Hydraulic oil- cheap vs big brand?

doobin

doobin

Well-known member
For instance, Fuchs or the cheapest brand from the local agri supply place or Crown Oil?

Is cheap hydraulic oil a flase economy even if changed on the nail?
 
Storrsy

Storrsy

Well-known member
For instance, Fuchs or the cheapest brand from the local agri supply place or Crown Oil?

Is cheap hydraulic oil a flase economy even if changed on the nail?
I don't know the answer but always just used non branded stuff from local hydraulics and never had reason to question it.
 
doobin

doobin

Well-known member
Prices:

Crown Oil (who knows?)- £283 plus vat
Farols (lubricants direct) - £375 plus vat
Millers Milimax- £320 plus vat
Fuchs Renolin- £395 plus vat

Crown oil is very cheap, website says it meets the following specs

  • DIN 51524 Part 2 (HLP)
  • Sperry Vickers 1-286-S
  • ISO 6743/4 (HM)
  • Afnor NF E 48-603 (HM)
  • Denison TP 02100
  • ISO 11158 (HM)
  • VDMA 24318
  • US Steel 126,127
 
pettsy

pettsy

Well-known member
Last hydraulic oil I got was from westway lubricants iirc as it was quick delivery.
 
Lancs Lad

Lancs Lad

Well-known member
Prices:

Crown Oil (who knows?)- £283 plus vat
Farols (lubricants direct) - £375 plus vat
Millers Milimax- £320 plus vat
Fuchs Renolin- £395 plus vat

Crown oil is very cheap, website says it meets the following specs

  • DIN 51524 Part 2 (HLP)
  • Sperry Vickers 1-286-S
  • ISO 6743/4 (HM)
  • Afnor NF E 48-603 (HM)
  • Denison TP 02100
  • ISO 11158 (HM)
  • VDMA 24318
  • US Steel 126,127
Did you price mannol? They were dirt cheap on engine oil. Caused a stink by claiming some of the big brands were cutting corners and their oil didn't meet the spec it says on the tin. Proper rumpus
Certain brand then counter claimed that mannol is a workaround of russian sanctions. Proper old Barney 😂
 
6

6feetdown

Well-known member
Prices:

Crown Oil (who knows?)- £283 plus vat
Farols (lubricants direct) - £375 plus vat
Millers Milimax- £320 plus vat
Fuchs Renolin- £395 plus vat

Crown oil is very cheap, website says it meets the following specs

  • DIN 51524 Part 2 (HLP)
  • Sperry Vickers 1-286-S
  • ISO 6743/4 (HM)
  • Afnor NF E 48-603 (HM)
  • Denison TP 02100
  • ISO 11158 (HM)
  • VDMA 24318
  • US Steel 126,127
What quantity is that for?
 
Furniss

Furniss

Well-known member
Yeah I just bought some couple of days ago - asked bloke at local place what other firms with plant buy and he offered this, but who knows what's best 🤷‍♂️

1000013937.jpg


Meets a couple of norms listed on yours @doobin but with different letters afterwards.

It's in anyhow 🤦‍♂️
 
D

DaveDCB

Well-known member
So long as you can sue the company your buying from if it’s duff oil I wouldn’t worry…. Heard of a lad who filled machine with bio oil - specced by supplier and it ruined his machine! Can’t remember the full outcome but it was messy!!
Was on a 14ton machine*
 
Last edited:
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
So long as you can sue the company your buying from if it’s duff oil I wouldn’t worry…. Heard of a lad who filled machine with bio oil - specced by supplier and it ruined his machine! Can’t remember the full outcome but it was messy!!
Was on a 14ton machine*
well if it wasn't originally on bio and he didn't do a major/full purge of the mineral, it's hardly surprising .. they don't mix well ... 's why I'm 'anal' about purging any new att.s on the 'Drema .. Fuchs Plantohyd in her and 2% contamination is enough to cause issues -- 2% of 180 litres isn't a lot
last 205 was over 500 quid + +
 
D

DaveDCB

Well-known member
is lrt lubricants a forum visitor still?
I’ve had abit of them before, forgot about them until I saw a email in my junk box this evening!
 
M

Monkeybusiness

Well-known member
I’ve just had a mixed 25l drum pallet of oil from Crown - all looks/tastes/smells fine and their drums are really good with a built in pouring vent so they don’t ‘glug’. The hydraulic 46 was £29.50 a drum (ie £241.90 for 205l) fyi.
 
M

Monkeybusiness

Well-known member
What other stuff do they do?
All sorts - I needed chain oil but made up a pallet including hydraulic, utto, 5w30 (vw spec) and a load of grease cartridges. I think they do just about anything oil based tbh.
They were cheaper than GB Oils (who I was about to order off when these guys cold-called me).
 
R

Rob65

Well-known member
I’ve used Pennine Lubricants a lot. They are based in Sheffield but can arrange delivery nationwide.

They sell anything you might need in quantities from 1 litre up to 1000 litre IBC.

No idea how they might compare with other suppliers on cost but the quality and service has always been good.
 
doobin

doobin

Well-known member
All sorts - I needed chain oil but made up a pallet including hydraulic, utto, 5w30 (vw spec) and a load of grease cartridges. I think they do just about anything oil based tbh.
They were cheaper than GB Oils (who I was about to order off when these guys cold-called me).
How much did you buy for that price?
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
Well f**k Crown Oil

Clearly doesn't get the concept of giving a good price first time..

I've gone with Fuchs from LTR lubricants.
View attachment 70933
treat 'em hard .... and make sure they know why they didn't get the sale ..... used to be the same with all my suppliers .. " give me your best price, first bite at the cherry - there won't be a second chance " was always my M.O. with 'em .. they learnt to be as competitive as possible, quickly (y)
 
Top