Hello Plant operators

P

Pod

New member
I bought a Kubota mini KX61 - I think the year of manufacture is about 1999, Engine is 3 cylinder D1105 1.123
Oil pressure is very poor, there is also a blow through the rocker cover
I would like to change the engine for same model from a refrigerated truck, I wonder has anybody done this & what are the snags?
Reg Pod
 
Last edited:
Regy53

Regy53

I like cake
I cant see any snags myself. A D1105 is a D1105

Welcome to the forum btw
 
T whiting

T whiting

Well-known member
The only downside I could see is that the engine on a fridge truck will be quite high houred. But then again it will have had a easy life compared to being on a micro
 
R

Rob65

Well-known member
I don’t know about Kubota engines specifically but I do know that Yanmar engines that are spec’d for constant speed applications have a different injector pump / governor and it’s expensive to convert them to manual throttle
 
P

Pod

New member
Thanks for replies - could be cheaper in long run to address oil pressure issue, jury's out on this one
 
Canal Navvy

Canal Navvy

Well-known member
I was once told that the Kubotas on fridges had different liners and rings and didn't cope with idling well, not sure if I believe it though.

Recently bought a keel cooled marine generator fitted with a D1105 and was told that Kubota take a yearly order and build to suit the application, mine came out of
the Kubota factory without a flywheel and exhaust manifold ;)
 
S

Smiffy

Well-known member
I was once told that the Kubotas on fridges had different liners and rings and didn't cope with idling well, not sure if I believe it though.

Recently bought a keel cooled marine generator fitted with a D1105 and was told that Kubota take a yearly order and build to suit the application, mine came out of
the Kubota factory without a flywheel and exhaust manifold ;)

Surely fridge engines do nothing but idle ??
 
Shovelhands

Shovelhands

Well-known member
Surely fridge engines do nothing but idle ??
I think they might be reviving a bit harder than you imagine? But I suppose fixed revs, even at higher speeds is just like idling, especially when the load isn’t that high or variable enough?
 
S

Smiffy

Well-known member
I think they might be reviving a bit harder than you imagine? But I suppose fixed revs, even at higher speeds is just like idling, especially when the load isn’t that high or variable enough?

That's what I always thought.
I was taught engines are either designed for variable speeds like a road going vehicle.
Or set speeds like excavator engines.
And an engine to run one way doesn't tolerate being run the other
 
Shovelhands

Shovelhands

Well-known member
That's what I always thought.
I was taught engines are either designed for variable speeds like a road going vehicle.
Or set speeds like excavator engines.
And an engine to run one way doesn't tolerate being run the other
Possibly, but even an excavator engine running all day at full revs is subject to variable load.
 
GazCro

GazCro

Well-known member
I think they might be reviving a bit harder than you imagine? But I suppose fixed revs, even at higher speeds is just like idling, especially when the load isn’t that high or variable enough?
Industrial engines are sized according to the load whatever fitted to so they can run at optimum revs for fuel economy emissions etc. You're right i bet it's surprising to many how hard a fridge unit will be revving.
Either way there will be something different on engine number to denote application if there is a difference even if it's only one number or letter different.
Or at least you would think so...
 
Furniss

Furniss

Well-known member
I bought a Kubota mini - I think the year of manufacture is about 1999, Engine is 3 cylinder D1105 1.123
Oil pressure is very poor, there is also a blow through the rocker cover
I would like to change the engine for same model from a refrigerated truck, I wonder has anybody done this & what are the snags?
Reg Pod
You need to speak to mogman 😁
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
I think they might be reviving a bit harder than you imagine? But I suppose fixed revs, even at higher speeds is just like idling, especially when the load isn’t that high or variable enough?
usually revving their nuts off on a fridge box ... and do so from cold on start up :oops: ..... noisy lil' sods - dunno how anyone can 'overnight' in a cab under one :(:rolleyes:
 
jd6820

jd6820

Well-known member
I bought a Kubota mini KX61 - I think the year of manufacture is about 1999, Engine is 3 cylinder D1105 1.123
Oil pressure is very poor, there is also a blow through the rocker cover
I would like to change the engine for same model from a refrigerated truck, I wonder has anybody done this & what are the snags?
Reg Pod
Loads of snags I can think of. Mainly spec variations that could give you a headache. I personally wouldn't bother as I highly doubt the fridge motor will match many of your original engine specs. All parts from each engine probably swappable but new units ain't that expensive and parts are the opposite and cost a fortune. Try pricing a new unit first and then diagnose the oil pressure issue if it isn't the usual faulty oil pressure switch?
 
Top