Metal detecting

hiluxman

hiluxman

Well-known member
A very random question.

Is anyone into metal detecting. Ive a very curious other half and she loves coming with me to look through what we are digging up ect ect. She mentioned about having a metal detector so i thought i might treat her...been the kind sole i am. So any recomendations folks?
 
D

DaveDCB

Well-known member
I picked one up from Costco to find manhole lids, it’s okay but has too many Random settings , I just wanted it to beep when it found something metal 🤷‍♂️
 
Routy56

Routy56

Well-known member
Got a stihl 084 on a 36” bar. It never misses nails, staples and barbed wire grown into tree trunks.
Big respect for yer chainsaw 😎
Last summer treated my 029 to a new Oregon chain. Second time out trimming back bushes for an oil tank base and loads of sparks came out 🙄
Customer then said, “Oh I forgot about the concrete post in the middle” 🤬
Be interested in what metal detector get the votes 😜
 
doobin

doobin

Well-known member
I've a Garret Ace 400 ( i think)- I'm not into it as a hobby but it's been OK for finding bits and pieces. About £300 worth, but bought secondhand so cheaper. Bloke in the shop said that was about the money to spend to get something with reaonable performance, I got it with a larger coil to search deeper too.

The mega money ones can search in wet sand, but you dont need to spend that much unless beach detecting.
 
GazCro

GazCro

Well-known member
Maybe buy one based on how deep you're prepared to dig.
 
hiluxman

hiluxman

Well-known member
Its somthing abit different and my other half isnt intrested in normal girly stuff shed rather be with me playing in the muck. Shes got a good collection of random stuff shes found when shes come on jobs.
 
Gecko

Gecko

Well-known member
Got a stihl 084 on a 36” bar. It never misses nails, staples and barbed wire grown into tree trunks.

Chainsaw Magnet

1590909142549.png
 
Gecko

Gecko

Well-known member
Back on topic
I searched for the cheapest detector I could find. It has none of the features you pay for in a better detector - no discrimination, no meter, minimal penetration, just one beep (with or without vibration) etc.
But for £7, it will find a screw or nut I've dropped on the ground.

1591317071491.png
 
diggerjones

diggerjones

Well-known member
I'm getting a metal detector for my birthday. If it only find the dropped nail, screw or nut and manhole it will be handy
 
Top