JCB 8014 not starting - suddenly. Please help

Goodwill Man

Goodwill Man

Member
Hallo, greetings to all Members

My JCB 8014 (mini digger) was working perfectly for over 2 years. But today I had difficulty to start. After few trials it started. I moved it to place of digging and switched it OFF. Came back after 5 minutes and could not start it again. Turn the key into 2nd position , two red dash lights ON (battery light and one below), beep sound ON, then turn the key into ignition position 3 …. and nothing. Absolutely nothing. If I remember well, before after turning the key into ignition (position 3) I had two amber dash light coming ON (on the right side of the display). Now, nothing. The battery is fully charged (12.8 V). I checked all 5 fused, they are OK. User manual book has no trouble shooting pages. This model has no key pad for security code. I will be very grateful for any suggestions. I am based in Surrey and couldn’t find any local JCB specialist. Thank you for reading.
 
S

Smiffy

Well-known member
Hallo, greetings to all Members

My JCB 8014 (mini digger) was working perfectly for over 2 years. But today I had difficulty to start. After few trials it started. I moved it to place of digging and switched it OFF. Came back after 5 minutes and could not start it again. Turn the key into 2nd position , two red dash lights ON (battery light and one below), beep sound ON, then turn the key into ignition position 3 …. and nothing. Absolutely nothing. If I remember well, before after turning the key into ignition (position 3) I had two amber dash light coming ON (on the right side of the display). Now, nothing. The battery is fully charged (12.8 V). I checked all 5 fused, they are OK. User manual book has no trouble shooting pages. This model has no key pad for security code. I will be very grateful for any suggestions. I am based in Surrey and couldn’t find any local JCB specialist. Thank you for reading.

Try jump starting it. We had one do the same. Multimeter reading a good battery. Played with it for to long so stuck a jump pack on it and fired straight up.
 
hiluxman

hiluxman

Well-known member
So to confirm, it's not even Turing over on the starter motor?

Will assume its a perkins engine.
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
can often have a cell go down in battery -- will show enough voltage on a meter but that is all -- effectively dead, when it comes to providing current ... have had a few do it ... bit of a head scratcher
 
doobin

doobin

Well-known member
Where in Surrey? There’s a few of us around there. It can’t be anything major, you don’t need a jcb specialist.

Firstly, as suggested, try a jump start. Then rule out a dodgy key switch by manually activating the start solenoid- pull the ignition and jump the wires. Having to try a few times to get it to turn over suggests key switch on the way out or corrosion on the start wire somewhere.

Also- nice AT!
 
Goodwill Man

Goodwill Man

Member
Try jump starting it. We had one do the same. Multimeter reading a good battery. Played with it for to long so stuck a jump pack on it and fired straight up.
Tried to jump start today. Nothing. The same problem. Turning the key into ignition position 3... and nothing.
 
Goodwill Man

Goodwill Man

Member
Where in Surrey? There’s a few of us around there. It can’t be anything major, you don’t need a jcb specialist.

Firstly, as suggested, try a jump start. Then rule out a dodgy key switch by manually activating the start solenoid- pull the ignition and jump the wires. Having to try a few times to get it to turn over suggests key switch on the way out or corrosion on the start wire somewhere.

Also- nice AT!
I am in Waysbury TW19 5JF. Good suggestions , I will try later this week.Key Barrel was my suspect, too. I dismatled it and cleaned. I can fix motorcycles , I have Mercedes Star Diagnosis and BMW Ista Icom diagnostic systems, but diggers are not my cup of tea ...
 
Last edited:
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
if it's like my 8015 the starter is an absolute bar steward to get at to try a flash across the terminals ... never know .. the solenoid wire could've come off (remember some one telling me that was a common fault, when I was doing the immobiliser replacement) .. or snapped off.
 
Goodwill Man

Goodwill Man

Member
Thank you to All Members above. I am going away for two weeks. I will investigate the problem after my return. I will report the result. Cheers
 
Goodwill Man

Goodwill Man

Member
Hi,I ordered new ignotion barrel, but two questions before I go. What are these two items on attached photos? One is a relay (I believe) could this effect "no ignition" ? What is the other one?
IMG_1217.jpg

IMG_1218.jpg
 
Mick-the-fitter

Mick-the-fitter

It’s what I do!
Micro relay could be related to starting safety circuit (dead man) buzzer probably ignition on or fault warning (not important usually)
 
doobin

doobin

Well-known member
The relay is very unlikely to be related to not starting (so long as all lights come on and the only fault is that the motor won't turn over). This is because the start signal wire takes the current to the relay attached to the starter motor, so there's no need to have another relay. The only time this isn't true is if there's been an aftermarket immobiliser fitted. I had to remove one from my backhoe that was playing up, I know @V8Druid had a similar thing with his JCB mini.

Before you bother taking the wires off the existing key switch, simply jump the main power (verified by a multimeter) and starter feed wire at the back of the switch- this will let you know in seconds whether the switch is actually at fault.
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
The relay is very unlikely to be related to not starting (so long as all lights come on and the only fault is that the motor won't turn over). This is because the start signal wire takes the current to the relay attached to the starter motor, so there's no need to have another relay. The only time this isn't true is if there's been an aftermarket immobiliser fitted. I had to remove one from my backhoe that was playing up, I know @V8Druid had a similar thing with his JCB mini.

Before you bother taking the wires off the existing key switch, simply jump the main power (verified by a multimeter) and starter feed wire at the back of the switch- this will let you know in seconds whether the switch is actually at fault.
not always Doob ... SD1s had a starter relay on the R/H inner wing behind the turret .. big round black thing, which activated the pre-engage solenoid, which drew a fair current, as do many pre-engage solenoids ;) ... probably got a couple here :giggle:
 
Goodwill Man

Goodwill Man

Member
Hello again. I am still struggling with my JCB mini digger. I tested the starter motor ( by short connect) and it is working OK. The ignition barrel is OK , too. So, I suspected ECU/immobilizer, as there was no voltage to the barrel. I removed the ECU module (not easy job). I looked inside. All looks good, no water damage, no burned parts. Now I need to find someone who can test the unit or repair if faulty. Do you people know anyone? According to the net this part 332/E9912 was replaced with newer 728/E9493. Thanks for your help, so far.
ECU.jpg
 
Top