R.Sanders Plant

Canal Navvy

Canal Navvy

Well-known member
I work on the theory that as long as there are no dead spots you can go damn near flat, difficult with builders who want to use 6M lengths and have them look good from above for building control. Far better to snake them from side to side and not just restrict the length to 3M :(

Worked on a sewage works job once where the R.E. came out once a day with a different tennis ball and if it ran to the end of the run it passed.

These days with grade match lasers being so affordable it's not that hard, my end of the day check is to rinse my coffee mug into the top of the days run and expect to see the rinsings at the bottom by the time i've packed up and locked up ;).

I think that the trend towards low water consumption appliances makes the assumption that It'll wash through quite brave :unsure:
 
Thomas7740

Thomas7740

Well-known member
We fixed one a previous man had bodged, little fall so was originally done with 6 crock to the house and then around the house was 4 inch crock. The man had replaced some of the 6 inch crock with 4 inch plastic so it was actually backfalling :rolleyes: we ended up resewering the whole house, 6inch plastic from road to house (around 50m) then 4imch plastic around the house, house sits lower than the road, the fall was 1:415, basically level, thank god for the pipe laser 👌
 
S

Smiffy

Well-known member
I think that the trend towards low water consumption appliances makes the assumption that It'll wash through quite brave :unsure:

I think that's why building control prefer toilets to be at the end of a run
If coming under multiple upstands I understand it you can drop basins showers or appliances into a toilet run but can't drop a toilet into one of the above
 
TiltyShaun

TiltyShaun

Well-known member
Personally I find 1.80 on foul works with no issue. Happy to go flatter if required on storm.
 
J

Jimoz

Well-known member
1:80 is ok like I said no problems but I just think your workmanship has to be a lot better. I honestly sent 2 deliveries of 3m pipe back from this job. First was cheap and although met bs was half the weight of the good manufacturers like flowplast,poly etc. The second lot from buildbase honestly had like 18mm bananas in 3m lengths. I said to the guy I'm working with 12mm fall per metre what the f**k am I supposed to do with this. I use levels with packers taped to the end to match my gradient because I'm a Neanderthal who doesn't do loads of drainage. After getting the bubble level to meet the fall I'll flip the 6ft level over to check the pipe is straight not bowed.
@Furniss Yeh must be for the same reason as here. Pipe is supposed to be at a constant gradient but they're not bothered if super steep now if PVC.
 
pettsy

pettsy

Well-known member
I use levels with packers taped to the end to match my gradient because I'm a Neanderthal who doesn't do loads of drainage.

Did a run across a field to a septic tank for a friend and did it exactly the same way with a long spirit level and Packer.
 
Furniss

Furniss

Well-known member
1:80 is ok like I said no problems but I just think your workmanship has to be a lot better. I honestly sent 2 deliveries of 3m pipe back from this job. First was cheap and although met bs was half the weight of the good manufacturers like flowplast,poly etc. The second lot from buildbase honestly had like 18mm bananas in 3m lengths. I said to the guy I'm working with 12mm fall per metre what the f**k am I supposed to do with this. I use levels with packers taped to the end to match my gradient because I'm a Neanderthal who doesn't do loads of drainage. After getting the bubble level to meet the fall I'll flip the 6ft level over to check the pipe is straight not bowed.
@Furniss Yeh must be for the same reason as here. Pipe is supposed to be at a constant gradient but they're not bothered if super steep now if PVC.
I wondered why the steep fall rules had changed .... must have been some regs left over from way back before pvc.


We dig it all bang on grade with slope laser or idig 🙂 - then I will often set the laser on level and check overall fall for a known length as a double check to make sure i had the axis ligned up 100%.... got to be right as certain inspectors will check it for constant grade not just either end for total fall.
To avoid the bowed s**t thats been badly stored we have started to buy the pipe in unopened packs.
 
Last edited:
J

Jimoz

Well-known member
@pettsy my old man is a brickie and tried to teach me with "turn of a bubble" nonsense but my chippie brain can't deal with that sloppy tolerance. Set your call, tape right amount of packers to level to suit, get bubble bang on...
 
S

Smiffy

Well-known member
The Leica laser receivers with digital readout are plus minus 65mm
That gives you a total of 130mm of readout which is enough to lay a 6m length of pipe using the readout
No use with an idiot on the staff but if you can get your head around it for laying multiple runs of pipework can be very quick save moving the laser for each run
 
J

Jimoz

Well-known member
5/6" block of wood and my rotary beeping machine will do the same I suppose! Staff ontop of block of wood at low end, ontop of top of pipe at the high end listen for the beep. Horses for courses
 
GazCro

GazCro

Well-known member
Trouble is local building control don't all follow the exact same rules. I can be working at one job where they hardly bother about steep drain runs and 2 mile up the road its covered by a different area and it's a completely different story. There's also a bit of confusion because plastic pipe manufacturers claim falls can be used which building control won't accept .
 
J

Jimoz

Well-known member
@GazCro all bco's have their own specific things they seem to focus on. Like all people I suppose some sound some not. You can always go nuclear and tell them it complies with the rule book but after you do that the relationship is f***ed and they will work against you.
Got to play the game, find out what floats their boat and keep then happy.
 
Furniss

Furniss

Well-known member
Trouble is local building control don't all follow the exact same rules. I can be working at one job where they hardly bother about steep drain runs and 2 mile up the road its covered by a different area and it's a completely different story. There's also a bit of confusion because plastic pipe manufacturers claim falls can be used which building control won't accept .

Sounds like here - we are on the border between 2 departments who interpret the norms differently.... hard work in the beginning :rolleyes:
 
S

Smiffy

Well-known member
@GazCro all bco's have their own specific things they seem to focus on. Like all people I suppose some sound some not. You can always go nuclear and tell them it complies with the rule book but after you do that the relationship is f***ed and they will work against you.
Got to play the game, find out what floats their boat and keep then happy.

I think most people round here use independent companies so they can get the same person every time and know what to expect
 
GazCro

GazCro

Well-known member
I think most people round here use independent companies so they can get the same person every time and know what to expect
Quite a few started using independents round here because at first they worked out cheaper. Once they'd got a bit of business they put costs up and actually ended up dearer if anything. They also don't come out very often so getting inspections got to be a hassle, having said that they were happy for you to send them pics (word of warning on this tho if they haven't been on site and you sent pics and something goes wrong it could come back on you and not them).
 
Quattromike

Quattromike

Well member-known
Are you guys suggesting government departments write the rules deliberately vague and open to interpretation to make sure they are not telling you what to do just so they can come back after you've done it and tell you that you're doing it wrong 🧐 would never happen!
 
S

Smiffy

Well-known member
Are you guys suggesting government departments write the rules deliberately vague and open to interpretation to make sure they are not telling you what to do just so they can come back after you've done it and tell you that you're doing it wrong 🧐 would never happen!


No never just that that don't know their a***hole from there elbow
 
JD450A

JD450A

Moderattor🐾
I best make @Gunners feel it's not only him....

Fed up with it.... Mostly due to my horrific admin and the fact I need to sit down and do bills

Weather not helping either.

Big job I brought the izuzu for has been cancelled 🤔 those that know know. Bit it's annoying.

Same old same old....
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20201007_150027.jpg
    IMG_20201007_150027.jpg
    233.9 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_20201007_145947.jpg
    IMG_20201007_145947.jpg
    360.5 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_20200920_163417.jpg
    IMG_20200920_163417.jpg
    315.2 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG_20200920_163521.jpg
    IMG_20200920_163521.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_20200923_190331.jpg
    IMG_20200923_190331.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_20200925_113702.jpg
    IMG_20200925_113702.jpg
    293.4 KB · Views: 194
Top