Routy56 - can you just....

Routy56

Routy56

Well-known member
Speak for yourself, Grandad.

seriously, seeing how Jack piles in and helps, he’s the sort of lad we can’t get enough of on our apprenticeship scheme. Mind you, the last three years we’ve had a few decent youngsters come through, lads, lasses and one transit van. Got an 18 year old girl with us at the moment, and she soaks it all up like a sponge.
Yeah - our Sophie, who is just turned 18, loves to have a go
IMG_2036.jpeg

She's the one with teh Citroen C1 and not afraid to get here hands dirty helping me service it :love:
 
Mick-the-fitter

Mick-the-fitter

It’s what I do!
Speak for yourself, Grandad.

seriously, seeing how Jack piles in and helps, he’s the sort of lad we can’t get enough of on our apprenticeship scheme. Mind you, the last three years we’ve had a few decent youngsters come through, lads, lasses and one transit van. Got an 18 year old girl with us at the moment, and she soaks it all up like a sponge.
Young lady! I went college many years ago with a girl, she later went into rebuilding diesel mechanical injection pumps, and she was very good at it
 
Routy56

Routy56

Well-known member
Returned my BOC Argon gas bottle after they kept putting up the annual rental :oops:
This year they wanted £198.12 for a years rental. So I politely enquired on their Customer Care line about a reduction.
They didn't answer the question but told me how to close my account as a low user :rolleyes:

IMG_1945.jpeg

Here's my simple set up, which works very well on the occasions that I actually use it.
Mind you BOC had previously sent a free refill voucher to me as a 'low user' ;)

IMG_1949.jpeg

So I simply took the half full bottle back to the local Ipswich depot. The nice young man said, "Oh that's an old one! And a credit note and revised invoice will be issued"

And now BOC have issued that credit note to the tune of £155.10 leaving only £43.02 to pay up on my account. Now, do I make them chase me for that or simply pay it off and be done with it :ROFLMAO:

IMG_2143.jpeg

So on Tuesday I popped just 6 miles down the road to our local Jayar Branch who are an authorised distributor for SGS Gases. The nice young lady took my money for a simple one off £120 rental and 5% CO2/Argon mis gas refill at £69.30. She was very fit and strong not that I noticed :love:
Jayar are a very busy local motor factors which I occasionally use for parts. So going forward it's a 'no brainer' for me as a 'low user' 🤗

IMG_2144.jpeg

So, one thing that I didn't expect, was that the outlet from the bottle comes out at 90 degrees and not out the top. This mans that the regulator is now sideways. Whilst I know that it won't effect it's use, I made sure that the gauges are facing the front :cool:
 
Routy56

Routy56

Well-known member
For a few months now I've been thinking about getting another 'classic' motorbike.
And on Monday evening, I was at a certain meeting for men, when my mate, Les, said to me, "I won't me using my Goldwing any more if you are interested in it. I just want it out of the garage"
Les has serious health issues and struggles with day to day living :oops:
So, yesterday, I popped over to look at it and determined that it hasn't been used for over 3 years...
IMG_2146.jpeg

It's a 1994 GL1500 Honda Goldwing with only 53k on the clock...

IMG_2150.jpeg

Actually, apart from need a really good clean it's in great condition. "I had it detailed when I last used it" made me realise that this is a great bike

Now, I realise that it will need complete commissioning and checking over. And as usual will start with cleaning out all the old petrol from the tank and carburettors. Then a really good service and inspection etc.
We shook hands on a really good deal. And agreed to collect it on my Ifor after our next holiday :cool:

New Haynes manual ordered - us old boys enjoy a project. Think that Jack will enjoy working on this project with his granddad :love:
 
M

Monkeybusiness

Well-known member
For a few months now I've been thinking about getting another 'classic' motorbike.
And on Monday evening, I was at a certain meeting for men, when my mate, Les, said to me, "I won't me using my Goldwing any more if you are interested in it. I just want it out of the garage"
Les has serious health issues and struggles with day to day living :oops:
So, yesterday, I popped over to look at it and determined that it hasn't been used for over 3 years...
View attachment 85354
It's a 1994 GL1500 Honda Goldwing with only 53k on the clock...

View attachment 85355
Actually, apart from need a really good clean it's in great condition. "I had it detailed when I last used it" made me realise that this is a great bike

Now, I realise that it will need complete commissioning and checking over. And as usual will start with cleaning out all the old petrol from the tank and carburettors. Then a really good service and inspection etc.
We shook hands on a really good deal. And agreed to collect it on my Ifor after our next holiday :cool:

New Haynes manual ordered - us old boys enjoy a project. Think that Jack will enjoy working on this project with his granddad :love:
I had a go on my brother-in-law’s Goldwing in Germany a few years ago. For an enormous machine they are amazingly easy to ride and manoeuvre - the centre of gravity is very low and the riding position gives you plenty of control.
I’ve seen video clips of an American fella giving one a good thrashing off-road (on some pretty challenging terrain!). Looks fun, but only if the bike is sacrificial and you have 20 mates with you to help get it upright when you drop it 🤣
 
Routy56

Routy56

Well-known member
I had a go on my brother-in-law’s Goldwing in Germany a few years ago. For an enormous machine they are amazingly easy to ride and manoeuvre - the centre of gravity is very low and the riding position gives you plenty of control.
I’ve seen video clips of an American fella giving one a good thrashing off-road (on some pretty challenging terrain!). Looks fun, but only if the bike is sacrificial and you have 20 mates with you to help get it upright when you drop it 🤣
Yep it weighs 360kg much more than my ZZR1200 😳
But really looking forward to fettling it, getting it running again and cruising in nice weather 😎
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
Returned my BOC Argon gas bottle after they kept putting up the annual rental :oops:
This year they wanted £198.12 for a years rental. So I politely enquired on their Customer Care line about a reduction.
They didn't answer the question but told me how to close my account as a low user :rolleyes:

View attachment 85350
Here's my simple set up, which works very well on the occasions that I actually use it.
Mind you BOC had previously sent a free refill voucher to me as a 'low user' ;)

View attachment 85351
So I simply took the half full bottle back to the local Ipswich depot. The nice young man said, "Oh that's an old one! And a credit note and revised invoice will be issued"

And now BOC have issued that credit note to the tune of £155.10 leaving only £43.02 to pay up on my account. Now, do I make them chase me for that or simply pay it off and be done with it :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 85352
So on Tuesday I popped just 6 miles down the road to our local Jayar Branch who are an authorised distributor for SGS Gases. The nice young lady took my money for a simple one off £120 rental and 5% CO2/Argon mis gas refill at £69.30. She was very fit and strong not that I noticed :love:
Jayar are a very busy local motor factors which I occasionally use for parts. So going forward it's a 'no brainer' for me as a 'low user' 🤗

View attachment 85353
So, one thing that I didn't expect, was that the outlet from the bottle comes out at 90 degrees and not out the top. This mans that the regulator is now sideways. Whilst I know that it won't effect it's use, I made sure that the gauges are facing the front :cool:
pretty sure the last time i looked at SGS round here they were rent free - just pay for refills ... got a flyer from them somewhere on my desk - will have a look :unsure::unsure:
As an agent for BOC I told them regularly that if they dropped the rental on their X and Y size bottles they'd have a much greater demand from casual users.
any a/c holders with a D/d never paid a deposit though
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
For a few months now I've been thinking about getting another 'classic' motorbike.
And on Monday evening, I was at a certain meeting for men, when my mate, Les, said to me, "I won't me using my Goldwing any more if you are interested in it. I just want it out of the garage"
Les has serious health issues and struggles with day to day living :oops:
So, yesterday, I popped over to look at it and determined that it hasn't been used for over 3 years...
View attachment 85354
It's a 1994 GL1500 Honda Goldwing with only 53k on the clock...

View attachment 85355
Actually, apart from need a really good clean it's in great condition. "I had it detailed when I last used it" made me realise that this is a great bike

Now, I realise that it will need complete commissioning and checking over. And as usual will start with cleaning out all the old petrol from the tank and carburettors. Then a really good service and inspection etc.
We shook hands on a really good deal. And agreed to collect it on my Ifor after our next holiday :cool:

New Haynes manual ordered - us old boys enjoy a project. Think that Jack will enjoy working on this project with his granddad :love:
did you dare start it? Mine's a '99 on a T plate from memory - not been run in several years and am loathe to turn it over after the cam belts have been stood in the same spot for so long ... have a belt snap or shed teeth would be a nightmare ... was determined to put some new on this summer and get it out, but usual thing .. time got away from me yet again ... would be nice to chuck my leg over it
For the first time since I was 17 I don't have any active bike insurance .. let it lapse in May as the renewal was ridiculous - got a quote from the same ppl as new biz and was less than half of the renewal - taking the p*ss or what :mad::mad:
great bikes, but HEAVY man :giggle: ... real mile eaters .. have done Le Havre to the Med in a day on mine, across France and the trip in reverse
tried a back rest on mine and didn't like it - too restrictive and took it back off.
Called mine 'The Ghost' as you can't hear it coming and whispers along
IMG_1437.jpg

its predecessor ... I loved it ... Pam hated the pillion so it had to go and if she didn't like the Wings seat I was gonna give up
IMG_1111.jpg
IMG_1114.jpg

minter, Californian import
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
I had a go on my brother-in-law’s Goldwing in Germany a few years ago. For an enormous machine they are amazingly easy to ride and manoeuvre - the centre of gravity is very low and the riding position gives you plenty of control.
I’ve seen video clips of an American fella giving one a good thrashing off-road (on some pretty challenging terrain!). Looks fun, but only if the bike is sacrificial and you have 20 mates with you to help get it upright when you drop it 🤣
very good on the move, as you say, but as with any tourer/'dressed' siccle, you have to learn where to park and how ;)
for such a lump it's amazing on the go - only bike I've ever owned where tyre noise is an issue :ROFLMAO: also the only thing I've ever owned that's killed a front tyre before the rear :oops:o_O ridden enthusiastically :giggle::giggle:
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
Yep it weighs 360kg much more than my ZZR1200 😳
But really looking forward to fettling it, getting it running again and cruising in nice weather 😎
you will enjoy it Dave .. nice cruiser, which'll GLF if you need it to :giggle::giggle:
 
Last edited:
Routy56

Routy56

Well-known member
pretty sure the last time i looked at SGS round here they were rent free - just pay for refills ... got a flyer from them somewhere on my desk - will have a look :unsure::unsure:
As an agent for BOC I told them regularly that if they dropped the rental on their X and Y size bottles they'd have a much greater demand from casual users.
any a/c holders with a D/d never paid a deposit though
Yep I can live with a one off deposit of £120. It will see me out 🤪
 
Routy56

Routy56

Well-known member
did you dare start it? Mine's a '99 on a T plate from memory - not been run in several years and am loathe to turn it over after the cam belts have been stood in the same spot for so long ... have a belt snap or shed teeth would be a nightmare ... was determined to put some new on this summer and get it out, but usual thing .. time got away from me yet again ... would be nice to chuck my leg over it
For the first time since I was 17 I don't have any active bike insurance .. let it lapse in May as the renewal was ridiculous - got a quote from the same ppl as new biz and was less than half of the renewal - taking the p*ss or what :mad::mad:
great bikes, but HEAVY man :giggle: ... real mile eaters .. have done Le Havre to the Med in a day on mine, across France and the trip in reverse
tried a back rest on mine and didn't like it - too restrictive and took it back off.
Called mine 'The Ghost' as you can't hear it coming and whispers along
View attachment 85362
its predecessor ... I loved it ... Pam hated the pillion so it had to go and if she didn't like the Wings seat I was gonna give up View attachment 85361View attachment 85360
minter, Californian import
Thought this post would wake you up Gra 🤣
Not gonna try and start it until all the servicing including cam belts have been done. No history with this bike, so no idea if they have been done 🙄
You’re gonna have to pull yours out and recommission it or sell it 🤔
So looking forward to riding this classic bike which may be a tad better than a BSA Bantam ☺️
 
Routy56

Routy56

Well-known member
I had a go on my brother-in-law’s Goldwing in Germany a few years ago. For an enormous machine they are amazingly easy to ride and manoeuvre - the centre of gravity is very low and the riding position gives you plenty of control.
I’ve seen video clips of an American fella giving one a good thrashing off-road (on some pretty challenging terrain!). Looks fun, but only if the bike is sacrificial and you have 20 mates with you to help get it upright when you drop it 🤣
Yep looking forward to riding this bike, but only when it's not raining :cool:
And yes it's a big old lump, certainly felt that when I wheeled it out of the garage.
Watched a Youtube review with this fella showing how easy they are to pick up on yer own when dropped. Basically, they don't lean over too far. Guess I'll practice that in private on our lawn :ROFLMAO:
Here's the Youtube
Nice review but what surprised me is that M and P Motorcyles of Swansea have now closed down after 47 years of trading:oops: @V8Druid - did you know this Gra? I used to use them for spares parts etc back in the day after seeing the adverts in MCN :giggle:
 
Top