Radius Kerbs

Vinpetrol

Vinpetrol

Well-known member
I’m renting a house that I’m likely going to buy . It has a curve of full, half battered kerbs in its entrance . I want to replace these with half kerbs then take the wall down so I can get some parking in the front garden . Is there any way of working out what radius the full kerbs are so I can get the correct half kerbs . I don’t have space to work out the radius . I wondered can it be done by measuring the length of the kerb straight across the back of it .
Any ideas ?
 
S

Smiffy

Well-known member
Not all kerbs are available in all radiuses. And lots of radiuses are on long back order atm
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot_20230402-115213.png
    Screenshot_20230402-115213.png
    133.5 KB · Views: 413
Mick-the-fitter

Mick-the-fitter

It’s what I do!
Ok ready! Measure the small side (cm) measure the large side (cm) measure width (cm)
Example 80 x 100 x 12!

On a piece of paper draw a long centre line, one end to the other, a little way in from one end in (mm) put your 100, 12mm from there put your 80 mm line, putting a dot on the end of the line, using the centre line have half each side of it (50mm, 40mm above the line 12mm apart, same below the line) now with a ruler join the dots and carry on through until it meets the centre line, put a dot, from this dot to the first dot on the nearest line this is the radius! Times it by 10 will give you your (cm) measurement.
 
Vinpetrol

Vinpetrol

Well-known member
Ok ready! Measure the small side (cm) measure the large side (cm) measure width (cm)
Example 80 x 100 x 12!

On a piece of paper draw a long centre line, one end to the other, a little way in from one end in (mm) put your 100, 12mm from there put your 80 mm line, putting a dot on the end of the line, using the centre line have half each side of it (50mm, 40mm above the line 12mm apart, same below the line) now with a ruler join the dots and carry on through until it meets the centre line, put a dot, from this dot to the first dot on the nearest line this is the radius! Times it by 10 will give you your (cm) measurement.
Nice one mick , in other words , scale it down !
 
Mick-the-fitter

Mick-the-fitter

It’s what I do!
The one at the bottom of the marshals poster I put up is far quicker.

(A²+b²) ÷2b=R.

A being distance between two points on the curve and b being the distance from the center of the two points following the curve and the two points in a straight line.
Yes, there are lots of ways to do it! Some might wonder why a round edge kerb has a squared calculation!😊
 
D

DaveDCB

Well-known member
Or simply..
*edit I just read your post properly 🤦‍♂️
 

Attachments

  • 4E318357-79E9-475A-A384-3237763E86A4.jpeg
    4E318357-79E9-475A-A384-3237763E86A4.jpeg
    53.3 KB · Views: 1,181
Vinpetrol

Vinpetrol

Well-known member
Does anyone else just set full Kerbs out in the rough radius, cut them in half and then split them and eye them in?
I’ve seen that done on a long radius and in all fairness you’d hardly notice they are straights . I suppose it’s down to the length of the radius.
I think it was a roundabout I seen it done so huge radius
 
D

DaveDCB

Well-known member
Actually tell a lie, I did it on these mini kerbs..
ps it wasn’t me on the roller who took the face off 🤦‍♂️ tarmac gang obviously didn’t have enough booze in them!
 

Attachments

  • 0812FE05-E58D-4166-950F-1842C1C24A6C.png
    0812FE05-E58D-4166-950F-1842C1C24A6C.png
    964.2 KB · Views: 351
Giles

Giles

Well-known member
you never have the right ones etc even when carefully worked out, I always order a selection and always handy to have a few internal 90 and quadrant cheese wedges in the yard as merchants always seem to be without them
 
Top