Sealey tools

doobin

doobin

Well-known member
Are utter s**t. Don't buy them. I've just had a motor stop working on a steel cutting chopsaw after six months and one blade, they don't wanna know. Meanwhile I have a Sealey bandsaw here, had to do a motor swap last week cause it's packed up after a very easy life, maybe three bands.

They sell Chinese crap and trade upon the name.
 
Powerfab

Powerfab

Well-known member
Are utter s**t. Don't buy them. I've just had a motor stop working on a steel cutting chopsaw after six months and one blade, they don't wanna know. Meanwhile I have a Sealey bandsaw here, had to do a motor swap last week cause it's packed up after a very easy life, maybe three bands.

They sell Chinese crap and trade upon the name.
Totally agree. I have a Sealey 3 tonne Speedlift trolley jack, maybe 7-8yrs old but only been up / down no more than 50 times and never overloaded.
Now the speedlift works to bring the saddle into position, but won't lift s**t after that.
Feels like its low on oil. Oil level checked, stripped out the valve and "O" rings all in order. Youtube etc provides various "try this fixes" but nothing works.

It's about to be repurposed to the scrap bin, but I'm dammed if I'm going to be spending £150 on another chocolate fireguard.
Anyone have recommendation for a quality make that might reasonably last a lifetime?
 
B

Brendan

Well-known member
Are utter s**t. Don't buy them. I've just had a motor stop working on a steel cutting chopsaw after six months and one blade, they don't wanna know. Meanwhile I have a Sealey bandsaw here, had to do a motor swap last week cause it's packed up after a very easy life, maybe three bands.

They sell Chinese crap and trade upon the name.
My experience with them has been poor too, bought their trailing arm bush kit for Mondeo/smax/volvo at the time best part of £200 it barely managed to do the two bushes, the threads started stripping and one if the threaded bars snapped (had to get some threaded bar and nuts to do the job) sent it off and they just replaced the two bars, I sold it on it.
Sealey jack was ok but constantly dropping due to poor seals
 
B

Brendan

Well-known member
Totally agree. I have a Sealey 3 tonne Speedlift trolley jack, maybe 7-8yrs old but only been up / down no more than 50 times and never overloaded.
Now the speedlift works to bring the saddle into position, but won't lift s**t after that.
Feels like its low on oil. Oil level checked, stripped out the valve and "O" rings all in order. Youtube etc provides various "try this fixes" but nothing works.

It's about to be repurposed to the scrap bin, but I'm dammed if I'm going to be spending £150 on another chocolate fireguard.
Anyone have recommendation for a quality make that might reasonably last a lifetime?
I recently got the halfords advanced 3t low profile jack seems ok for the money, 3 year warranty and was around £120 with trade card
 
Powerfab

Powerfab

Well-known member
I recently got the halfords advanced 3t low profile jack seems ok for the money, 3 year warranty and was around £120 with trade card
Good to know Brendan, my Halfords wish list / basket grows by the day.
I'll have to look into trade card. Is it possible for a weekend bodger to get one?
 
Routy56

Routy56

Well-known member
Are utter s**t. Don't buy them. I've just had a motor stop working on a steel cutting chopsaw after six months and one blade, they don't wanna know. Meanwhile I have a Sealey bandsaw here, had to do a motor swap last week cause it's packed up after a very easy life, maybe three bands.

They sell Chinese crap and trade upon the name.
Don't their products have a I year Warranty? :oops:
If their customer service don't wanna know, then try to rubbish them on social media - it usually gets the attention of most companies :devilish:
 
B

Brendan

Well-known member
Good to know Brendan, my Halfords wish list / basket grows by the day.
I'll have to look into trade card. Is it possible for a weekend bodger to get one?
The checks aren't too involved either payslips, letterheads, city and guilds etc
It's not just mechanics, also chippies, sparks, window fitters and landscapers.
I suppose anyone could just knock up a letterhead
 
B

Brendan

Well-known member
Don't their products have a I year Warranty? :oops:
If their customer service don't wanna know, then try to rubbish them on social media - it usually gets the attention of most companies :devilish:
Unless the company don't give a crap like rolawn suppose you'd need a big social media following for them to sort anything 🤔
 
Routy56

Routy56

Well-known member
Unless the company don't give a crap like rolawn suppose you'd need a big social media following for them to sort anything 🤔
Know what you are saying. Now you're getting me worried 'cos I have a few Sealey products.:eek:
Last week I took delivery of a nice looking drill sharpener
Hope it lasts more than a year :LOL:
 
Stubota86

Stubota86

Well-known member
Are utter s**t. Don't buy them. I've just had a motor stop working on a steel cutting chopsaw after six months and one blade, they don't wanna know. Meanwhile I have a Sealey bandsaw here, had to do a motor swap last week cause it's packed up after a very easy life, maybe three bands.

They sell Chinese crap and trade upon the name.

try an evolution one, great value for the money and had good experiences with them myself
 
doobin

doobin

Well-known member
Know what you are saying. Now you're getting me worried 'cos I have a few Sealey products.:eek:
Last week I took delivery of a nice looking drill sharpener
Hope it lasts more than a year :LOL:
I'm sorry to break it to you, but regardless of brand, you cannot hope to achieve a decent result with any drill sharpener that uses a plastic collet, let alone thin the web or split the point. I've tried that kind and the more expensive Drill Doctor 750x. Both were hopeless. Abrasive is also important. Normal stones are useless, diamond is the wrong materiall and will gall. CBN is what you want.

If you really want to do a decent job, you need one that uses end mill collets to hold it. Around £300, but money well spend and pretty good Chinese engineering. Well made, precise and with a CBN wheel as standard.

 
doobin

doobin

Well-known member
try an evolution one, great value for the money and had good experiences with them myself
I had the Evo one and liked it, but the base was a little flimsy. It did last five years of hard graft however. The base for the Sealey one is cast, so a bit more rigid, and it seemed to be a good bit of kit until this.
 
M

Monkeybusiness

Well-known member
Totally agree. I have a Sealey 3 tonne Speedlift trolley jack, maybe 7-8yrs old but only been up / down no more than 50 times and never overloaded.
Now the speedlift works to bring the saddle into position, but won't lift s**t after that.
Feels like its low on oil. Oil level checked, stripped out the valve and "O" rings all in order. Youtube etc provides various "try this fixes" but nothing works.

It's about to be repurposed to the scrap bin, but I'm dammed if I'm going to be spending £150 on another chocolate fireguard.
Anyone have recommendation for a quality make that might reasonably last a lifetime?
I bought a trolley jack from Costco many moons ago and it is great - they never question warranty either, just give you your money back seemingly forever!
 
pettsy

pettsy

Well-known member
I’ve got a low entry snap on/blue point jack that’s about 10yrs old, can’t fault it. Have seen the SGS engineering kit recommended, I’ve got one of their compressors but not tried the trolley jacks. Managed to get a Halfords trade card years ago pretty easily by just showing some trade cash tickets from local motor factor!
 
Lancs Lad

Lancs Lad

Well-known member
Completely understand your frustration. I currently own a Sealey 3-tonne Speedlift trolley jack, which is approximately 7-8 years old. Despite having been used sparingly—lifting no more than 50 times and never exceeding its load capacity—the Speedlift now exhibits an issue. While it efficiently positions the saddle using the speedlift feature, it fails to lift anything beyond that point. The problem appears akin to a potential shortage of oil. I've already checked the oil level, disassembled the valve, and inspected the "O" rings, all of which seem to be in good condition. Despite exploring various fixes from sources like YouTube, none have proven effective.

Considering its impending fate in the scrap bin, I'm reluctant to invest £150 in what feels like another unreliable tool. I'm seeking recommendations for a reliable and durable alternative, ideally from a reputable brand that can withstand the test of time.
Interesting username?🤔
My tyre guy uses SGS stuff and gives it a right battering ...
 
M

Monkeybusiness

Well-known member
I bought a Jack from Costco years ago and it has been (and still is) brilliant!
 
Top