Jb grapples

Storrsy

Storrsy

I’m assuming that the rotators that many add to these grabs (tiger grips etc) would be a bit of weakness? Can you hold a load out horizontally- or is that just going to knacker the rotator?

GazCro

GazCro

How did you do that out of interest? I had the plates added to mine which strengthens it a lot but suppose that might hinder some operations.
One thing tigergrips are not is the lightest grab and thats one of the things to beware of buying one which may actually be undersized.

GazCro

GazCro

I’m assuming that the rotators that many add to these grabs (tiger grips etc) would be a bit of weakness? Can you hold a load out horizontally- or is that just going to knacker the rotator?
If the right rotator is specced they should be ok within reason. My tigergrip on 9 tonner is fixed headstock for this reason i didn't want to add any weakness. Rotate would often be handy but I'll wait until its under a tilty.

Storrsy

Storrsy

That sticker for the swl has got to be the most pointless sticker going
Think the SWL is considered 120kg or something ridiculous for that machine.
If the right rotator is specced they should be ok within reason. My tigergrip on 9 tonner is fixed headstock for this reason i didn't want to add any weakness. Rotate would often be handy but I'll wait until its under a tilty.
that was my thoughts too. Forestry I can see the need for a rotator- but rarely feel the need for it in my line of work.

GazCro

GazCro

Think the SWL is considered 120kg or something ridiculous for that machine.

that was my thoughts too. Forestry I can see the need for a rotator- but rarely feel the need for it in my line of work.
Ultimately for anyone choosing between a thumb/grapple and a proper hyd grab it wouldn't matter and could be added later. Would even up the cost difference a little as well.

CPS

CPS

One thing to note with hardox is that there are different grades I do wonder if some of these companies who have kinda jumped on the bandwagon of using are just using the cheaper grades. As you say it's not something you use to necessarily save weight but to add strength for a given weight.
If it's not Hardox...... It's not Hardox:) there are other brands that claim to be the same quality but there not.

Storrsy

Storrsy

If it's not Hardox...... It's not Hardox:) there are other brands that claim to be the same quality but there not.
I was under the impression that hardox came in different grades 400/500 etc.. not sure how much difference there is though?

GazCro

GazCro

I was under the impression that hardox came in different grades 400/500 etc.. not sure how much difference there is though?
Different grades of hardness. Interestingly you mention earlier the amount of wear on the plates on your grab already, well they clearly aren't the same grade as the cutting edge on my smp grader on 9 tonner. 3 year old bucket and barely any wear on cutting edge at all only very slight rounding on the very ends.

S

Smiffy

Different grades of hardness. Interestingly you mention earlier the amount of wear on the plates on your grab already, well they clearly aren't the same grade as the cutting edge on my smp grader on 9 tonner. 3 year old bucket and barely any wear on cutting edge at all only very slight rounding on the very ends.

Is it a case that the harder it gets the less likely it is to spring back when bent ??

And thinking about it I bent a tine of centre on a strimech muck grab loading log rings into a chipper
Or atleast the tine didn't bend but the box section it was welded into buckled
Whereas two grapples I've use the actual tines where bent and twisted to the point they rub on another tine when opening and closing
The others I've used where just slight kink in them or one tine not lining up

Depending on the work your doing rsl do a grapple but selector grab style arms rather than tines
And they do a half bucket half grab thing aswell which is advertised as being stronger

CPS

CPS

I was meaning "brands" rather than grades etc..... Hardox 400 is a lot better than some other brands of 400 i have seen

Bri963

Bri963

It’s either 400 hardness or it isn’t, doesn’t matter where it comes from (apart from China, obviously). I know Earthmovers (the mag) get excited about Hardox, but there’s a lot of good buckets not made out of it. A bad welding procedure will take the hardness out of Hardox as well as any equivalent, so for a lot of jobs, unless you’ve access to a post-heat oven there’s no point paying the Hardox premium, which is considerable.

Last edited:
Giles

Giles

Will report back after a bit of use

Attachments

• A5959DF3-789F-4657-BAD6-EB2B0B4FB47E.jpeg
    A5959DF3-789F-4657-BAD6-EB2B0B4FB47E.jpeg
    355.8 KB · Views: 85