LPG

M

Monkeybusiness

Well-known member
Your biggest savings won't come from the fuel you burn but the design of the heating system. That will largely be governed by how much you are prepared to go altering the rest of the house when you extend it though.
That’s a whole other can of worms tbh - we are adding a big open plan extension that I’m hoping to have ‘wet’ underfloor heating, but keep the rest of the existing house as-is with the traditional radiators.
Please everybody shoot me down as necessary!!!
 
GazCro

GazCro

Well-known member
That’s a whole other can of worms tbh - we are adding a big open plan extension that I’m hoping to have ‘wet’ underfloor heating, but keep the rest of the existing house as-is with the traditional radiators.
Please everybody shoot me down as necessary!!!
Underfloor becomes more efficient the bigger the area you have. If you're gonba put it extension I'd seriously consider it through the whole ground floor.
 
S

Stroppymonkey

Well-known member
What should I be looking for if buying a new oil boiler? Make/type etc? You mentioned modulating oil boilers being in their infancy earlier - is oil boiler tech about to improve?
I’ve been fitting and maintaining Grant oil Boilers for 22 years. 100s of em. Nothing wrong with Worcester oil boilers either and we fit 100s of their gas and lpg boilers. There is a new player in town (navien) which is a very established Korean oil boiler which has a 2 stage burn. Still not seen one though. EOGB make the Sapphire which I’m going to go and train on in new year, that has a 10 stage modulation and is pretty much an oil version of a gas boiler.
No idea what they will be like in 10-15 years for parts and back up. If you want an easy life then spend your money on insulation and MVHR and decent install and decent contols and fit a Grant Vortex Pro boiler. A 15-26 will likely be ample
 
Lancs Lad

Lancs Lad

Well-known member
Your biggest savings won't come from the fuel you burn but the design of the heating system. That will largely be governed by how much you are prepared to go altering the rest of the house when you extend it though.
Amen...
Underfloor becomes more efficient the bigger the area you have. If you're gonba put it extension I'd seriously consider it through the whole ground floor.
And amen....from experience wish we'd done the lot ..

Also make sure you fit a log gobbler....but been a fellow tree monkey ya will 😅 especially if you go heatpump...logburners a must 🤣
 
GazCro

GazCro

Well-known member
I’ve been fitting and maintaining Grant oil Boilers for 22 years. 100s of em. Nothing wrong with Worcester oil boilers either and we fit 100s of their gas and lpg boilers. There is a new player in town (navien) which is a very established Korean oil boiler which has a 2 stage burn. Still not seen one though. EOGB make the Sapphire which I’m going to go and train on in new year, that has a 10 stage modulation and is pretty much an oil version of a gas boiler.
No idea what they will be like in 10-15 years for parts and back up. If you want an easy life then spend your money on insulation and MVHR and decent install and decent contols and fit a Grant Vortex Pro boiler. A 15-26 will likely be ample
Apart from the brief period when worcester decided to fit the control panel and pcb from the gas boiler to the oil boiler 🤦‍♂️ wtf was that about.
 
pettsy

pettsy

Well-known member
Underfloor becomes more efficient the bigger the area you have. If you're gonba put it extension I'd seriously consider it through the whole ground floor.

I say that when customers are just wanting to do single rooms with ufh. With the work involved with splitting a heating system, you’ve got to make it worthwhile.
 
TiltyShaun

TiltyShaun

Well-known member
As a former garage owner I'm fully aware of our stupid law. Let me make you fully aware of what I think to it:

View attachment 42147

Why do you think I live in the middle of no-where? 😄
Can never see the point in any rules that they are unable to enforce!!! They will ban wet log burning at some point…….ohhhhhh…….apparently they have!!!
 
L

LKSF

Pennine Hillbilly
Can never see the point in any rules that they are unable to enforce!!! They will ban wet log burning at some point…….ohhhhhh…….apparently they have!!!

Same as middle lane hoggers, we'll make it illegal, how many of those were ever caught?
 
Lancs Lad

Lancs Lad

Well-known member
I'm just picking a 19 kg calor propane up 41 quid that's hardly gone up for a few years 🤔🤔 that's a lot less steep increase? Than mains gas?
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
I'm just picking a 19 kg calor propane up 41 quid that's hardly gone up for a few years 🤔🤔 that's a lot less steep increase? Than mains gas?
47kg , last I heard was well over 100 quid :(
 
M

Monkeybusiness

Well-known member
I’ve been fitting and maintaining Grant oil Boilers for 22 years. 100s of em. Nothing wrong with Worcester oil boilers either and we fit 100s of their gas and lpg boilers. There is a new player in town (navien) which is a very established Korean oil boiler which has a 2 stage burn. Still not seen one though. EOGB make the Sapphire which I’m going to go and train on in new year, that has a 10 stage modulation and is pretty much an oil version of a gas boiler.
No idea what they will be like in 10-15 years for parts and back up. If you want an easy life then spend your money on insulation and MVHR and decent install and decent contols and fit a Grant Vortex Pro boiler. A 15-26 will likely be ample
Thread revival!!!
Just had a plumber round to sort out supplying/installing a new boiler (finally!) and he is suggesting we go for the Sapphire modulating boiler. Did you end up doing the course? Any thoughts on them (good and/or bad)?
They aren’t cheap but this guy reckons they are very good - his only criticism is the pumped condensate removal but he installs them on a slightly raised platform to let gravity do its thing.
I’d really value your opinion on this please!
 
Top