PTO wood chipper

Vinpetrol

Vinpetrol

Well-known member
Has anyone used a pto driven wood chipper ?
I’m thinking of getting one for my tractor . It’s a 50hp Ford 3910 (equivalent) I’ve used a tracked wood chipper that handles 6 inch sticks and it was an animal ! Just wondered how a pto one would compare
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
Has anyone used a pto driven wood chipper ?
I’m thinking of getting one for my tractor . It’s a 50hp Ford 3910 (equivalent) I’ve used a tracked wood chipper that handles 6 inch sticks and it was an animal ! Just wondered how a pto one would compare
almost picked one up last year for the Zetor, s/h in Usk, but someone beat me to it ... would've been bloody handy this week :rolleyes::(
 
Lancs Lad

Lancs Lad

Well-known member
Has anyone used a pto driven wood chipper ?
I’m thinking of getting one for my tractor . It’s a 50hp Ford 3910 (equivalent) I’ve used a tracked wood chipper that handles 6 inch sticks and it was an animal ! Just wondered how a pto one would compare
Only used big schiesling on PTO absolute weapon. They smaller ones always look crap on compacts imo and often don't have infeed rollers .I just hire a 8in tracked as and when I need
@Monkeybusiness is your man.
 
Vinpetrol

Vinpetrol

Well-known member
almost picked one up last year for the Zetor, s/h in Usk, but someone beat me to it ... would've been bloody handy this week :rolleyes::(
Just saw that in your thread ! I’ve got a good few trees and a chipper is much handier than trying to burn them all the time . Had a big fire yesterday and still burning this morning
 
Vinpetrol

Vinpetrol

Well-known member
Only used big schiesling on PTO absolute weapon. They smaller ones always look crap on compacts imo and often don't have infeed rollers .I just hire a 8in tracked as and when I need
@Monkeybusiness is your man.
Yes the feed in makes a hell of a difference .
I saw that Winton make one for a 50hp tractor and the Winton flail I bought is very good
 
doobin

doobin

Well-known member
I've got a Rock machinery 5" one that I'd part with if you're interested?

Whatever you get, make sure it has twin feed rollers. Rollers and the antistress bit are the letdown on most PTO machines- they don\t seem to bite as hard as a pro model and the speed is not automatic, you set it on a lever.
 
Vinpetrol

Vinpetrol

Well-known member
I've got a Rock machinery 5" one that I'd part with if you're interested?

Whatever you get, make sure it has twin feed rollers. Rollers and the antistress bit are the letdown on most PTO machines- they don\t seem to bite as hard as a pro model and the speed is not automatic, you set it on a lever.
What HP tractor does it need ?
 
M

Monkeybusiness

Well-known member
50hp is plenty for a decent pto chipper - weight is the bigger issue on a smaller tractor.
A 6 inch Timberwolf 150 would be a good buy if you could find one second hand. Greenmech did a 6 inch pto machine but it’s not very good - they also did an 8 inch which is a great machine but possibly a bit heavy for your tractor.
I’ve never looked at the Winton so can’t comment. There are some Mickey Mouse Chinese machines out there of different flavours, but they might do your job if it’s only sporadic use.
I’ve got an old 1928 Greenmech Road-tow machine that is a real beast (it’ll chip 7.5x11 inch) - 45hp Isuzu engine. The stress control doesn’t work but you don’t need it unless you are chipping big timber. I’ll be selling that for £3k when I finally get around to dragging it back from my friend’s house (who borrowed it two years ago 🤣).
 
Lancs Lad

Lancs Lad

Well-known member
50hp is plenty for a decent pto chipper - weight is the bigger issue on a smaller tractor.
A 6 inch Timberwolf 150 would be a good buy if you could find one second hand. Greenmech did a 6 inch pto machine but it’s not very good - they also did an 8 inch which is a great machine but possibly a bit heavy for your tractor.
I’ve never looked at the Winton so can’t comment. There are some Mickey Mouse Chinese machines out there of different flavours, but they might do your job if it’s only sporadic use.
I’ve got an old 1928 Greenmech Road-tow machine that is a real beast (it’ll chip 7.5x11 inch) - 45hp Isuzu engine. The stress control doesn’t work but you don’t need it unless you are chipping big timber. I’ll be selling that for £3k when I finally get around to dragging it back from my friend’s house (who borrowed it two years ago 🤣).
Winton is Chinese but with UK support...
Hunt hard enough you'll find the unbranded cousin.
 
Storrsy

Storrsy

Well-known member
I used to have a TP 200 pto. Was a great chipper. It didn't have autostress control but you could turn the feed rollers down for bigger timber. Think they made a 6" version too which would probably be just right for a 50hp tractor
 
Top