Patio slab ideas?

Storrsy

Storrsy

Well-known member
Fair comment doob, I’m assuming everyone is as daft as me
Slab is up to the job- thought it would be less disruption to just make use of it rather than smack it all and redoing with full mortar bed etc. The main criteria is I just want whatever I use to go off quick as it's the only route into our house and family will be walking over it. I'm not even that fussed if some of the slabs are a few mm proud or whatever- it's all character😂
 
D

DaveDCB

Well-known member
I have some 6meter long youngmans they are brilliant for jobs like this 👍🏼
 
A

Alan caddy

Well-known member
This is the stuff I have used
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20211027_115854.jpg
    IMG_20211027_115854.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 200
M

Maxus

Well-known member
The way to do the job is:
Building sand and cement mortar approx 5:1 with plasticiser, full bed of wet mortar 20/30mm thick ideally. Haunch up at the edge's flush with top of slab.
Personally I don't think SBR is really nessecary in this instance, nor do I think rapid set is. Like some have suggested a scaffold plank or youngman board would probably be fine... I'm sure you can keep people of for a few hours to give it half a chance to set.
Should be able to lay in a few of hours with a helper by the sounds of it. Point up the following day. Cheapest way is a semi dry building sand and cement mix 3:1 compacted into the joints.. use two buckets pouring from on to other dry, then add just enough water that it'll hold together when squeezed but dry enough that it won't stain slabs. Easy peasy.
 
S

Smiffy

Well-known member
This is the stuff I have used

We use that for setting manhole covers in the road. It goes of f****** quick. 45mins before we open the road.
The blue circle stuff is more usable it takes a couple of hours to be strong enough to open the road again
 
doobin

doobin

Well-known member
The way to do the job is:
Building sand and cement mortar approx 5:1 with plasticiser, full bed of wet mortar 20/30mm thick ideally. Haunch up at the edge's flush with top of slab.
Personally I don't think SBR is really nessecary in this instance, nor do I think rapid set is. Like some have suggested a scaffold plank or youngman board would probably be fine... I'm sure you can keep people of for a few hours to give it half a chance to set.
Should be able to lay in a few of hours with a helper by the sounds of it. Point up the following day. Cheapest way is a semi dry building sand and cement mix 3:1 compacted into the joints.. use two buckets pouring from on to other dry, then add just enough water that it'll hold together when squeezed but dry enough that it won't stain slabs. Easy peasy.
Sbr is absolutely essential, both as it’s such a thin skim and also as a bridge bond for the slabs.
 
A

Alan caddy

Well-known member
We use that for setting manhole covers in the road. It goes of f****** quick. 45mins before we open the road.
The blue circle stuff is more usable it takes a couple of hours to be strong enough to open the road again
Ye it's manhole we use it for really strong Toby the time you have cleaned tools etc lid is set solid,
 
Storrsy

Storrsy

Well-known member
Sbr is absolutely essential, both as it’s such a thin skim and also as a bridge bond for the slabs.
Yeah I found that- I cocked up a bit when laying my one out the back, wet the slab and bedded on a full bed of mortar but noticed before I pointed that some of them weren't totally convincing- so pulled up and made cement SBR slurry and relaid- seemed solid after that.
I'd never lay a patio in a professional capacity but was happy enough with my efforts in the end- you'll notice joints aren't that consistent in width and in the end did away with string line and just eyed them in as seemed to make it easier to even the joint width out better..🤔
 

Attachments

  • IMG_4237.JPG
    IMG_4237.JPG
    187.8 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_4238.JPG
    IMG_4238.JPG
    205.9 KB · Views: 184
M

Maxus

Well-known member
Yeah I found that- I cocked up a bit when laying my one out the back, wet the slab and bedded on a full bed of mortar but noticed before I pointed that some of them weren't totally convincing- so pulled up and made cement SBR slurry and relaid- seemed solid after that.
I'd never lay a patio in a professional capacity but was happy enough with my efforts in the end- you'll notice joints aren't that consistent in width and in the end did away with string line and just eyed them in as seemed to make it easier to even the joint width out better..🤔
Looks nice with the white pointing 👌
 
Top