JCB 801

Mick-the-fitter

Mick-the-fitter

It’s what I do!
The grease idea was just to give an indication of how bad it is, if I remember the slew ring on this machine contains steel balls and nylon spacers, without spacers because they have disintegrated, the steel balls aren’t evenly spaced and so it will rock about, filling it with grease would maybe give a bit more time and usage before having to change the ring, I doubt the slew motor pinion is worn as it drives on the fixed gear of the slew ring!

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
The grease idea was just to give an indication of how bad it is, if I remember the slew ring on this machine contains steel balls and nylon spacers, without spacers because they have disintegrated, the steel balls aren’t evenly spaced and so it will rock about, filling it with grease would maybe give a bit more time and usage before having to change the ring, I doubt the slew motor pinion is worn as it drives on the fixed gear of the slew ring!
which'll be rocking about with the ring gear ..... I'd certainly have a good eyeball of it

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
which'll be rocking about with the ring gear ..... I'd certainly have a good eyeball of it
correction ... the ring gear will be stationary but the pinion'll be rocking about around the ring.

Mick-the-fitter

Mick-the-fitter

It’s what I do!
:)(y) I’m working on the fact it only has a slight bit of wear, are you saying it’s hanging on by the hoses and the rotary joint? Then the pinion will be in mesh sometimes with the good teeth😦