Skid Steers

F

fred

Well-known member
Watching some of the yankee earth movers vids they seem to almost exclusively use a skid steer instead of a mini in most cases. They dont look like they have the reach to load an 8 wheeler unless its a really big one.

Problem with zero visibility sides and back could be a big issue.

Wonder why they not caught on here ?
 
Gunners

Gunners

Well-known member
I've worked with a skid steer with him hauling and me just excavating. I was genuinely surprised how much we moved in a day between us. Took about 45 mins to make a 16t load up with a 100m each way haul. It makes the excavating more efficient as you can just dig and sling your pile behind you, and not waiting for a dumper was quite nice.
It worked well the other way round too, when levelling topsoil, he was bringing it to me and placing piles exactly where I needed it, I could then concentrate on getting the levels right. If we'd of had a dumper instead, I would have been out front loading and the piles would be much larger and usually end up with too much in one place, increasing double handling.
Using a skid steer in place of dumpers is obviously not as efficient at hauling dirt BUT, have the added bonus of being more useful than a dumper when it comes to other aspects of a job. Forks, rotovators etc mean you get much more use out of a skid steer over the whole job vs a dumper.

It comes down to what you intend to do with the muck you are shifting. If its getting grabbed away, then a dumper is perfect to make a pile and much more efficient at carrying dirt. But that's all it can do. Once you get into having to carry out work with what you are shifting in front of you - be that building up levels, spreading topsoil, loading it into a wagon etc, the loader comes into its own and the advantage of not having to run two machines (digger and dumper) starts to offset the loss of capacity of each bucket cycle.
With dumpers becoming more and more expensive as Euro 5 emissions systems are fitted and now cabs, plus the endless amount of beacons required on top, I can see the loader making a comeback. Rory might just be onto something with his Drott. Having said that, he does have a serious old dumper fetish too 😆
 
J

Jimoz

Well-known member
Popular in oz too. Funnily enough can't remember seeing many grabs out there or dumpers. I think they can run their lorrys over the ground out there as it's so hard hence not seeing as many dumpers
 
GazCro

GazCro

Well-known member
It's always bone dry and dusty when you see them working though. Can you imagine the state of a site when its pi**ing it down every day and a skid steer going round and round non stop.
 
Quattromike

Quattromike

Well member-known
A local guy to us uses a skid steer as. As forklift and I can kinda see some of the pro's like spinning on the spot but for me thee con's outway them like visibility, stability, not overly smooth operation when manoeuvring with something on the forks. I was delivering some stuff to them and it could just lift from the back of the truck but when they reversed and started lowering it over balanced with little warning and the whole lot landed on its face. I would leave them in for the farmers.
The little tracked versions I like, I would have one of them but still s bit of visibility issue.
 
JD450A

JD450A

Moderattor🐾
I ought to fix mine really.
 

Attachments

  • 15800380854601485038252.jpg
    15800380854601485038252.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 300
Bri963

Bri963

Well-known member
I’ve had a bit to do with the Cat tracked CTL’s, and even the smallest 239 will reach over an 8 legger with muck body. the smallest ones are radial lift and lose a bit of forward reach at height, but the 259’s up are vertical lift and will reach the middle. The killer with the tracked machines is purchase price And fuel burn. if you think they’re an updated drott, forget it. Okay for light work, but if you put them to the same work as an old B100 or 125 you’d kill them in weeks. For moving loose material, backfilling or spreading, they’re pretty good, and easy to grade with.

Got to say I would like to try the biggest Bobcat models, they look a bit stronger in the arms and hitch.
 
Last edited:
B

Brendan

Well-known member
Had one on site a few years back although it only had a set of forks on and for a day a planner, packs of block paving was over its limit slightest bump or slow down too fast and it's rear wheels are in the air.
There's loads of videos of them with a dozer style laser setup grading out and as said the advantage to load it's self and go is a plus. Personally find them to be that bit of kit that flash twats want to show off in, none of them have had an easy life but surprised there isn't more injuries with them
 
Grahams

Grahams

Don't complain - suggest what's better
I think the weight kills it for a lot of people. To get one with decent reach and ability to comfortably carry a tonne on the forks it is too heavy to put on a trailer behind a pickup. Combined with the mess they make turning puts a lot of people off. I hired one quite a bit before a came across mini loaders and have never hired one since. A mini loader does everything I want better than a skid steer.
 
doobin

doobin

Well-known member
Yup, lack of traction is a killer as are weight and running costs for tracked variants.
 
B

Brendan

Well-known member
I think the weight kills it for a lot of people. To get one with decent reach and ability to comfortably carry a tonne on the forks it is too heavy to put on a trailer behind a pickup. Combined with the mess they make turning puts a lot of people off. I hired one quite a bit before a came across mini loaders and have never hired one since. A mini loader does everything I want better than a skid steer.
By mini loader do you mean the truxta or what ever it's called version? Are they any good as would have thought payload would only be a couple of hundred kg or s
 
Grahams

Grahams

Don't complain - suggest what's better
By mini loader do you mean the truxta or what ever it's called version? Are they any good as would have thought payload would only be a couple of hundred kg or s
I meant Norcar or Avant style mini loaders.
 
doobin

doobin

Well-known member
Micro and high tip would have done it quicker and more efficiently without knackering your back. Thing with the micro is you can peel off just the rubbish- they had to stove into it and throw it all in the (specially ordered) low sided skip. breaking out the kerbs was hit and miss, and if there were any services they’d have been sure to hit them. The video was heavily edited and sped up too- never a good sign.
I’ve looked at those Sherpas before. That model is around 16k if memory serves. It’s a lot of money for what it is.

They’re great for levelling and moving materials. But they lack fine control- it’s simply not possible with such a short bouncy wheelbase and lack of overall weight.
 
GazCro

GazCro

Well-known member
Micro and high tip would have done it quicker and more efficiently without knackering your back. Thing with the micro is you can peel off just the rubbish- they had to stove into it and throw it all in the (specially ordered) low sided skip. breaking out the kerbs was hit and miss, and if there were any services they’d have been sure to hit them. The video was heavily edited and sped up too- never a good sign.
I’ve looked at those Sherpas before. That model is around 16k if memory serves. It’s a lot of money for what it is.

They’re great for levelling and moving materials. But they lack fine control- it’s simply not possible with such a short bouncy wheelbase and lack of overall weight.
And on a wet day what a mess it would be
 
J

Jimoz

Well-known member
All these skid steers are popular in dry countries like usa and oz. Think they have one called the kanga over there
 
hiluxman

hiluxman

Well-known member
All these skid steers are popular in dry countries like usa and oz. Think they have one called the kanga over there
Boxer is ment to be a good one here....but as with them all its expensive
 
R

Russell

Well-known member
Cormidi, Vermeer and ditch witch make the tracked version. I priced up a bobcat mt50 or 55 and it was around £20,000. The kanga looks really basic and the price I got was £20,000, that's mental for what it is. I think Kubota have just brought one out in America. They do look good for a bit of lifting and shifting but are mega money for some reason.
I don't know if it was a scam but I saw a JCB robot go for £4500 a week or two back. It was a auction on eBay so who knows.
 
Last edited:
R

Rob65

Well-known member
I have a Bobcat 463 which is a 1.2te wheeled machine. Safe lift capacity is stated as being 300kg but the tipping load is twice that.

Running on hard surfaces I would not want to be without it but on soft or wet ground, my god what a mess it makes.

Rob
 
Top