Radiator leak

T

Timmusdavies

New member
Hi, I have a JCB 3CX 1986, and there is a water leak when I fill up the radiator. I have located it to a small hole (5mm) where the fan is attached to the engine block (see photo attached). It looks like there should be a small threaded bolt or something in it, as it is perfectly round. Does anyone have any ideas what it is and what size bolt I should put in it?
 

Attachments

  • canvas.png
    canvas.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 209
CPS

CPS

Well-known member
Hi, I have a JCB 3CX 1986, and there is a water leak when I fill up the radiator. I have located it to a small hole (5mm) where the fan is attached to the engine block (see photo attached). It looks like there should be a small threaded bolt or something in it, as it is perfectly round. Does anyone have any ideas what it is and what size bolt I should put in it?
That is the tell tale hole in your water pump.
Basically you will need to replace the pump, which shouldn't be to costly to do
 
T

Timmusdavies

New member
Great, thanks for that. Do you know where I would get one cheap?
 
CPS

CPS

Well-known member
If you can great a better picture of it il check it out for you
 
T

Timmusdavies

New member
Thanks for your help. Attached are more photo's from side & underneath
 

Attachments

  • 01.png
    01.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 214
  • 02.png
    02.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 265
  • 03.png
    03.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 204
T

Timmusdavies

New member
serial number is 3CX-4/320097/P/S if that helps?
 
Gecko

Gecko

Well-known member
As @CPS says - it's quire normal for a small amount of coolant to weep past the seal and there is a hole for it to vent. The weeping serves to lubricate the seal which is just one reason to always run glycol.
When a significant amount of coolant is getting past the seal - well, you know what that looks like.
Personally, I'd invest in a new belt and a load of de-greaser while you are at it..
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
That is the tell tale hole in your water pump.
Basically you will need to replace the pump, which shouldn't be to costly to do
beat me to it Aiden .... tell tale weep hole .... you could try an egg cup-ful of brake fluid in the coolant ... might swell the seal for a few more months
 
Bri963

Bri963

Well-known member
As @CPS says - it's quire normal for a small amount of coolant to weep past the seal and there is a hole for it to vent. The weeping serves to lubricate the seal which is just one reason to always run glycol.
When a significant amount of coolant is getting past the seal - well, you know what that looks like.
Personally, I'd invest in a new belt and a load of de-greaser while you are at it..
Nah, shouldn't be leaking anything. If it is, the seal's going/going/gone, and the bearing is generally not far behind. Assuming that it's a Perkins. Other manufacturers may vary.
 
Top