Hi fi

Vinpetrol

Vinpetrol

Well-known member
I’ve always loved music and always had a decent hifi system to play it on at home . in the last 20 years I moved away from stack systems as I was swooned by streaming music from my phone to devices. I’ve ended up with a Bose 500 sound bar and a Bose bass speaker . Also a Bose home hub .
The thing is despite the handiness of the streaming I’ve gotten fed up with disconnection issues and update issues and just things going wrong with my Bose speakers .
I used to have separate systems in the past with brilliant clarity and powerful passive speakers and they never ever went wrong .
I want to go back to this type of system in my new house when I move in but I’m a bit out of touch and wondered if anyone has any experience .
I used to have amps by pioneer , technics , Cambridge audio etc and speakers were if I could afford them wharfedales.
From memory though the bigger the speaker the better the bass sound so my dilemmas are if I go for separates can I get a separates unit to add to an amp that I can stream music to?
Are passive speakers still a good viable option ?
Can you get any decent sound from ceiling speakers or is the direction all wrong .
Any recommendations ?
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
NAD 3020 and either AR3,s or Rogers studio monitors (I ran a pair of each and two 3020s for an awesome sound), fed by whatever ;) :giggle:

been sat in the attic for years - not allowed to play with them :(
 
kabin man

kabin man

Well-known member
NAD 3020 and either AR3,s or Rogers studio monitors (I ran a pair of each and two 3020s for an awesome sound), fed by whatever ;) :giggle:

been sat in the attic for years - not allowed to play with them :(
same here. NAD 3020i, was plenty good enough..
AR speakers and Rega planar turn table..
Memories:D
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
same here. NAD 3020i, was plenty good enough..
AR speakers and Rega planar turn table..
Memories:D
they were/are a bloody good amp - punch way above their ratings into good quality cones (y)
can't recall the name of the turntables I had but were very decent units
and a Philips CD104 CD deck, that was big money in its day, (and still make good money S/hand), but a seriously nice unit
 
Last edited:
Vinpetrol

Vinpetrol

Well-known member
NAD 3020 and either AR3,s or Rogers studio monitors (I ran a pair of each and two 3020s for an awesome sound), fed by whatever ;) :giggle:

been sat in the attic for years - not allowed to play with them :(
I need to look into NAD not heart of that one .
What’s verdict on speakers ? Where the bigger old ones better than todays offerings ?
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
I need to look into NAD not heart of that one .
What’s verdict on speakers ? Where the bigger old ones better than todays offerings ?
the Rogers studio monitors were 'proper' speakers (with a price tag to match) .. ditto the Acoustic Research 3,s
the NAD 3020,s were remarkable for their price and stood up well against very big names costing thousands
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
NAD have been around for years and have a good name.
When other brands were adding bling and glitz, NAD's approach was elegent simplicity - everything you need and nothing you don't.
bought mine in '81 ... had been around several years at that point .... as said no bling, just great gear
1740412180587.png
1740412216686.png



IIRC mine were about 120 quid each when new ...

speakers were a lot more and still highly respected


 
Top