Each time a new utility had been run they just put it on top of the last
Result being fiber optic 100mm under the surface

And reinstatements will always fail
You can never reinstate using type 1 to a point it won't move
All road trenches should should be filled with dry lean concrete
The only way to get a perfect reinstatement
Also over banding is no longer used as a cyclist slipped on it and fell off
Therefore you will always get a tiny water trap no matter how hard you try
bloody lethal on a motor bike too .... always on the ride line .... have had a few seat foam moments myself, where the front wheel has stepped out on shiny smooth tar ....... have to stuff yer heart back down yer throat after a few of them :oops:o_O:censored::(

S

Smiffy

No different anywhere else either. Biggest problem for the roads now is the make up of the tarmac they use. With all the environment and emissions carry on its not a patch on what it used to be. Its why planings aren't as good as they used to be. Makes me laugh when people go on about melting old upvc windows into it to make super flexible tarmac. They tried it on a road junction near me years ago and dug it back out a few month after. Yeah it was flexible alright it rippled with traffic braking on it

It depends on the plant it comes out of
Even two plants owned by the same company produce completely different gear
Some of it is unusable by hand

Also it doesn't help that the councils buy tarmac 40 tonnes at a time and have it tipped in static hot boxes in there depot's
It could sit there a week before being laid

And every time they want some the whole box gets opened up and they dig it out with a cold bucket on a telehandler
They don't even have the sense to leave the bucket in the hot box to keep it warm

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
wow .....as said .... they've re-invented the wheel AGAIN :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: bet the paint still falls off it though:rolleyes:

S

Smiffy

Tbh I think people are being overly harsh
Jcb have tried to create a machine to help with a problem that is world wide
Yes they are reinventing the wheel and all those components are available already attached to other machines but essentially they have created something from a parts bin so shouldn't have to sell many to cover the design cost
Let's not forget jcb have some truly innovative british designed products

Yes a designed from scratch machine would be better but it would cost more to develop

The biggest thing would be to use a vertical axis milling head rather than horizontal one would mean no having to trim the hole edges
Either a 50mm diameter head being moved on 2 axis to make a large hole like a cnc mill or a large say 24in head so just drop it pick up and move on
If you had a milling head and the sweater or vacuum attached to a track carriage and a tracked hot box tarmac dispenser mini paver type machine to follow and a roller the whole process could be a procession down the road and therefore as @JD450A said it could be run under mobile works no permit required just rock up at a road and sort every pothole

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
Tbh I think people are being overly harsh
Jcb have tried to create a machine to help with a problem that is world wide
Yes they are reinventing the wheel and all those components are available already attached to other machines but essentially they have created something from a parts bin so shouldn't have to sell many to cover the design cost
Let's not forget jcb have some truly innovative british designed products

Yes a designed from scratch machine would be better but it would cost more to develop

The biggest thing would be to use a vertical axis milling head rather than horizontal one would mean no having to trim the hole edges
Either a 50mm diameter head being moved on 2 axis to make a large hole like a cnc mill or a large say 24in head so just drop it pick up and move on
If you had a milling head and the sweater or vacuum attached to a track carriage and a tracked hot box tarmac dispenser mini paver type machine to follow and a roller the whole process could be a procession down the road and therefore as @JD450A said it could be run under mobile works no permit required just rock up at a road and sort every pothole
nah .... they've run out of mugs to flog the hyrdrapigs to and are having to get creative with the surplus (total) output from the pig line :LOL:

Grahams

Grahams

Don't complain - suggest what's better
JCB come up with some great ideas over the years, Hydradigs, skid steers with only one arm, teletruck and the "JCB" - the backhoe loader to name a few, but the overhype of recent launches has been a bit sad. Combined with the perceived build quality issues. I'm not sure if they still have problems, but it takes a long time for a poor reputation to change. There is a hydradig on the roadworks near me and it spent a couple of weeks stuck in the central reservation with the panels off. I can only guess it was something major to take that long. Given the amount of machines there are bound to have been other breakdowns, but I noticed this one because it was a hydradig.
What I did notice on this one was the planer was on the blade, so they must have a high performace hydraulic circuit on the undercarriage. I don't know if this is standard, but if it is it would be handy for running stuff like winches or static stuff you want to load as well as power.

TiltyShaun

TiltyShaun

JCB come up with some great ideas over the years, Hydradigs, skid steers with only one arm, teletruck and the "JCB" - the backhoe loader to name a few, but the overhype of recent launches has been a bit sad. Combined with the perceived build quality issues. I'm not sure if they still have problems, but it takes a long time for a poor reputation to change. There is a hydradig on the roadworks near me and it spent a couple of weeks stuck in the central reservation with the panels off. I can only guess it was something major to take that long. Given the amount of machines there are bound to have been other breakdowns, but I noticed this one because it was a hydradig.
What I did notice on this one was the planer was on the blade, so they must have a high performace hydraulic circuit on the undercarriage. I don't know if this is standard, but if it is it would be handy for running stuff like winches or static stuff you want to load as well as power.
Like you I seem to be a Hydradig spotter. Again in the roadworks with panels off in Cheltenham.
What has caught my eye is the Wacker Neuson Dual view dumper. It makes working in one lane dead end so much more productive and safer!!

Shovelhands

Shovelhands

With the engine in the undercarriage it will be no issue to have high flow to the blade 👍

GazCro

GazCro

Bound to be plenty flow to the undercarriage on a hydradig engine pump etc is all down there.

Grahams

Grahams

Don't complain - suggest what's better
With the engine in the undercarriage it will be no issue to have high flow to the blade 👍
Bound to be plenty flow to the undercarriage on a hydradig engine pump etc is all down there.
I realise that, but it is whether they put the fittings on the chassis as standard or charge you a massive amount as an optional extra, especially if you need to have then retro fitted as you didn't know it was an option in the first place.

GazCro

GazCro

I realise that, but it is whether they put the fittings on the chassis as standard or charge you a massive amount as an optional extra, especially if you need to have then retro fitted as you didn't know it was an option in the first place.
They'll charge cos they are the masters of optional extras. That's often overlooked with jcb a base machine may sound cheap but when you have to tick a box for heater, wiper, radio etc on a cabbed machine!

Lancs Lad

Lancs Lad

I'm also a hydradig spotter😳....and yes I've sold my soul to the devil with my lottery ticket win . Hydradig and EC.😂

GazCro

GazCro

you Have to rember that they are aiming it the at pen pushers in councils So it is a lot easier to have a full package to market.
Trouble is the pen pushers at the councils won't be buying them. They'll be expecting a sub contractor to buy it and then pay half the hourly rate it should be.

GazCro

GazCro

I think the hydradig is a great concept but which has a very limited market. Jcb made their name and grew to the business they are almost entirely off the back of the 3cx. In recent years the 3cx have continued to decline mainly due to the 6 to 8 ton 360 popularity. They do imho have themselves partly to blame though, I would still have a 3cx if they weren't such an oncost due to reliability/poor build quality. The hydradig is the attempt to get this lost market share back with a new idea. Trouble is they are more tool carrier than digger and the uk market doesn't really you utilise that kind of machine especially at the price of a hydradig.
Does anyone know the price of the pot hole pro yet, I bet its easy over 100k