Hydraulic oil grades

Quattromike

Quattromike

Well member-known
Will need to top up my machine with hydraulic oil. I've not had her all that long and this will be the first time. Normally I would use HPX 32, but just thinking about it does anyone use 46 during the summer on a Midi machine? And would it matter if it was mixed 32/46?

Thomas7740

Thomas7740

We use 46 in both our EX30 and EX60, all year round. Not sure on the reason why but I have noticed on our machines and others that 46 won’t leak as much as the thinner 32

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
just make sure it's mineral oil in there and not bio ;) ..... or you will put the cat among the proverbial/metaphorical pigeons, if you've a tank full of bio :eek::eek:

My 'Drema has run Fuchs Plantohyd 40N all its life and I am very careful not to contaminate it with any mineral .... 2% max contamination allowable ... any new att. that I acquire gets a serious draining and cleaning out , as best as I can ..... 2% of a 180 litre tank, plus whatever is sat in the system, is not a lot :eek::(

wee_gus

wee_gus

The price of hydraulic is not that expensive I could do you 25ltr for £30+vat or 200ltr for £220+vat

Quattromike

Quattromike

Well member-known
Ok, the next question is how do you determine what is already in the tank or do you just do an oil change to make sure?

V8Druid

V8Druid

The price of hydraulic is not that expensive I could do you 25ltr for £30+vat or 200ltr for £220+vat
I thought that under the European lifting directive, 25 litre drums had been banned Gus? too heavy for manual single handed lift/carry ??

can only get 20 litre drums round here ... last couple I picked up, a few weeks ago were £22.45 ea, plus VAT for 46 grade ... very close, per litre, to yours and a good price.

1536568981882.png

V8Druid

V8Druid

Ok, the next question is how do you determine what is already in the tank or do you just do an oil change to make sure?

good question .... sampling usually needs to know what it is to start with :( ... the Plantohyd 40N has a very distinctive smell to it and is 'stickier' than mineral ... took me a while to find out what was in the 'Drema and was lucky enough to be able to make contact with the original owner, previous to the guy I had it off.
I knew it was on bio when I bought it ..... just not which bio?:(

Last edited:
wee_gus

wee_gus

I thought that under the European lifting directive, 25 litre drums had been banned Gus? too heavy for manual single handed lift/carry ??

can only get 20 litre drums round here ... last couple I picked up, a few weeks ago were £22.45 ea, plus VAT for 46 grade ... very close, per litre, to yours and a good price.

View attachment 1248
Hi Druid, nope they are most definitely 25L (y)(y) I had to double check and make sure I’ve not been misleading customers but drums state 25L

There is a lot of brands out there. I find it’s best to stick with a knowen brand.
End of the day you want to know what your putting in your machine.
All lubricants I supply are from a UK manufacturer

V8Druid

V8Druid

Hi Druid, nope they are most definitely 25L (y)(y) I had to double check and make sure I’ve not been misleading customers but drums state 25L

There is a lot of brands out there. I find it’s best to stick with a knowen brand.

LOL :LOL:

Totally agree Gus .... there's some crap about, out there :(
this is Morris's, in their own brand cans, filled for them (y) ... virgin oil, none of yer blended, recycled sh1t :eek:

Quattromike

Quattromike

Well member-known

I'm sure the last few drums we got in had changed to 20L. Wasn't hydraulic oil but previous drums from the same producer of the same product were 25L just a couple of months ago.

V8Druid

V8Druid

I'm sure the last few drums we got in had changed to 20L. Wasn't hydraulic oil but previous drums from the same producer of the same product were 25L just a couple of months ago.

been 20s round here for years .... only thing I've had in 25s, in the last 10 years has been paint and then only bituminous or mid Brunswick Green in screw tops .... grey/red/black oxides all came in 20 ltr pails .... used to be 25s though :rolleyes:

Quattromike

Quattromike

Well member-known
Ok. I think I've spotted a leak on me machine. Gave her a good blast with the steam hose on Sunday afternoon and she came up nice and clean. Only to notice tonight a small gathering of oil just below the oil cooler next to the radiator. Any common leak problems on DX80r ? The hoses coming and going from the oil cooler are dry but there is a slight drop drom the bottom corner of the frame which must be coming from the cooler. :cry:

wee_gus

wee_gus

Ok. I think I've spotted a leak on me machine. Gave her a good blast with the steam hose on Sunday afternoon and she came up nice and clean. Only to notice tonight a small gathering of oil just below the oil cooler next to the radiator. Any common leak problems on DX80r ? The hoses coming and going from the oil cooler are dry but there is a slight drop drom the bottom corner of the frame which must be coming from the cooler. :cry:
That’s nae good, I’ve heard of tanks cracking on the doosans, don’t do much with them myself..

Quattromike

Quattromike

Well member-known
It's definitely not the tank, it's not the hydraulic pipes. It can only be the bottom of oil cooler or oil sitting from a previous leak that is only showing up now that I've steam hosed her out. Either way I'll need to investigate further. The cooler looks to be two elements flanged together top and bottom. I'm thinking it could the bottom flange gasket, anyone else had issues with leaks in this area?

Quattromike

Quattromike

Well member-known
IMG_20180911_070745.jpg
IMG_20180911_070724.jpg

Seems to be coming from the frame of the oil cooler/radiator next to the bolt in the pic.

Mark

Mark

Will be the oil cooler cracked bud, We’ve got a bobcat e80, there the exact same machine come down the same production line. Ours went a year or so after buying it. Apparently there is a service letter out for them.

Quattromike

Quattromike

Well member-known
Will be the oil cooler cracked bud, We’ve got a bobcat e80, there the exact same machine come down the same production line. Ours went a year or so after buying it. Apparently there is a service letter out for them.
:cry::cry:😭 are they fixable or is it a replacement jobbie?

V8Druid

V8Druid

hopefully if it's a recall it might get put right at their cost Mike ..... sounds like it'd be worth looking into

Mark

Mark

Best just replacing it, welding them never seems to last with the vibration that go’s through the machine. What year is your machine? Ours was a 2013.

Quattromike

Quattromike

Well member-known
Best just replacing it, welding them never seems to last with the vibration that go’s through the machine. What year is your machine? Ours was a 2013.
It's a 2011. Going off it more and more every week 😭