Brendan

The pull start on a £8000 machine is what would put me off. It's like £100-150 extra to buy a Honda engine with electric start.
If the jcb is still the same it doesn't have a stop solenoid, so you have to pull a lever to turn it off

@V8Druid My htd 5 has filled four 8yrd skips for not much more than a tank of diesel. Fair enough it's not tracked far doing it but I don't run any red and a tank is just over 4l of diesel

GazCro

GazCro

I've a muck truck and we have moved some sh1t with it. Has its jobs but when it's needed it preforms superbly.
The beauty of a muck truck is in the simplicity. Bang for buck they are bad to beat if they'll travel. A good man on a much truck puts some kin hard days in mind to get the most out of one.

Gunners

Gunners

everyone needs to bear in mind that cherry'll soon be a thing of the past unless one has a 'source' and prepared to risk losing their kit for running it
He’s doing “horticulture” Druid so is exempt 😆
As will everyone be in some form of another I’m sure. I’m sure someone will claim they are farming concrete somewhere 😜
Going to be a proper mess that. Anyway, plenty of white on sites will be sold at weekends to offset the hassle, I’m not too worried 🤦‍♂️

B

Brendan

4 years worth and thousands of tonnes shifted, no idea on what the depth of the tracks is new. To be fair alot of the time there is a board down to turn on which helps massively with the turning plus saves itself digging into the ground.
Olny niggle in mine is no brake, so on a slope it can roll off unless chocked or lock in place

Attachments

• IMG_20210512_085624.jpg
    IMG_20210512_085624.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 193
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
4 years worth and thousands of tonnes shifted, no idea on what the depth of the tracks is new. To be fair alot of the time there is a board down to turn on which helps massively with the turning plus saves itself digging into the ground.
Olny niggle in mine is no brake, so on a slope it can roll off unless chocked or lock in place
is that the parking brake :oops::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

B

Brendan

is that the parking brake :oops::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Yeah 🤣 it's a faff as generally anytime I've ever tried to use it, it's I line with part of the sprocket 🤣
Easier to just put a timber/brick in front of track and turn the engine off.
The cormidi I'm sure doesn't move as easily

R

Russell

Do they not have proper brakes like a digger? My TCP is locked solid when it's turned off.
I wouldn't want anything that doesn't have automatic brakes.

B

Brendan

Do they not have proper brakes like a digger? My TCP is locked solid when it's turned off.
I wouldn't want anything that doesn't have automatic brakes.
🤣🤣🤣 No, unless the new ones with different track motors are different.
If it's on a hill you need to knock the engine off as the tick over vibration will move it along.

It's not a huge amount and won't run away (Not that I've found so far) but it just creeps very slowly, but you do need a decent slope for this to be an issue.

It's not very often that it's a problem