Happenings in hiluxmans world 🤪

Lancs Lad

Lancs Lad

Not always!!
I was QS for a developer that was building 15 detached houses in Bristol. Friday afternoon on the first drop, machine was nearly lost down a major shaft. The professor from Bristol was delighted to have finally found the “lost” shaft. The developer not so!!
Managed to dig out 3m deep across the site to remove all the bell pits. Raft foundations with 2 houses sat on a massive concrete pad over the top of the shaft. Managed to build out the site and make a profit. Boss was well happy as they had planned to write off the site and lock it up.
Got me many brownie points and the bosses Porsche 928 for several nights out. It was worth more than my house!!
Interesting 😎
What sorta depth shaft? Imagine buying a house sat atop one? Minor earth quake could cause intense southern region palpitations 😳

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
Not always!!
I was QS for a developer that was building 15 detached houses in Bristol. Friday afternoon on the first drop, machine was nearly lost down a major shaft. The professor from Bristol was delighted to have finally found the “lost” shaft. The developer not so!!
Managed to dig out 3m deep across the site to remove all the bell pits. Raft foundations with 2 houses sat on a massive concrete pad over the top of the shaft. Managed to build out the site and make a profit. Boss was well happy as they had planned to write off the site and lock it up.
Got me many brownie points and the bosses Porsche 928 for several nights out. It was worth more than my house!!
hell of a lot of mining in the Bristol area .... mate had a workshop with a manhole - ish cover in it with a pit under it .... EVERYTHING went down it for years and it always landed with a splash after a couple of seconds... put a lead lamp down it one day on 200m of cable ... could just about see it, but didn't get wet .... no idea how deep it actually was
Hengrove secondary school was built in an old lake bed, they drained into a pit

6feetdown

can you imagine getting into a an onion septic tank. Go in through the neck and dig it out to get the coal out. They would send the little kids down in the 1800’s!!

The main shaft was never determined its total depth. It had been filled and we didn’t fancy digging in out!!
Funny enough had an enquiry through to re line 2 sceptic tanks yesterday had reply today grp so assume they are onion ones

S

Smiffy

can you imagine getting into a an onion septic tank. Go in through the neck and dig it out to get the coal out. They would send the little kids down in the 1800’s!!

The main shaft was never determined its total depth. It had been filled and we didn’t fancy digging in out!!

Did you see the documentary about the hotel in London where the Paddy's hand dug the piles. I know it's a bit safer and they have shoring in place now but still a firm nope from me