Meanwhile down south.....

K

Keif

Well-known member
I started digging up this failed drain field. It was replaced/relocated in with new 1992 and the old one left behind. It has been a problem/wet spot in this yard ever since.
IMG_20200914_160641.jpg

IMG_20200914_183807.jpg

IMG_20200914_150040.jpg

My 18" bucket worked great with the wet clay. The drain tiles were 4ft deep at one end 2ft at the other 73ft long.. One down 4 more to go.
 
K

Keif

Well-known member
Some stuff I've made to make life easier. First up the blade bucket. Has two tabs, drive under, lift blade and it lifts. You can dump with tow truck cable or scoop out with bucket and place material. Sometimes you have to load a full bucket on the far side as a counterweight.

PXL_20210119_151239373.jpg


Blade bucket in waiting mode.
PXL_20210119_185634834.MP.jpg


Below pic shows the lift tabs and the two foot scandi bucket I made.
PXL_20210118_220639646.jpg

6ft rake/smoother thing with wings. Grab it one way to rake, flip it to smooth. Has 6 or 9" wings, I can't remember, to lessen spillout.
PXL_20210119_222746042.jpg

PXL_20210120_163701065.MP.jpg

PXL_20210122_205028195.jpg

PXL_20210122_160347479.jpg

Garage will be hanging off left side of picture. I'll get a better pic the of rake thing sometime.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20210119_080057_006.jpg
    IMG_20210119_080057_006.jpg
    461.8 KB · Views: 236
Last edited:
K

Keif

Well-known member
Got tired if having 3 dim 55w incandescents. Meet my 7 new LED friends. Crazy difference, don't have any before pics, just imagine darkness...the two canopy lights were 55w auto turn signal bulbs(about as cheap as it gets) replaced with 5w LEDs that actually make light🤣
IMG_20210210_204422_406.jpg
PXL_20210211_005934573.jpg
 
F

fred

Well-known member
Keif it always puzzles me watching vidoes of work on houses/landscaping in the USA the seeming lack of building controls. The biggest one is how all the gutters just dump on the ground sometimes right by a door with no effort to manage the water. This wouldn't be allowed here in the UK.

Also the timber clad shed type construction is this because homes are much cheaper than the UK ones so there isn't enough profit in them to make them out of brick or maybe with the storms they are considered temporary structures to some point ?

I follow a chap on youtube who's firm just goes around adding drainage to houses that have flooded gardens/cellers from the downpipes just dumping onto the ground. Even they dont use a soakaway the pipe it onto the nearest road!

Anyway apologies for the tangent and could you send some of that decent weather to us.
 
K

Keif

Well-known member
Fred I'm thinking and will reply. Wish I could on the weather, been beautiful here.
PXL_20210310_005937554.jpg
 
Last edited:
K

Keif

Well-known member
You’ll be cooking on gas now with that and your new knocker! One man fencing machine.
I added a chain to the post plate like you suggested and helped tremendously!

How deep do you drive vs height of post?
 
Storrsy

Storrsy

Well-known member
I added a chain to the post plate like you suggested and helped tremendously!

How deep do you drive vs height of post?
Well all depends on ground conditions.Round here’s its either wet peat moorland you can push them down 3ft easily or rock hard granite where you struggle to get them in more than a foot! Ideal condition I’d send a 5ft 6” just under 2ft deep leaving about 44” out of the ground
 
K

Keif

Well-known member
I'm driving in 6.5ft posts, 2-2.5ft deep. Its going really well in tough rooty conditions.
PXL_20210317_214843419.jpg

Oh yeah, there isn't much room for getting the perfect machine positioning either. Customer is more than happy👍
 
K

Keif

Well-known member
I did my first bad job and super bummed about it. A concrete slab for a neighbor. I don't usually do concrete but got talked into this and he though he could save some money and I thought I could make some money(🤣to that now). 24x36 slab with a 12"w x12d" footer with 2 rebar along the bottom. Concrete started flowing and stuff I thought someone had braced well wasn't.....a corner let loose but the excavator was near by and I pushed it back in place then braced it. 🤣At this point I was so dumb I kept going🤣 ended up with wavy edges from boards bowing out, a 1.25" dip in the middle of one the 36" walls, it has a smooth power towel finish but there are dips through out the middle....👎

I think my only option is to break it up and never do concrete again... Any other suggestions?
 
diggerjones

diggerjones

Well-known member
I wouldn't break it up. You could put some sort of screed on top
 
GazCro

GazCro

Well-known member
If you end up going over it if you power float finish on it now you'll have to scuff/grind the top to provide a good key for whatever you top it with.
 
Furniss

Furniss

Well-known member
I did my first bad job and super bummed about it. A concrete slab for a neighbor. I don't usually do concrete but got talked into this and he though he could save some money and I thought I could make some money(🤣to that now). 24x36 slab with a 12"w x12d" footer with 2 rebar along the bottom. Concrete started flowing and stuff I thought someone had braced well wasn't.....a corner let loose but the excavator was near by and I pushed it back in place then braced it. 🤣At this point I was so dumb I kept going🤣 ended up with wavy edges from boards bowing out, a 1.25" dip in the middle of one the 36" walls, it has a smooth power towel finish but there are dips through out the middle....👎

I think my only option is to break it up and never do concrete again... Any other suggestions?
Bummer but this s**t happens to everyone from time to time 😡 I wont let anyone else do their own shuttering (no matter what they tell you) we once had to cancel the wagon when we rocked up wellies on ready to pour and he had done the poorest shuttering ive ever seen🤦‍♂️

Have you got the scope height wise to go again over the top of it ?
 
K

Keif

Well-known member
Thanks for the replies! I'll get some pictures loaded up today. The slab is for one of those steel carport/garage thingies.
 
Top