Hello diggerers

B

Brendan

Well-known member
It's a tough one, the work I'm doing now is more suited to micro, but I'm getting digger and operator work that warrants the use of larger machines. Is it more profitable to seek out the work that requires a larger machine?

Landscaping projects are my bread and butter, but I love going off for a day or two and getting paid on a day rate - much less stressful.
Rates are disproportional to the costs, you could get a larger machine and go on operated hire but rates can be similar to micro and dumper which is a lower outlay
 
T whiting

T whiting

Well-known member
In your situation I'd buy a bobcat E10 nearly as small as a micro but nearly the power of a 1.5t and a lot nicer to operate if you find you can't get it in or you need something bigger you can always hire in what you need
 
GazCro

GazCro

Well-known member
It's a tough one, the work I'm doing now is more suited to micro, but I'm getting digger and operator work that warrants the use of larger machines. Is it more profitable to seek out the work that requires a larger machine?

Landscaping projects are my bread and butter, but I love going off for a day or two and getting paid on a day rate - much less stressful.
Realistically there's nowt in it between rates on smaller machines, but the smaller the machine the lower the running costs. Its ok saying you enjoy a few days on a day rate but it might be different if it was week in week out.
 
M

Maxus

Well-known member
I think realistically I need a micro and have to accept it's limitations, I know driving a 2T machine with a Roto tilt is pretty cool but it's not really going to fit in with how I'm set up.

I'm towing a Tipper Trailer with a 4x4 and don't fancy a 2T machine on the back especially with some of the hills around where I am.

So U10 good but a bit wide
Bobcat e10 is the obvious choice

I'm also intrigued by the jcb8010 it's 700mm wide and by far, on paper, the most powerful. But more expensive and more basic.

Has anyone had experience with any of these machines? I've been driving a jcb8008, which was ok for me. The takeuchi micro I drove was awful but I was a very old machine, painfully slow.
 
hiluxman

hiluxman

Well-known member
How much is the jcb 8010?
Was around 19k inc vat last time I asked. They are factory order. The 8008 is ten a penny and loved by big hire firms and cheap compared to the 8010.

Nearly 2500 hours on my current one now. Think the e10 is about 1500 hours and the dx10 about 500.
 
B

Brendan

Well-known member
Was around 19k inc vat last time I asked. They are factory order. The 8008 is ten a penny and loved by big hire firms and cheap compared to the 8010.

Nearly 2500 hours on my current one now. Think the e10 is about 1500 hours and the dx10 about 500.
Do you still rate the 8010 better than the bobcats?
 
M

Maxus

Well-known member
Was around 19k inc vat last time I asked. They are factory order. The 8008 is ten a penny and loved by big hire firms and cheap compared to the 8010.

Nearly 2500 hours on my current one now. Think the e10 is about 1500 hours and the dx10 about 500.
So the $50,000 question.... e10 or 8010!?
 
hiluxman

hiluxman

Well-known member
So the $50,000 question.... e10 or 8010!?
I've got both. 🤪

The price difference was vast from the 8010 to the e10 at the time which made a big choice in going for the e10. If they were the same price I'd be having another 8010 and you just dig to suit that you've not got zts.
 
M

Monkeybusiness

Well-known member
I've got both. 🤪

The price difference was vast from the 8010 to the e10 at the time which made a big choice in going for the e10. If they were the same price I'd be having another 8010 and you just dig to suit that you've not got zts.
So E10 then!!! (If that’s what you bought whilst already owning an 8010)...
 
M

Maxus

Well-known member
So fair to say 8010 is a better machine, but not 5k better? Has there been reliability issues with either?
 
B

Brendan

Well-known member
One thing to bear in mind would be the e10/dx10 has gone up 2k in the last couple of years. At Jcb mrrp there is 2k in the difference but this could well be 1k if dealers are selling for a lower amount
 
hiluxman

hiluxman

Well-known member
So fair to say 8010 is a better machine, but not 5k better? Has there been reliability issues with either?
Yes, exactly that 5k was inc vat and that was a few years ago now when I priced a new 8010

2 batteries on the current 8010 and a starter.
E10 has had a few blown hoses. And king pin drop out.
Dx10 has had new fuel pump solenoid.
 
hiluxman

hiluxman

Well-known member
One thing to bear in mind would be the e10/dx10 has gone up 2k in the last couple of years. At Jcb mrrp there is 2k in the difference but this could well be 1k if dealers are selling for a lower amount
Half the issue is that no one stocks the 8010 so are factory order.
 
GazCro

GazCro

Well-known member
Half the issue is that no one stocks the 8010 so are factory order.
See i can understand why this would matter to a hire company who aren't really bothered what they are buying. But for an owner op or small business I'd rather buy the machine i actually want. Tbh at the mo most machines are nigh on factory order lead times anyway.
 
hiluxman

hiluxman

Well-known member
See i can understand why this would matter to a hire company who aren't really bothered what they are buying. But for an owner op or small business I'd rather buy the machine i actually want. Tbh at the mo most machines are nigh on factory order lead times anyway.
At the time it was factory order and as said 5k more than an e10 and good bit more than an 8008. This was before covid had even been invented.
 
Top