Home boiler issues 😭

Quattromike

Quattromike

Well member-known
Came home last night after work and the house was cold, check the thermostat and it was calling for heat, checked the boiler and it was on lock out so pushed the button on the burner rest, it tried to fire but didn't, checked the oil supply to the boiler (I have run out before 😬) and ample oils getting to the boiler tried bleeding but still no go and didn't seem like there was alot of pressure when I was bleeding. So decided to take the side off the pump and have a look and turns out the pump drive had worn the key and wasn't turning the gear so wasn't pumping. I fashioned a drive key from an old Allen key and got it going again. Is it easy to get a new pump for the boiler or what do I need to change.
It's a grant vortex eco boiler out in the garage.
 
S

Stroppymonkey

Well-known member
Came home last night after work and the house was cold, check the thermostat and it was calling for heat, checked the boiler and it was on lock out so pushed the button on the burner rest, it tried to fire but didn't, checked the oil supply to the boiler (I have run out before 😬) and ample oils getting to the boiler tried bleeding but still no go and didn't seem like there was alot of pressure when I was bleeding. So decided to take the side off the pump and have a look and turns out the pump drive had worn the key and wasn't turning the gear so wasn't pumping. I fashioned a drive key from an old Allen key and got it going again. Is it easy to get a new pump for the boiler or what do I need to change.
It's a grant vortex eco boiler out in the garage.
Good skill. RDB pumps are notoriously weak. I would advise getting one on standby .
I personally have never bothered changing the key as I can’t warranty the repair . It might be fine forever , it might fail tomorrow…
You will need a pressure gauge and manifold to set the new pump and a flue gas analyser to set the combustion.. usually I’ll put a new nozzle in if fitting a new pump .
 

Attachments

  • IMG_5810.png
    IMG_5810.png
    204.1 KB · Views: 90
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
Good skill. RDB pumps are notoriously weak. I would advise getting one on standby .
I personally have never bothered changing the key as I can’t warranty the repair . It might be fine forever , it might fail tomorrow…
You will need a pressure gauge and manifold to set the new pump and a flue gas analyser to set the combustion.. usually I’ll put a new nozzle in if fitting a new pump .
new in the box ... in me spares box, ready for when .............. :rolleyes:
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
Came home last night after work and the house was cold, check the thermostat and it was calling for heat, checked the boiler and it was on lock out so pushed the button on the burner rest, it tried to fire but didn't, checked the oil supply to the boiler (I have run out before 😬) and ample oils getting to the boiler tried bleeding but still no go and didn't seem like there was alot of pressure when I was bleeding. So decided to take the side off the pump and have a look and turns out the pump drive had worn the key and wasn't turning the gear so wasn't pumping. I fashioned a drive key from an old Allen key and got it going again. Is it easy to get a new pump for the boiler or what do I need to change.
It's a grant vortex eco boiler out in the garage.
:cool::cool: not much that can't be achieved if yer's determined enough ;):giggle:
 
Quattromike

Quattromike

Well member-known
Good skill. RDB pumps are notoriously weak. I would advise getting one on standby .
I personally have never bothered changing the key as I can’t warranty the repair . It might be fine forever , it might fail tomorrow…
You will need a pressure gauge and manifold to set the new pump and a flue gas analyser to set the combustion.. usually I’ll put a new nozzle in if fitting a new pump .
Where do I find what nozzle I need to get
 
S

Stroppymonkey

Well-known member
Where do I find what nozzle I need to get
Should be in the boiler manual.. but if you cant measure the pump pressure and the flue gasses then probably just leave it alone.. You tread a fine line between it being inefficient/blowing itself out/burning the baffles or sooting itself into a horrible awful shitty mess.
 
Lancs Lad

Lancs Lad

Well-known member
Not home...but work.
Valiant playing up . Doing my head in. Every morning I have to reset it and she's away. Had new fan and sensors etc last 12 months.
In my head it's a "new boiler" ...went in 09-10 so maybe not so new ..
Is it time to bin it?
 
S

Stroppymonkey

Well-known member
Not home...but work.
Valiant playing up . Doing my head in. Every morning I have to reset it and she's away. Had new fan and sensors etc last 12 months.
In my head it's a "new boiler" ...went in 09-10 so maybe not so new ..
Is it time to bin it?
16 year old gas boiler...its ancient f**k it off and put a nice new Worc Bosch in. If its a smallish system then for for a 4000 with 10 year guarantee, or an 8000 (better boiler) with 12 years guarantee depending on your system. Would you spend money on keeping a 16 year old van on the road?
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
Not home...but work.
Valiant playing up . Doing my head in. Every morning I have to reset it and she's away. Had new fan and sensors etc last 12 months.
In my head it's a "new boiler" ...went in 09-10 so maybe not so new ..
Is it time to bin it?
no way .... assume it's locking out? otherwise performing fine ? sounds just like the issues I was having .. changed control box and (touch wood / 🤞🤞🤞), is performing as it always has
my control box developed a temp sensitive issue - presumably a component breaking down once hot ... ran fine once it had cooled a bit and been reset ... 'til it got hot again .... worth a try
 
S

Stroppymonkey

Well-known member
no way .... assume it's locking out? otherwise performing fine ? sounds just like the issues I was having .. changed control box and (touch wood / 🤞🤞🤞), is performing as it always has
my control box developed a temp sensitive issue - presumably a component breaking down once hot ... ran fine once it had cooled a bit and been reset ... 'til it got hot again .... worth a try
Vaillant is gas. No one should be meddling with that unless Gas Safe registered......
 
Lancs Lad

Lancs Lad

Well-known member
16 year old gas boiler...its ancient f**k it off and put a nice new Worc Bosch in. If its a smallish system then for for a 4000 with 10 year guarantee, or an 8000 (better boiler) with 12 years guarantee depending on your system. Would you spend money on keeping a 16 year old van on the road?
That's that then 👍🏻
TBF it's lot smaller as we ripped all upstairs rads out years ago.
Only doing HW and 9 rads
 
Top