New phone connection (breach of contract)

F

fred

Well-known member
That might yet happen tbh - it’s about 200m from the house though. As opposed to 5m from an existing line ffs!

once they have ran the extra line to your house and made it live. cancel it. They now have a spare line to connect your shed.

did similar trick when internet kept dropping out at home a few years ago and they didn't fix it. kept ordering new lines until they ran out of capacity and had to run a new one. Kept that and cancelled the other 4. I think they charged £90 back then for a residential line install.

The BT bloke wasnt best pleased when they came back to clear out the other 4 when he realised what I was upto.
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
once they have ran the extra line to your house and made it live. cancel it. They now have a spare line to connect your shed.

did similar trick when internet kept dropping out at home a few years ago and they didn't fix it. kept ordering new lines until they ran out of capacity and had to run a new one. Kept that and cancelled the other 4. I think they charged £90 back then for a residential line install.

The BT bloke wasnt best pleased when they came back to clear out the other 4 when he realised what I was upto.
tough sh1t ------- would've been a lot easier to just have been co-operative at realistic prices then, Eh!! :rolleyes:
 
D

DaveDCB

Well-known member
Done afew new Bt connections now and never paid a penny for them.. all residential tho..
 
F

fred

Well-known member
Done afew new Bt connections now and never paid a penny for them.. all residential tho..

no charge for copper installs on new builds, they even free issue the conduit to you. Fibre though they charge £2k/plot.
 
Bob

Bob

Well-known member
You could wait for 5 g ,when that gets as good as they think it will openreach will be in trouble
most youngsters dont have landlines at all now and only have it for broardband .
Thats way openreach dont charge for houses now know that people are wanting to get rid of them
 
M

Monkeybusiness

Well-known member
What mobile network ‘hubs’ are people using? I wasn’t particularly bothered about a physical landline, but thought for the price initially offered it was worth going for. I’m more than happy to run it off a SIM card though as it isn’t ever going to carry a great deal of data in reality.
 
CPS

CPS

Well-known member
I have a hauwei router, not sure the model but can check for you tomorrow, its great, £20 a month and great Internet connection, downloads and up loads no problem
 
D

DaveDCB

Well-known member
no charge for copper installs on new builds, they even free issue the conduit to you. Fibre though they charge £2k/plot.
Yep free everything on copper, the last 3 I did all now have had fibre upgrades FOC.. wasn’t available when I built them.
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
I'd bin the land line tomorrow if i could find a guaranteed reliable, sensibly priced alternative .... haven't had a phone plugged into it in years
 
S

Smiffy

Well-known member
I'd bin the land line tomorrow if i could find a guaranteed reliable, sensibly priced alternative .... haven't had a phone plugged into it in years

Have you looked at the satellite broadband
They where doing rural grants for the installation, my old boss got it all set up for £200 the original quotes where a few thousand
Then just the standard price per month
 
F

fred

Well-known member
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
is this Musk's network ..... read somewhere he's banging 'em up at a rate of knots ???
 
Lancs Lad

Lancs Lad

Well-known member
is this Musk's network ..... read somewhere he's banging 'em up at a rate of knots ???
Yeah had a look last night, I can get the EU Sat one for 45 quid z month, don't trust em tho, EU prob chop UK customers off or something 🤪
Like someone says once 5G arrives , bye bye BT👌
 
F

fred

Well-known member
EU have no control over starlink, order one from USA and it will work here. It auto aligns etc. People in Cornwall are getting 60mb speeds.
 
Lancs Lad

Lancs Lad

Well-known member
EU have no control over starlink, order one from USA and it will work here. It auto aligns etc. People in Cornwall are getting 60mb speeds.
Yes I'd prefer the starlink one , I was referring to the EU one. But starlink twice the price atm plus setup
 
doobin

doobin

Well-known member
You may be right but can't be worse than 10mb 50 year old copper crap.
Not so much use for rural areas- the whole point of it is that it needs a dense network of towers as the signals don't carry far. So much more suitable/profitable for urban areas.
 
Top