Schaeff HR16 Leak, bushes & quick hitch

J

Justme

Got a few issues I am trying to sort.

1999 HR16 3500kg

1, Loosing hydraulic oil. It is dropping out of the main body via the drain holes.

If you tip the body you can get it to come out either side & also forwards under the flaps.
Mostly battery side but some on the other side too.
There are pipes running both sides engine to under floor area. None are damp at either end.
Tried pressuring each service one at a time to see if it ups the leak but cant see any change.
Some days no leak others more. Could be temp related but pipes to cooler are dry.

Is there any where basically under the seat area (or any where else) that the oil could be coming from?

2, The quick hitch keeps dropping the bucket quite often & the grab less so.
I have seen that some gas axe the pins out & replace with long pin. Is that the only fix?
Any ideas on a clip to stop the activation pin rotating?

3, Just about to order some new pins & bushes.
Any tips of fitting bushes, Not just the fitting but in handling the dipper whilst doing so.
From the two main pivots to the bucket end.
I have a bearing screw thread tool.
Will that be enough to get old one out & new ones in?

Cheers & thanks for having me, this is my first post here.

doobin

doobin

Jesus mate, that leak could be anywhere! Best to steam clean it off and narrow it down somewhat.

That was the only fix when I had a Schaeff. s**t quick hitch, they wear like f**k too. You could indeed weld a tab or something on to it.

Bushes were tight on mine and needed a bit of heat to shift.

M

mart1602

if it drops bucket is it a hyd hitch that would be first place tolook

doobin

doobin

if it drops bucket is it a hyd hitch that would be first place tolook

No, the schaeff system was a manual type with a rack and pinion system to throw the locking pin. Utter s**t, it wore from day one and either seized solid or dropped the bucket at every opportunity.

J

Justme

Jesus mate, that leak could be anywhere! Best to steam clean it off and narrow it down somewhat.

That was the only fix when I had a Schaeff. s**t quick hitch, they wear like f**k too. You could indeed weld a tab or something on to it.

Bushes were tight on mine and needed a bit of heat to shift.

I have cleaned the crap out of it. Pulled a few pipes out that run fore / aft but still no clue.

I guess i need a workshop manual or someone that remembers working on them

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
Cheers & thanks for having me, this is my first post here.
welcome Boyo (y)... Doobins probably yer best bet on here for Schaef, having had experience of 'em ;)

J

Justme

welcome Boyo (y)... Doobins probably yer best bet on here for Schaef, having had experience of 'em ;)

I got left behind in the old place but luckily chanced on a post with a mention of here in it.

doobin

doobin

Said my piece earlier mate! That leak could be anywhere, no workshop manual will help, just time and perseverance spent trying to trace it unfortunately. If it’s not pissing out when you pressurise a service then it may be a servo or motor line pipe.

J

Justme

Said my piece earlier mate! That leak could be anywhere, no workshop manual will help, just time and perseverance spent trying to trace it unfortunately. If it’s not pissing out when you pressurise a service then it may be a servo or motor line pipe.

Sorry did not spot you had already replied.

J

Justme

I have fitted a few bushes, shims & new pins that have drastically improved how it handles.
All either came out with gentle taps or the bearing puller tool.

Still need to do two mains one (position 2 & 5 from parts suppliers).
I need to order some larger shims for those locations & possible pins too. Cant get them undone yet as the pin turns when you try to undo the nut. The square end is so chewed up I will weld a bar to it so I can undo them.
Its in used most days at the min so it can wait till it can sit there in bits while parts come.

Still no further with the leaking hydraulics.
Looked in every panel. hole etc, pulled a few hoses that run for & aft but they are dry.
I am starting to think the tank has a leak.
Looking like a cab off job to get access to any more parts.

Also now looking for an alternator.
find them but they seem costly for the size / output at over £100.
Our local recon place shut down & the next nearest is about 30 miles away & would need it leaving with them (if they are back open yet).
By the time I cost in two trips & the repair i might as well buy new.
Annoyingly I have a few spare alts but not one that will fit the space or mounts / have a simple V belt. They are all now multi V flat belts.

Not made any progress yet on the quick hitch.

doobin

doobin

Where are you getting prices for the alternator from?

Shovelhands

Shovelhands

The Starter Motor & Alternator Company are well worth a call 👍, I don’t have their number to hand, but a quick google and you should find them. Been very helpful to me in the past, good on advice, price and delivery in my experience.

J

Justme

I stripped the quick hitch today planning on replacing it with a longer pin system.

Once stripped it was quickly apparent that
a, my spare pins were too small for the buckets
b, the hitch has uneven holes so would need shimming, odly I had sleeves that would work but they would move & the bucket would still be held by pin that was too small.

So in the end I welded a large nut to the hitch so that when locked a clip & pin could be fitted to stop it rattling loose.

I will try that company cheers.