Hello diggerers

M

Maxus

Well-known member
Hi Everyone,

I'm scouring the deepest, darkest recesses of the internet trying to find information on what digger i should buy. And here I am!

I'm a sole trader landscaping, and have been for the last 10 years. It's been a steady progression from weeding old ladies cat s**t laden flower beds, to completely remodelling gardens.

I'm at the stage where it now makes more sense to buy a digger as opposed to hiring in. Machine operation and groundworks is appealing to me so I'm glad to have stumbled upon this forum. Very interesting.

I've learnt quite a bit reading through some of the threads over the last couple days, I appreciate the effort that goes into writing them and thank you all who make useful contributions.
 
B

Brendan

Well-known member
Hi Everyone,

I'm scouring the deepest, darkest recesses of the internet trying to find information on what digger i should buy. And here I am!

I'm a sole trader landscaping, and have been for the last 10 years. It's been a steady progression from weeding old ladies cat s**t laden flower beds, to completely remodelling gardens.

I'm at the stage where it now makes more sense to buy a digger as opposed to hiring in. Machine operation and groundworks is appealing to me so I'm glad to have stumbled upon this forum. Very interesting.

I've learnt quite a bit reading through some of the threads over the last couple days, I appreciate the effort that goes into writing them and thank you all who make useful contributions.
horses for courses if most of your work is in rear gardens down narrow gates you'll be looking at micros but it could also probably be best to consider buying what ever size machine you have hired the most over the last few years, then hire up or down to suit
 
M

Maxus

Well-known member
Currently micro's tends to be what I use the most. So buy the micro, then if it's needed, hire in a lager machine? That seems logical.
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
M

Maxus

Well-known member
Buy this and make it fit, hire a micro if you have to...
Looks the business. So a Micro is a waste of time and it's better to get a more serious machine? Roto tilt, until this moment, was beyond my wildest dreams!

Bit hesitant to buy second hand, and 22k is big chunk of change.


but Roto tilt....
 
Storrsy

Storrsy

Well-known member
Looks the business. So a Micro is a waste of time and it's better to get a more serious machine? Roto tilt, until this moment, was beyond my wildest dreams!

Bit hesitant to buy second hand, and 22k is big chunk of change.


but Roto tilt....
You’d only have a micro is acces is restricted. Larger rural gardens would be better suited to 1.8-2.8t
 
B

Brendan

Well-known member
Looks the business. So a Micro is a waste of time and it's better to get a more serious machine? Roto tilt, until this moment, was beyond my wildest dreams!

Bit hesitant to buy second hand, and 22k is big chunk of change.


but Roto tilt....
Micros have their place and they can be very productive plus beats a shovel.

What I find having just the micro was I avoided hiring up as much as possible so it was doing work really suited for a larger machine, although to be fair it didn't really matter too much as was limited by skip exchanges so no real gain in having a larger machine on them jobs anyway
 
Storrsy

Storrsy

Well-known member
Landscaping is a pretty broad term- but even being able to track around with dumpy bags is a massive advantage to the larger minis
 
Gunners

Gunners

Well-known member
A bigger machine is useless if you cant fit it in the garden. A micro and a track barrow with trailer will set up up nicely for around the £20k mark if you really want to spend that much!
If you've been hiring micros a lot then its probably the best machine for you to start with.
As for what brand, it comes down to the deal on the day, your confidence in the dealer to back it up and if you like the colour. Just be careful as Doobin is right, some of these machines don't actually fit through what you and I would call a gateway. The U10 for example goes down to 750mm. Now that will fit in a lot of places, and the U10 is a much better machine than the KX008 for many reasons.... but it is wider, and as good as it is, its no good sat on the front drive while you get shovelling round the back!
 
M

Maxus

Well-known member
It's a tough one, the work I'm doing now is more suited to micro, but I'm getting digger and operator work that warrants the use of larger machines. Is it more profitable to seek out the work that requires a larger machine?

Landscaping projects are my bread and butter, but I love going off for a day or two and getting paid on a day rate - much less stressful.
 
Top