Ford eco-boom.

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
watched that a couple of months ago ... pretty horrifying
 
S

Stroppymonkey

Well-known member
Wife has one. Just had wet belt changed at 95K. Bloody brilliant little thing. Outperforms all the 80s/90s hot hatches, does 50+mag and nice to drive. Would buy another 100%
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
Wife has one. Just had wet belt changed at 95K. Bloody brilliant little thing. Outperforms all the 80s/90s hot hatches, does 50+mag and nice to drive. Would buy another 100%
from what I've read, they're ok if used on a regular basis .. if the belt stands around (like on a forecourt) for any length of time it doesn't do 'em any good at all :(
 
B

Brendan

Well-known member
Nothing being done for the ropey 2.0 ecoblue diesel though, what ever twat thought putting the cambelt in oil needs to have a word with themselves and then find a different job.
The diesel engine is in the transit and ranger and probably the rest of the ford range, as the belt wears it either strips teeth or the frayed bits go into the vacuum pump so no brakes. If the engine hasn't completely shafted itself you still have to swap the vacuum pump.
There has been a few engines saved by the brakes not working (rock hard pedal due to no servo assist), which under inspection show knackered belts.
Fords answer is to drop the change mileage to 60k instead of 100k but has been a few rangers fail sub 20k
 
Last edited:
R

Rob65

Well-known member
Nothing being done for the ropey 2.0 ecoblue diesel though, what ever twat thought putting the cambelt in oil needs to have a word with themselves and then find a different job.
The diesel engine is in the transit and ranger and probably the rest of the ford range, as the belt wears it either strips teeth or the frayed bits go into the vacuum pump so no brakes. If the engine hasn't completely shafted itself you still have to swap the vacuum pump.
There has been a few engines saved by the brakes not working (rock hard pedal due to no servo assist), which under inspection show knackered belts.
Fords answer is to drop the change mileage to 60k instead of 100k but has been a few rangers fail sub 20k
I had the belt in my Ranger changed at 70k miles as apposed to the 100k miles recommended by Ford. To be fair the old belt looked as good as new and had loads of life left in it but I was not taking the risk.

I’ve followed the belt saga on various forums and the consensus of opinion is that using the right oil is the impotent thing. It’s not just a case of having the right viscosity, it’s important to have the right specification numbers also so the additives in the oil don’t chemically degrade the belt. I’ve had mine serviced by the Ford ‘stealers’ from new which hopefully meant I got the right oil. I paid ££££’s a litre for it so I hope it was very special.
 
B

Brendan

Well-known member
I had the belt in my Ranger changed at 70k miles as apposed to the 100k miles recommended by Ford. To be fair the old belt looked as good as new and had loads of life left in it but I was not taking the risk.

I’ve followed the belt saga on various forums and the consensus of opinion is that using the right oil is the impotent thing. It’s not just a case of having the right viscosity, it’s important to have the right specification numbers also so the additives in the oil don’t chemically degrade the belt. I’ve had mine serviced by the Ford ‘stealers’ from new which hopefully meant I got the right oil. I paid ££££’s a litre for it so I hope it was very special.
Looking at a service announcement they say not to use any fuel additives or oil flush treatments unless recommended by ford.....

Which were not listed in that announcement
 
Top