Selling Topsoil

hiluxman

hiluxman

When have you ever seen a a grab lorry sheet a load??
If the load is well below the sides of the body (as it would have to be for legal payload on a 3.5t tipper), then how the hell can it be an insecure load?
Every grab round here uses the easy sheet. My grab doesn't have an easy sheet but I'll weigh up the situation and chuck the sheet on.

On the 3.5t tipper the sheet is £26 quid to buy so why have the agro. Lads are used to it so nothing to worry about

JD450A

JD450A

Feral as Fk
I know 2 locally who have tried that stance. Awaiting to here the outcome.

They will be done..... Dust is the reason.

You will successfully argue it with clean stone over 40mm. Sand they will clobber you for and soils is a grey area.

If it's sat 6" under the sides you might win the argument in court.

doobin

doobin

They will be done..... Dust is the reason.

You will successfully argue it with clean stone over 40mm. Sand they will clobber you for and soils is a grey area.

If it's sat 6" under the sides you might win the argument in court.
And if it’s raining?

Left hooker

Left hooker

Makes me laugh one of our lorrys get fast enough the wind lifts the easy sheet and blows the quarry dust out bad enough people behind slow down 🤣
Had police turn up at our yard once due to a complaint from member of the public of dust from lorry body due to not sheeting
Given time and direction turned out lorry was empty and returning to quarry after carrying block mix what residue was left was drying out then blowing out hard to sheet thin air 🤣😂

craig

craig

By their own guidance, https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...dance/load-securing-vehicle-operator-guidance
a unsheeted load should result in an advise.
But doing so could draw unwanted attention to yourself, and invite a pull 😲

5.2 Load security matrix​

The load security matrix has 3 tables showing:

• the risk represented by the type of load
  • the type of load securing used
  • what action to take based on where a load and its security fit within the previous tables

Risk represented by the type of load​

This table shows examples of the different load types, but there are other kinds.

Load type ALoad type BLoad type C
Metal pipes, sheet or barTimberClothing
Reinforced concreteFIBCs/bulk powderWood chip
Bricks, stone or concreteRoll cagesWaste paper
Vehicles including scrapBagged aggregateCoal bags
Plant machineryEmpty skips stacked 3 highBulk material (in tipper)
Reels including steel, wire or paperHeavy palletised goods (pallet weight of 400kg or above)Packaging material
Kegs and barrels Single loaded skips
Stacked loaded skips Empty skips less than 3 high
Empty skips stacked more than 3 high Light palletised goods (pallet weight up to 400kg)
Metal casings
Glass
Containers or work cabins

Type of load security used​

Defect category 1Defect category 2Defect category 3
No load securingUp to 30cm gap between load and vehicle headboard, unless other means of preventing forward movement have been usedLashings on ropehooks (this is always poor practice, but there may be no other suitable attachment points)
More than 30cm gap between the front of load and vehicle headboard, unless other means of preventing forward movement have been usedUnsheeted load in bulk tipper or skipMinor damage to headboard not affecting structural integrity
Unstable load affecting vehicle stability or likely to topple from the vehicleInadequate load securing leading to likely risk of harmUnstuiable load securing
Severe structural damage to the headboard, or gaps in the headboard that would allow load penetrationUnsuitable stacking of load items likely to lead to risk of harmPoor condition of securing equipment
Items loaded over the height of the headboard (unless it’s a single indivisible item, in which case the headboard must support the item to the height of its centre of gravity)Height of load likely to affect vehicle stabilityUnsuitable vehicle for the load

Appropriate action​

Load typeDefect category 1Defect category 2Defect category 3
Load type AProhibitProhibitAdvise
Load type BProhibitProhibit/AdviseAdvise
Load type CProhibitAdviseAdvise

Nick...

Nick...

The grab lorry boys around here won’t take topsoil loads to farms due to paper trails for envoirement agency.i often tell them to take top soil to my farm for a free tip but they won’t do it.
nick...

Left hooker

Left hooker

The grab lorry boys around here won’t take topsoil loads to farms due to paper trails for envoirement agency.i often tell them to take top soil to my farm for a free tip but they won’t do it.
nick...
You screening it for resell or to fill an area in if so get your self a u1 to cover it being tipped at yours for land fill

Nick...

Nick...

You screening it for resell or to fill an area in if so get your self a u1 to cover it being tipped at yours for land fill
I tick just about every box on the EA paperwork to cover my arse the the grab lorry boys won’t bring it to me
nick…

Left hooker

Left hooker

I tick just about every box on the EA paperwork to cover my arse the the grab lorry boys won’t bring it to me
nick…
Guess they charge to take away and sell it to someone else after a bit of screening then and don't want to lose out on double pay for a load

JD450A

JD450A

Feral as Fk
U1 no longer covers filling hollows. Hasn't for about 10 years but they have only recently started enforcement.

Got to be a construction use.... E.g landscaping a garden, engineered fill for a shed etc.

C

Chase Building

£5 a tonne loose locally, and £10 a tonne to drop trailer loads of unscreened/spoil.
Not worth the hassle of screening for us.
Closest builders merchant wanted £80 for a bulk bag of screened topsoil a few months ago, haven’t used them since.

S

Smiffy

£5 a tonne loose locally, and £10 a tonne to drop trailer loads of unscreened/spoil.
Not worth the hassle of screening for us.
Closest builders merchant wanted £80 for a bulk bag of screened topsoil a few months ago, haven’t used them since.

I'm presuming at £5 a tonne it's pretty rough stuff ??