Project 8 3CX rear window.

Scraperman

Scraperman

Well-known member
I have searched for this but can't find anything. We suffered a broken rear window on a Project 8 3CX today. It has the up and over window with 2 holes for the wiper motor. I have cleaned all the fragments up and I can say that the frame hasn't suffered any damage. But I have found that the fitting of the window to the frame is different to anything I have seen before on a machine.

There is a rubber seal but instead of having grooves on both sides, one for the glass and the opposite one for the frame it looks as if one side of the seal is glued to the glass and then the other side of the seal is glued to the frame. I have attached a photo. but it's not that clear.

Is anyone able to confirm that what I have found is how they were manufactured and/or is able to shed some light on my problem please. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
 

Attachments

  • Broken window-2.jpg
    Broken window-2.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 231
D

DaveDCB

Well-known member
Cab Glass at Nottingham 07832 377178

Give him a call, he’ll come out and just sort it for you, he’s done afew p21 for me, was around £250 last one I had… probably double now 🤦‍♂️
 
Scraperman

Scraperman

Well-known member
Thank you gentlemen. I did wonder if it was worth having a go myself. I'm in Warwickshire if anyone knows someone who would come and fix it for me that would be great.
 
M

Monkeybusiness

Well-known member
AC Glazing are mega - they’ve pulled me out of the s**t with local recommendations in the past when I’ve needed an immediate fix and they couldn’t get there in my timeframe. Pretty much nationwide coverage and they know their onions.
 
Scraperman

Scraperman

Well-known member
AC Glazing are mega - they’ve pulled me out of the s**t with local recommendations in the past when I’ve needed an immediate fix and they couldn’t get there in my timeframe. Pretty much nationwide coverage and they know their onions.
Thank you for that. I will get in touch with them. Just out of curiosity, if anyone reading this topic has actually seen this type of windscreen replaced, do you remove the frame and stick the glass to one side of the seal and the stick the other side of the seal to the frame and then replace it all back in the cab or do you stick the glass to the seal and then stick the whole lot to the frame while the frame is still in situ, i.e. without rmoving the frame ?
 
Shovelhands

Shovelhands

Well-known member
Thank you for that. I will get in touch with them. Just out of curiosity, if anyone reading this topic has actually seen this type of windscreen replaced, do you remove the frame and stick the glass to one side of the seal and the stick the other side of the seal to the frame and then replace it all back in the cab or do you stick the glass to the seal and then stick the whole lot to the frame while the frame is still in situ, i.e. without rmoving the frame ?

Unless I’m very much mistaken, the “seal” you are describing is actually the adhesive that bonds the window in, some sort of PU adhesive I imagine, which now looks like rubber. I’ve certainly never seen a bonded window that has anything other than the adhesive in between the glass and the frame.
Usually you’d clean the remaining adhesive from the frame, apply the fresh adhesive to the glass and then position it in the frame/cab, making sure to hold it in position while the adhesive sets. With any door or frame like you have it’s probably best to fit the glass in situ with the frame firmly closed, otherwise you could inadvertently create a twist in the frame and it might not fit as well as it used to with the new glass fitted.
At the end of the day, if you’re going to get a plant glazing firm to sort it, then they will do whatever they think is necessary to do the job, if they see fit to remove the frame then I’m sure they will.
 
Scraperman

Scraperman

Well-known member
Unless I’m very much mistaken, the “seal” you are describing is actually the adhesive that bonds the window in, some sort of PU adhesive I imagine, which now looks like rubber. I’ve certainly never seen a bonded window that has anything other than the adhesive in between the glass and the frame.
Usually you’d clean the remaining adhesive from the frame, apply the fresh adhesive to the glass and then position it in the frame/cab, making sure to hold it in position while the adhesive sets. With any door or frame like you have it’s probably best to fit the glass in situ with the frame firmly closed, otherwise you could ......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
Thank you. That makes a lot of sense. I called it a seal because that's what it is called on on the parts web site - see image below, item No. 3. Also another query ! There appears to be quite a few different types of this window : clear and tinted glass and direct glazing or not as the bottom image below shows. Can anyone enlighten me what all these options are please ? In the meantime thanks to everyone for all the help that I am getting from this Forum.

Screenshot 2022-12-17 at 10-37-30 3CX SITEMASTER TURBO 30KPH Spare Parts.png

Screenshot 2022-12-17 at 10-46-05 3CX SITEMASTER TURBO 30KPH Spare Parts.png
 
T

topkit

Well-known member
I got a windscreen done on a Project 8 a couple of years ago, the glazier had a special tool which he ran around the windscreen to cut the adhesive then he pushed the windscreen out cleaned up the frame then just used a special mastic bonding sealer and set the windscreen back into it, After a while it sets and its all done, I did purchase a special tool for cutting the adhesive it has a sort of 90 degree blade to the handle, They sell on Ebay and are not particularly expensive,I will take a picture and post it
 
Scraperman

Scraperman

Well-known member
I got a windscreen done on a Project 8 a couple of years ago, the glazier had a special tool which he ran around the windscreen to cut the adhesive then he pushed the windscreen out cleaned up the frame then just used a special mastic bonding sealer and set the windscreen back into it, After a while it sets and its all done, I did purchase a special tool for cutting the adhesive it has a sort of 90 degree blade to the handle, They sell on Ebay and are not particularly expensive,I will take a picture and post it
Thank you for that. I have started to remove the "seal" and I hope to finish it this morning and I'll take some piccies. I am using a little bit of heat and it's coming off quite well (in most places ! ) Can I assume that when the chap did your window he never removed the frame at all ? I just wonder how they keep the window back in the frame while any bonding agent sets. Maybe as soon as it's in the frame the window is then opened so that it is lying on top of the frame as it does when the window is in the open position. I do have another problem which I can get round and that is that the two window fasteners are broken. They are only plastic moulded things and I can see that they are available on the web site.
 
Scraperman

Scraperman

Well-known member
It's interesting the seal is shown as a spare part, when just below is a kit for doing the job.
Ooops, I hadn't seen that. Thank you. Am I correct in thinking that "Direct glazing" is what I have i.e. A piece of glass that is held in position using an adhesive procedure as opposed to normal windscreens that have a rubber seal which has a slot on each side, one for the glass and the other one which fits over both sides of the window frame ?
 
Gecko

Gecko

Well-known member
You want the sealant to set when the frame is pulled into it's 'home' position.
The steel stiffens the glass and the glass stiffens the steel, but you won't want them fighting each other


These handles or for the side windows?

the first one I ordered came from india and was diecast - trouble was, india sent the wring side.
second attempt (hcparts) were much better made and I fitted a pair.
 
Gecko

Gecko

Well-known member
Ooops, I hadn't seen that. Thank you. Am I correct in thinking that "Direct glazing" is what I have i.e. A piece of glass that is held in position using an adhesive procedure as opposed to normal windscreens that have a rubber seal which has a slot on each side, one for the glass and the other one which fits over both sides of the window frame ?
I hadn't heard the term before either, but that was my interpretation - glued down rather than a mounded weather strip.
 
Mogman

Mogman

What man as done, man can do, what never has,maybe
My brother has a shitty little car to run back and forth to work leaves it at the end of the road (got 3 other cars on his drive plus a van grown up children not moving out🤔🙄🙄) so no room up the cul-de-sac, anyway some little scrote decided to smash his side window (didn’t steal anything just broke the glass) so this was his repair😳😂😂
1E2B2CE3-51BB-4BDB-8D60-9CE3C6A39E48.jpeg

976B0637-A6A3-4AA5-93B8-C86F87C5512A.jpeg

perspex, gutter sealant and tex screws
 
Scraperman

Scraperman

Well-known member
My brother has a shitty little car to run back and forth to work leaves it at the end of the road (got 3 other cars on his drive plus a van grown up children not moving out🤔🙄🙄) so no room up the cul-de-sac, anyway some little scrote decided to smash his side window (didn’t steal anything just broke the glass) so this was his repair😳😂😂perspex, gutter sealant and tex screws
I could live with that. I had wondered how clear perspex is nowadays. How long does it stay that clear ? I am insured for my smashed window but if I have any hassle I would consider perspex. Well done you How do you cut the stuff ? 👍
 
Scraperman

Scraperman

Well-known member
Been cleaning the job up today ready for a new window (hopefully) I got a bit of heat on the backside of the frame using a small can of gas with a burner attached. That way I didn't burn any paint off and I was able to get the "seal" off quite easily with a narrow wood chisel. Sorry, can't figure out how to turn the images vertical once they're on here.

IMG_4204(S).jpgIMG_4211(S).jpg
 
Scraperman

Scraperman

Well-known member
Just a huge thank you to all who have helped me with this problem. It's finally finished and I have learnt a lot ! I had no idea about windows being glued in these days, I thought they were still using the old rubber surround partially over the frane and partially holding the glass. Had a chap whose sole business is fitting windscreens come and put it in for me a couple of days ago (I had done all the pre-cleaning) and today I put the wiper motor and blade back in place. That's a spirit level sitting on the frame that also got broken in the accident and so I have to fix/replace that yet. Always had one of those fitted. Can be a very useful little addition sometimes.

Window6(S).jpg
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
Just a huge thank you to all who have helped me with this problem. It's finally finished and I have learnt a lot ! I had no idea about windows being glued in these days, I thought they were still using the old rubber surround partially over the frane and partially holding the glass. Had a chap whose sole business is fitting windscreens come and put it in for me a couple of days ago (I had done all the pre-cleaning) and today I put the wiper motor and blade back in place. That's a spirit level sitting on the frame that also got broken in the accident and so I have to fix/replace that yet. Always had one of those fitted. Can be a very useful little addition sometimes.

View attachment 43204
put a Bull's eye on top of the king post pin ...... get that level and the bucket'll be level where ever you put it ;)(y)
1673808280665.png
 
Scraperman

Scraperman

Well-known member
put a Bull's eye on top of the king post pin ...... get that level and the bucket'll be level where ever you put it ;)(y)
Had never thought about that. Presume that you can still see the bubble clearly when the kingpost is at it's extreme L/R positions in the rails ? The position of my spirit level means that it's very easy to see the bubble.
 
Top