Rates of Pay

Shovelhands

Shovelhands

Well-known member
This is the issue through and through..... Trouble is the big firms make there money back sneakily whilst telling a client a machine should be earning f**k all.

I do like threads like this..... make me feel very smug tbh
You are smug
 
Mark

Mark

Well-known member
This is the issue through and through..... Trouble is the big firms make there money back sneakily whilst telling a client a machine should be earning f**k all.

I do like threads like this..... make me feel very smug tbh
Every few years a few get caught out and the paying field gets evened.
 
M

Monkeybusiness

Well-known member
These blokes were literally sitting down for 3hrs a day and the firm thought they were being clever docking them 15mins. What a s**t show
The issue could be the client though tbh - they might pay for the hire based on the telemetry and penalise the employer for early finishes etc...
 
M

Matt

Member
We re paying around £130-£150 for decent groundworkers and £150 upwards for machine drivers.
Everyone I have spoken to recently wants £180+ for machine driving, even had one guy say he wants £250. We re only able to do 8-9 hour shifts on our current job due to neighbours so that’s working out over £20 an hour to get a decent machine driver and £16 an hour for a groundworker. CIS self employed not on the books.

Maybe I’m expecting too much, just wanted to see other peoples opinions.
 
Gunners

Gunners

Well-known member
We re paying around £130-£150 for decent groundworkers and £150 upwards for machine drivers.
Everyone I have spoken to recently wants £180+ for machine driving, even had one guy say he wants £250. We re only able to do 8-9 hour shifts on our current job due to neighbours so that’s working out over £20 an hour to get a decent machine driver and £16 an hour for a groundworker. CIS self employed not on the books.

Maybe I’m expecting too much, just wanted to see other peoples opinions.
£250 a shift? I don't remember us chatting before? 🤪
 
S

Smiffy

Well-known member
We re paying around £130-£150 for decent groundworkers and £150 upwards for machine drivers.
Everyone I have spoken to recently wants £180+ for machine driving, even had one guy say he wants £250. We re only able to do 8-9 hour shifts on our current job due to neighbours so that’s working out over £20 an hour to get a decent machine driver and £16 an hour for a groundworker. CIS self employed not on the books.

Maybe I’m expecting too much, just wanted to see other peoples opinions.


Tbh for the area that probably is a bit low especially for the groundworkers, there are a few firms offering 140-160 a day PAYE for ground workers in Surrey.
 
Bri963

Bri963

Well-known member
Fair play to everyone getting the highest rate they can, as an operator or as a contractor. There’s always a few who can’t stand to see someone else getting a pound a day more, but I don’t begrudge a good wage to anyone who’s prepared to invest in themselves and put themselves out to do the best work they can. I certainly don’t begrudge me a good wage.
 
doobin

doobin

Well-known member
Fair play to everyone getting the highest rate they can, as an operator or as a contractor. There’s always a few who can’t stand to see someone else getting a pound a day more, but I don’t begrudge a good wage to anyone who’s prepared to invest in themselves and put themselves out to do the best work they can. I certainly don’t begrudge me a good wage.
The issue here is chancers. Lots of chaff to sort through currently. Bring on the crash, folk like us on here will stand head and shoulders above the rest.
 
Bri963

Bri963

Well-known member
Sadly it never works like that, Doob. When the money dives it dives for everyone. It’s just that the wheat finds it easier to find work than the chaff. There’s no golden age coming along for most of us, same **** different year.
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
I've always said that a time will come when a man with a skill set will command a better wage than any button pusher/solicitor/accountant/etc. ....... sadly i don't think we will live to see it ...... but it will come
 
S

Smiffy

Well-known member
I've always said that a time will come when a man with a skill set will command a better wage than any button pusher/solicitor/accountant/etc. ....... sadly i don't think we will live to see it ...... but it will come


We may not see a higher wage but I believe practical skills will keep us in jobs when the button pushers are scratching for work.
This has been proven over the last year albeit that the got paid for it
 
Giles

Giles

Well-known member
Seen today on Facebook
 

Attachments

  • BDB1B175-887E-4CB6-B1F6-01FB37911E0E.png
    BDB1B175-887E-4CB6-B1F6-01FB37911E0E.png
    346.3 KB · Views: 399
  • 6A399D34-BE08-4C5F-AFE4-F9CD2D47EFDE.png
    6A399D34-BE08-4C5F-AFE4-F9CD2D47EFDE.png
    337.5 KB · Views: 359
B

Brendan

Well-known member
Seen today on Facebook
Majority of them groups are full of clowns, all wanting mega rates and bragging of doing sweet fa all the time.
Same as the CSCS groups, I honestly don't get why they think rates should be higher or where the money comes to pay it. Was one looking for Labourers, doing cleaning work, on new builds, advertised at £12 per hour yet lots saying rates too low or wanting dig money on top.

Seen some other clown last week advertising block paving for an all in price of £35 per metre
 
L

Lynchy

Well-known member
Foreman on this job I'm on,through agency paye £18+ hr,gf £21+ first 8 hr then £32,paye plus holiday pay,just laughed at them,360....£220 day,same for welder just fixing up,hard facing piling gear n buckets,so unless your power mad why bother for the hassle.
 
Furniss

Furniss

Well-known member
Im not saying its worth the hassle and its certainly good money but lots working for themselves will be doing better.
 
D

DaveDCB

Well-known member
Just speaking to a local company who have some 3cx down London, doing basic council jobs(easy work!) paying drivers £26/hr and they are walking to work on hs2!

I don’t think I even took £26/hr after diesel costs on a 3cx yet alone paid for the machine etc!!
 
Top