Government proposal to change trailer licensing regulations.

doobin

doobin

Well-known member
So the govenment is proposing a few ideas to ease the driver shortage. Among them are making it so that you can drive a rigid truck after doing your test in an artic or wagon and drag, and also making it so that you don't need a separate test to tow with a car (B+E)

I've completed the survey. Here's the link:


6554b6be8c0d829a8bf63ae0c82cf121_link.pn
Changes to HGV and bus driving tests and allowing car drivers to tow a trailer without an extra test - GOV.UK ​


WWW.GOV.UK



Have a read of Appendix A- the full list of questions, so you know what you're in for. The B+E questions are at the end, so don't shoot your load until then 🤪 Also be aware than answers are limited to 250 words so keep them concise and to the point.

I made the following points:

• Towing a trailer is far safer than overloading a 3.5t vehicle- weight down low, two extra axles etc.
• It is almost impossible to find staff with B+E. One man doing all the trailer driving is unsafe- leads to being tired on the road.
• It is expensive to train staff for B+E, tests are unavailable, and if you do train them, they just get poached.
• Removing the test removes a barrier to youth unemployment
• A trailer is a great way of minimising fuel expense and emmissions. Far less polluting to use a trailer only when required behind a modern fuel efficient truck, than to run a polluting old lorry


I'd urge you all to respond. Does anyone have any suggestions of more benefits?


It's common sense that if you can drive an artic you can handle a wagon. And removing B+E would have a lot of benefits for many small businesses. The only loosers would be the training companies- there are a few questions regarding that, but I made the point that vested interests should not interfere with this countries recovery, and that many hospitality businesses have lost all that they have worked for with no notice whatsoever.
 
Last edited:
Quattromike

Quattromike

Well member-known
So the govenment is proposing a few ideas to ease the driver shortage. Among them are making it so that you can drive a rigid truck after doing your test in an artic or wagon and drag, and also making it so that you don't need a separate test to tow with a car (B+E)

I've completed the survey. Here's the link:


6554b6be8c0d829a8bf63ae0c82cf121_link.pn
Changes to HGV and bus driving tests and allowing car drivers to tow a trailer without an extra test - GOV.UK ​


WWW.GOV.UK



Have a read of Appendix A- the full list of questions, so you know what you're in for. The B+E questions are at the end, so don't shoot your load until then 🤪 Also be aware than answers are limited to 250 words so keep them concise and to the point.

I made the following points:

• Towing a trailer is far safer than overloading a 3.5t vehicle- weight down low, two extra axles etc.
• It is almost impossible to find staff with B+E. One man doing all the trailer driving is unsafe- leads to being tired on the road.
• It is expensive to train staff for B+E, tests are unavailable, and if you do train them, they just get poached.
• Removing the test removes a barrier to youth unemployment
• A trailer is a great way of minimising fuel expense and emmissions. Far less polluting to use a trailer only when required behind a modern fuel efficient truck, than to run a polluting old lorry


I'd urge you all to respond. Does anyone have any suggestions of more benefits?


It's common sense that if you can drive an artic you can handle a wagon. And removing B+E would have a lot of benefits for many small businesses. The only loosers would be the training companies- there are a few questions regarding that, but I made the point that vested interests should not interfere with this countries recovery, and that many hospitality businesses have lost all that they have worked for with no notice whatsoever.
 
Quattromike

Quattromike

Well member-known
My take on it is previously you had to do the C license before you could do the C+E but they are proposing allowing you to go straight to the C+E. Makes sense to me, like you say if you can drive a truck and trailer combo then you can drive a truck on its own .
 
Lancs Lad

Lancs Lad

Well-known member
So the govenment is proposing a few ideas to ease the driver shortage. Among them are making it so that you can drive a rigid truck after doing your test in an artic or wagon and drag, and also making it so that you don't need a separate test to tow with a car (B+E)

I've completed the survey. Here's the link:


6554b6be8c0d829a8bf63ae0c82cf121_link.pn
Changes to HGV and bus driving tests and allowing car drivers to tow a trailer without an extra test - GOV.UK ​


WWW.GOV.UK



Have a read of Appendix A- the full list of questions, so you know what you're in for. The B+E questions are at the end, so don't shoot your load until then 🤪 Also be aware than answers are limited to 250 words so keep them concise and to the point.

I made the following points:

• Towing a trailer is far safer than overloading a 3.5t vehicle- weight down low, two extra axles etc.
• It is almost impossible to find staff with B+E. One man doing all the trailer driving is unsafe- leads to being tired on the road.
• It is expensive to train staff for B+E, tests are unavailable, and if you do train them, they just get poached.
• Removing the test removes a barrier to youth unemployment
• A trailer is a great way of minimising fuel expense and emmissions. Far less polluting to use a trailer only when required behind a modern fuel efficient truck, than to run a polluting old lorry


I'd urge you all to respond. Does anyone have any suggestions of more benefits?


It's common sense that if you can drive an artic you can handle a wagon. And removing B+E would have a lot of benefits for many small businesses. The only loosers would be the training companies- there are a few questions regarding that, but I made the point that vested interests should not interfere with this countries recovery, and that many hospitality businesses have lost all that they have worked for with no notice whatsoever.
I can see benefits ...but judging from driving standards atm I can see insurance companies groaning! Had a bloke in monster camper dragging lil car pushing me along at 80 other day 🙄
 
B

Brendan

Well-known member
Keep the test for b and e as it is.

Letting all those idiots who happily drive around 2t overweight will just lead to the same idiots now being 2t over on the vehicle while towing an overloaded trailer.

If there had to be an easing for smaller vehicles would potentially rather see an easing of 7t vehicles or at least a 5t class where treated as 3.5t rules so same exemptions for o license and tachos with the b and e pass automatically carrying over, this would of course need the 7t vehicle category adding to standard license but only the 7t and e added if already holding b and e. As let's face it majority of 7t vehicles are similar sized to 3.5t vehicles and the trailer test is identical

But let's face it, it will still be the same mongs at 2t overweight on what ever size vehicle they use.
 
pettsy

pettsy

Well-known member
As someone that had to pay to do B+E, my opinion is keep that as it is. There are people useless at driving a normal car/van so allowing free reign to add trailer (caravan!) is crazy.

I’d argue I can now have 7t gtw combination but can’t drive a 7.5t lorry so maybe something changed there?
 
J

Justme

Well-known member
My take on it is previously you had to do the C license before you could do the C+E but they are proposing allowing you to go straight to the C+E. Makes sense to me, like you say if you can drive a truck and trailer combo then you can drive a truck on its own .
Taking test in artic is nothing like driving a rigid.
Truck & trailer makes sense.
 
S

Smiffy

Well-known member
As above I think b +e should stay but the licence should extend to 7t a 7t is far more familiar to a 3.5t than a 3.5t with a trailer.
And an arctic may be nothing like a rigid but a rigid is nothing like a a van so if your doing training you may aswell do one block of training with one test at the end
Let's face it most people don't do the test in an arctic anyway.
I have c+e but I've never even sat in an arctic.
I did my test in a 10t wagon with a drag no bigger than some ifor trailers
The setup had been bought specifically for training and had no tail swing and the trailer followed perfectly with virtually no cut in.
Yet I could go and drive an arctic tomorrow.
And I have got 4years c+e experience technically as I tow ifors behind grab lorrys all the time
 
J

Justme

Well-known member
As above I think b +e should stay but the licence should extend to 7t a 7t is far more familiar to a 3.5t than a 3.5t with a trailer.
And an arctic may be nothing like a rigid but a rigid is nothing like a a van so if your doing training you may aswell do one block of training with one test at the end
Let's face it most people don't do the test in an arctic anyway.
I have c+e but I've never even sat in an arctic.
I did my test in a 10t wagon with a drag no bigger than some ifor trailers
The setup had been bought specifically for training and had no tail swing and the trailer followed perfectly with virtually no cut in.
Yet I could go and drive an arctic tomorrow.
And I have got 4years c+e experience technically as I tow ifors behind grab lorrys all the time
There is mileage in needing two CE tests.

One for wagon & drag & one for artic.

Locally its about 50/50 re drags & artics for test
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
As above I think b +e should stay but the licence should extend to 7t a 7t is far more familiar to a 3.5t than a 3.5t with a trailer.
And an arctic may be nothing like a rigid but a rigid is nothing like a a van so if your doing training you may aswell do one block of training with one test at the end
Let's face it most people don't do the test in an arctic anyway.
I have c+e but I've never even sat in an arctic.
I did my test in a 10t wagon with a drag no bigger than some ifor trailers
The setup had been bought specifically for training and had no tail swing and the trailer followed perfectly with virtually no cut in.
Yet I could go and drive an arctic tomorrow.
And I have got 4years c+e experience technically as I tow ifors behind grab lorrys all the time
Never knew that !! ...... farcical ... massive difference in handling wagon and drag, compared to manoeuvring an artic about :oops: ... whole different concept
 
J

Justme

Well-known member
they will have to increase weights for everything if we are to go electric. 3.5 tonner to 7 tonner at a minimum.
Too late its already been done to 4250kg & you HAVE to take extra approved training first.
 
J

Justme

Well-known member
Never knew that !! ...... farcical ... massive difference in handling wagon and drag, compared to manoeuvring an artic about :oops: ... whole different concept
You can take your test in either then drive the other.
 
J

Justme

Well-known member
interesting have a link to that ?


No towing & only in mainland UK
 
F

fred

Well-known member
wonder if this applies if you have an old licence with unlimited towing and drive upto 7.5 ton ?
 
Lancs Lad

Lancs Lad

Well-known member
As someone that had to pay to do B+E, my opinion is keep that as it is. There are people useless at driving a normal car/van so allowing free reign to add trailer (caravan!) is crazy.

I’d argue I can now have 7t gtw combination but can’t drive a 7.5t lorry so maybe something changed there?
[/QUOTE
💯👌👍
 
Top