pricing work

Thomas7740

Thomas7740

when it comes to muck away i allow 3m3 on an 8 yard skip, 7m3 on a 8 wheeler grab, and 8 m3 on a 8 wheel tipper i have a guy with a tractor and trailer take some stuff away he tells me it is 12 ton but i don't it holds more than 4m3
4 cube is about right for a 12ton dump trailer, always found a 12 ton dump trailer will usually only hold about 8 ton, usually 12ton when loaded

Thomas7740

Thomas7740

with aggregate / stone, presumably??
Sorry, i meant 12 ton as in the load and the trailer. Im used to the older style 12 tonners, not the modern half pipe type. They are usually about 3.5-4ton empty, and from memory the most 2inch crusher run i had in one was 11 ton, and that was a load that wad exactly highway safe, glad i only had to go a half mile. Depending on stone etc you will normally get 8 to 9 ton in.

Its why we use dropside trailers. Same load as dump trailer but lighter when empty,better tyre choice, can load into with smaller diggers and high tip dumpers and easier to reverse in places. Our 13x7 woods holds same amount 13ton bucketfuls as a 12 ton dump trailer and my 14x7'6 Kane holds the same amount has a 15 ton herron dump trailer

Gunners

Gunners

I appreciate the concern to make sure you are pricing things right, and its something I wish people shared more with each other, every time it has come up, we all seem to go about calculating quantities in slightly different ways. And some of you are buying type 1 so cheap, its tempting to run my own tractor trailer from op north down to Surrey! None of us are in competition either, we all live too far apart, @doobin is probably my closest rival and he is more than welcome to all the grannies around Farnham :ROFLMAO:
There are so many other factors that go into a client choosing you for a job. Don't get hung up on price - that's just race to the bottom stuff. Think about it, there is a reason we buy Honda engines for our small plant, its taken a long time for the Chinese copies to establish themselves as a a viable alternative. We would rather pay more for the perceived quality that the Honda has.
Same goes for your contracting business - no matter what size it might be. In the short time you get to look at the job and discuss the clients requirements, you have to give them the confidence that you are the man for the job. Then when your price is slightly more, you stand a chance of them going with you. There isn't a hard fast way of achieving this as customers expectations vary across the country, and I don't want to tell you to suck eggs, just don't get too hung up on being the cheapest.

B

Brendan

Have always found spons to be miles out on small works, the books are generally for larger scale stuff.
Unless I'm just completely reading the books wrong.

Antony Holmes

Antony Holmes

Have always found spons to be miles out on small works, the books are generally for larger scale stuff.
Unless I'm just completely reading the books wrong.
part of the problem is most large job has a spek and a lot will have a bill of quantity's to so in Thierry sould be easer to price like for like and price with meter rates most of the jobs under say £20k if you are lucky you will get a pdf of drawings not like the old days a big fat envelope full of ao plans you could go over with a highlighter pen . another problem is the way Every body pricing interrupting the job differently. Is hardcore is mot type 1 or 6f2 at half the price
it is all part of the challenge
i probably win1 in 2 of the jobs i price witch means i am a bit on the cheep side and may well adjust that in the new year.

hiluxman

hiluxman

I'm not fussed if I'm either cheap or expensive, its worked out to suit my running costs, profits ect. So long as it stacks up right then I'm happy, I don't spend too much time worrying about what others charge.

B

Brendan

part of the problem is most large job has a spek and a lot will have a bill of quantity's to so in Thierry sould be easer to price like for like and price with meter rates most of the jobs under say £20k if you are lucky you will get a pdf of drawings not like the old days a big fat envelope full of ao plans you could go over with a highlighter pen . another problem is the way Every body pricing interrupting the job differently. Is hardcore is mot type 1 or 6f2 at half the price
it is all part of the challenge
i probably win1 in 2 of the jobs i price witch means i am a bit on the cheep side and may well adjust that in the new year.
Most of my stuff at the moment is day rate, majority of the work is always far more involved than original estimates (leak and remedial works), so price work don't really work for the majority of it bar the odd replacement concrete slab.
Haven't really priced any normal domestic work and that's really hit and miss don't really get many of the price work stuff so turns out to be the odd man and machine stuff.
I feel my rates are ok for the pricework stuff but being vat registered there is plenty willing to undercut and I'm happy to let them. My price work is mostly based on how many days it will take me rather than fixed rates out of a book