How many people actually wanted to drive machines?

Richard Hunton

Richard Hunton

Well-known member
As per just as a daft one how many people on here actually grew up wanting to be involved with machines and if not what would you do.....
20180331_204613.jpg


It's been in my blood from day 1
 
Furniss

Furniss

Well-known member
I wanted to race bikes ...... had a go did o.k but it wasnt going to happen so looked around at my mates to see who was doing alright and a mate with a stone yard and another with a few machines were the ones who seemed to have a few quid in their pockets - so got a job with a local land drainage/plant hire firm to learn the job.
 
diggerjones

diggerjones

Well-known member
Obviously my first choice was pawn star but also liked tractors and machinery. Farm I worked on had old 3c then in the 80s
I wanted to be a farmer and spent alot of my time on a farm when I was young. Turns out you need a farm to be a farmer. Now j just like anything with an engine and a seat 😁
Sounds like my life story😁
 
Storrsy

Storrsy

Well-known member
My favourite toy as a young ‘Un was a rubber duck, and I had a massive pile of rocks to play with instead of a set of swings. So yeah in a roundabout way I alway wanted to be involved in with rocks and dirt in some way. Aim high aim high!
 
Gunners

Gunners

Well-known member
Yep, literally from as young as I can remember, I wanted to drive diggers and have my own company. I even own my dream car. Bit sad, really - obviously had very low expectations as a kid - or hard work pays off..... or whatever!

Bit biased asking a forum of plant guys if they wanted to do this all their lives. We are obviously all into plant, we like talking about it outside of work to people we have never met - via the internet 😆

Obligatory old photo of a younger me stood on the bonnet of some old plant attached!
 

Attachments

  • CCI06022016.jpg
    CCI06022016.jpg
    275.9 KB · Views: 269
Richard Hunton

Richard Hunton

Well-known member
Yep, literally from as young as I can remember, I wanted to drive diggers and have my own company. I even own my dream car. Bit sad, really - obviously had very low expectations as a kid - or hard work pays off..... or whatever!

Bit biased asking a forum of plant guys if they wanted to do this all their lives. We are obviously all into plant, we like talking about it outside of work to people we have never met - via the internet 😆

Obligatory old photo of a younger me stood on the bonnet of some old plant attached!

Out of interest what was the dream car
 
Nick...

Nick...

Well-known member
Was born and raised on a farm and bought a580b case and started doing the odd job.it progressed and started doing site work in 1986 and still at it.in that time I’ve had a Ford 555,case 590sle,cat432e,case 590t,case cx15,2 x ec15bxtv volvo,ec18 volvo and currently an ecr25d.still running farm aswell and most people think I’m mad as I do every myself.
nick...
 
JimboCX

JimboCX

Well-known member
I grew up on a farm and my father had a few diggers out And about sites. I always enjoyed driving the diggers at the weekends and summer holidays. So I spose I was always goin to end up somewhere machinery related. At one stage at school I thought a mechanic might be a good career. So for school work experience I applied to the local Valtra dealer Who my father had a good relationship with from buying valtra tractors and Isuzu jeeps. All was set and I was ready to go. But the day before I was due to start it Daddy was short for a tractor driver at a job he was working on and I decided to go there instead. Don’t think I ever went back to school after that. And I currently have absolutely no GCSE’s. And can truthfully say I have never sat an exam in my life. I don’t think my mechanic career would have took off anyway as I have no patience when anything breaks. I can see abit of a younger me in my middle son at the minute. He’s very interested in machines and wants to come with me at every opertunity he gets. But then HSE put a stop to that last year. 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️
 
R

Russell

Well-known member
Always wanted to be a digger driver, used to stand at the fence and watch them when I was a little boy. I didn't start straight away and really have only just started. I thought and was told I'll never make any money at it. That maybe the case but I don't care, I'm loving going to do a job I enjoy and have interest in rather than what just what pays wages and nothing else.
 
Last edited:
S

Smiffy

Well-known member
I just like playing in the mud
But despite having tits apparently them being hairy disqualifys me from professional mud wrestling so farm and site work was the next most glamorous option and machines are more fun that a shovel
 
Gunners

Gunners

Well-known member
Out of interest what was the dream car
This. Laugh all you like haters but I love this landy and will never sell it. Some people had Ferrari posters on their bedroom walls, I had Landrovers and those people with the Ferrari posters are still waiting to own their dream car - I've already got mine. Always wanted one, got a series 3 for my 14th birthday, restored it so I could drive it when I was 17. Used the series 3 to work my ass off landscaping so I could afford a better more reliable landrover (yes you heard right, if you think Defenders are bad, try series vehicles) Traded it up a few years later for this late 300tdi 90 and I've owned it for 15 years now and counting.
Here she is high up in the mountains of Bosnia. I drove her round Europe a few years ago. I was younger then! It was a long way at 60mph...
 

Attachments

  • DSC_0847.JPG
    DSC_0847.JPG
    135.9 KB · Views: 191
B

Brendan

Well-known member
This. Laugh all you like haters but I love this landy and will never sell it. Some people had Ferrari posters on their bedroom walls, I had Landrovers and those people with the Ferrari posters are still waiting to own their dream car - I've already got mine. Always wanted one, got a series 3 for my 14th birthday, restored it so I could drive it when I was 17. Used the series 3 to work my ass off landscaping so I could afford a better more reliable landrover (yes you heard right, if you think Defenders are bad, try series vehicles) Traded it up a few years later for this late 300tdi 90 and I've owned it for 15 years now and counting.
Here she is high up in the mountains of Bosnia. I drove her round Europe a few years ago. I was younger then! It was a long way at 60mph...
Anyone who can drive a defender, for hours nonstop deserves a 🏅😂
To be honest I've never been much of a supercar fan either
 
Top