Sell by dates

J

Jimoz

Well-known member
I once seen an old dear go to make a sandwich with mouldy bread when I was working round her house. Unfortunately seemed to be loosing it. I talked her out of using it then phoned the daughter bet she didn't live independently for long
 
Furniss

Furniss

Well-known member
seem to recall hearing they're going to do away with the sell by dates BECAUSE of all the supermarket waste .... same as Dylan smell it, taste it, if ok it gets scoffed .... a lot of us grew up long before they were invented to fleece us ... and survived .... a packing date would be far more useful.
Seems a decent idea - no doubt got its problems and critics but its been here since 2016
Screenshot_20221211-135011_Chrome.jpg
 
Bucket on wheels

Bucket on wheels

Well-known member
On a cabin trip this summer we found this at the back of the cupboard tasted exactly as I remember it from the military service in 1991 where we were served RSP from 1952

If you don't know what RSP is, then Wikipedia says this: Reserve combat provisions, usually abbreviated RSP, is a type of canned food made for the Norwegian Armed Forces. The main ingredients are beef, pork and peas. The armed forces stopped buying RSP in 1995, and switched to using more modern freeze-dried field rations from Drytech (NB: we also have them in stock). Over the years, RSP has been given a number of humorous nicknames: Dead man in a box (most common), German in a box, Remains of Exploded Personnel, Remains of Combat Personnel and Recycled Personnel.

48488742027_3e1fa0a546_c.jpg
post-172506-0-25381100-1386656559.jpg
 
A

AHPP

Well-known member
I think frozen and tinned last just about for ever. I'm sure I remember tests being done on food stashes that were left for arctic expeditions that had been left decades before.
Just googled it and the first answer was eating stuff from the 60's https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/arctic-explorers-uncover-60-year-old-food-stash-180956936/
Yep. The obvious danger is stuff thawing out, going bad and then refreezing. Not a problem in the Arctic but quite possible if there’s a power cut where your fridge-freezer is. I’d still sooner roll the dice with my herring than the sugar laden toss you see in the shops.
 
Top