Food

Mick-the-fitter

Mick-the-fitter

It’s what I do!
Lucky that we have our own cows to munch on……but tomorrow we are going non traditional and it will be fish. Our friend is joining us and as a non meat eater we are happy to save the Turkey for Friday when all the kids and grandkids are over. Will need a holiday after that!!
“Fish” from the farm pond? 😊

6feetdown

Baked this morning
20231225_221532.jpg

Bucket on wheels

Bucket on wheels

Three hours on the wood stove yum yum
20231001_183710.jpg
20231001_200634.jpg

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
could eat turkey everyday - love it

heritage machining

heritage machining

We went to a friend's for Christmas on Christmas morning found out the turkey was off luckily we had a ham and a side of beef which personally I prefer to turkey anyway I find turkey so dry

TiltyShaun

TiltyShaun

We went to a friend's for Christmas on Christmas morning found out the turkey was off luckily we had a ham and a side of beef which personally I prefer to turkey anyway I find turkey so dry
Not if you cook it properly!! Upside down until it reaches 65 degree with a meat thermometer.
Used to raise our own and it is great when cooked properly!!

Giles

Giles

I do all cooking and I’m pretty good at it, get a bit cheffy with dinner parties etc

We had roast duck legs and then stuffed and rolled the saddle with some homemade pigs in blankets. Duck fat roasties, parsnips, honey roast heritage carrots , stuffing, sprouts and spring greens cooked with pancetta and pine nuts and a cracking gravy. Oh and cauliflower cheese. Best Xmas dinner since I did a multi bird roast for 12 friends few years ago was a pigeon in a wood cock, in a pheasant in a duck in goose in a turkey all surrounded by sausage meat and stitched together 😂 not got that time anymore for that took almost 6 hours to cook the birds.

Been lucky to eat at a few Michelin star places and they’re inspiring for a wannabe cook.

Oh and chocolate soufflé for pud

Attachments

• 4B47C768-729A-4C06-B23D-856ABA8F64EB.jpeg
    4B47C768-729A-4C06-B23D-856ABA8F64EB.jpeg
    273 KB · Views: 51
  • CFB943B9-9A26-4300-8915-A049B7394894.jpeg
    CFB943B9-9A26-4300-8915-A049B7394894.jpeg
    86.6 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
D

DaveDCB

Didn’t take any photos of dinner, but made the roulade ourselves - demolished over the last two days!
As for the turkey if it’s done right it’s spot on, especially if it’s not a water filled supermarket shiteeating bird!
IMG_1014.jpeg

L

LKSF

Pennine Hillbilly
We're largely a nation of salad dodgers and i've recently realised why, It's because what we're sold is crap, it's just tasteless rubbish.
My Dad used to grow our F&V when we were kids, but back then I wasn't really interested in the end result, even though it ended up on my plate. I'd help him in the garden, mainly doing the lawn mowing and rotovating of the veg plot, because I was interested in operating machinery rather than anything else.

FF to recent years, looking a bit 'Jeremy Clarkson', drifting into T2 diabetic territory and i've started to grow more and more of my own, the more I learned, the more I realised the huge difference between mass produced F&V and my organic stuff. The things you uncover about the chemicals used, how the soil is lifeless and abused it's no wonder it tastes of nothing and so many people don't want to eat it.
Many people push growing your own as a money saving exercise, if you're a working man it most definitely isn't, it's expensive. Good food is expensive, it always will be, you want crap buy cheap just the same as anything else. If you're retired, house husband/wife which means you have an alternative income then that changes a bit. What I mean is this; purely from a money perspective then it's better to put another hour in at work at your hourly rate and buy it, than an hour in the garden to grow it. There is of course much more to it than that, as said ^ quality, but also sense of achievement and enjoyment. It's great to be able to go into the Polytunnel/greenhouse/garden and pick some fresh produce, take it back to the house and cook it. Instead of eating sweets or crisps i'll eat a cherry tomato because it's just as good in terms of taste. It isn't easy, you have to want to do it and/or enjoy it.

I can get a big mac n fries for £1.99 and it's shite. It's fast, tastes good and I enjoy it, but it is utter rubbish. Rubbish is cheap.

When we cook we generally put lots of flavouring on to make things taste better. When you buy a really decent piece of steak or prep some good F&V you find you don't need to do that, the basic ingredient speaks for itself.

We have the odd one or two family or friends gatherings here in Summer and often i'll put out two plates of one type of F or V, one will be mine, one from the Supermarket. I'll ask which they prefer and 10/10 will go for the organic everytime. We even put two plates of raw carrots or toms on the buffet table and said nothing. At the end of the day all mine had gone, the plate of supermarket stuff still had some on it.

If you want fresh tasty carrots and parsnips let me know, i'll send you some for free, just pay the shipping. If it gets you understanding decent food and even growing it it will be worth it. I'll write more in my thread later :)

6feetdown

We're largely a nation of salad dodgers and i've recently realised why, It's because what we're sold is crap, it's just tasteless rubbish.
My Dad used to grow our F&V when we were kids, but back then I wasn't really interested in the end result, even though it ended up on my plate. I'd help him in the garden, mainly doing the lawn mowing and rotovating of the veg plot, because I was interested in operating machinery rather than anything else.

FF to recent years, looking a bit 'Jeremy Clarkson', drifting into T2 diabetic territory and i've started to grow more and more of my own, the more I learned, the more I realised the huge difference between mass produced F&V and my organic stuff. The things you uncover about the chemicals used, how the soil is lifeless and abused it's no wonder it tastes of nothing and so many people don't want to eat it.
Many people push growing your own as a money saving exercise, if you're a working man it most definitely isn't, it's expensive. Good food is expensive, it always will be, you want crap buy cheap just the same as anything else. If you're retired, house husband/wife which means you have an alternative income then that changes a bit. What I mean is this; purely from a money perspective then it's better to put another hour in at work at your hourly rate and buy it, than an hour in the garden to grow it. There is of course much more to it than that, as said ^ quality, but also sense of achievement and enjoyment. It's great to be able to go into the Polytunnel/greenhouse/garden and pick some fresh produce, take it back to the house and cook it. Instead of eating sweets or crisps i'll eat a cherry tomato because it's just as good in terms of taste. It isn't easy, you have to want to do it and/or enjoy it.

I can get a big mac n fries for £1.99 and it's shite. It's fast, tastes good and I enjoy it, but it is utter rubbish. Rubbish is cheap.

When we cook we generally put lots of flavouring on to make things taste better. When you buy a really decent piece of steak or prep some good F&V you find you don't need to do that, the basic ingredient speaks for itself.

We have the odd one or two family or friends gatherings here in Summer and often i'll put out two plates of one type of F or V, one will be mine, one from the Supermarket. I'll ask which they prefer and 10/10 will go for the organic everytime. We even put two plates of raw carrots or toms on the buffet table and said nothing. At the end of the day all mine had gone, the plate of supermarket stuff still had some on it.

If you want fresh tasty carrots and parsnips let me know, i'll send you some for free, just pay the shipping. If it gets you understanding decent food and even growing it it will be worth it. I'll write more in my thread later :)
Like you said you get what you put in. Time is the issue not so much the cost

Lancs Lad

Lancs Lad

Interesting.
Personally I detest Veg...bad I know😒
She's got me slowly into butternut and a few carrots now...maybe the odd pepper...

But obsessed in meat ☺️ .
Amount of time I look at takeaways etc and say right give me less ££ and I'll go down a buy decent meat instead. Get most of ours for last few years from local farm shop who gets it all local if not their own cattle.

Not much beats simple steak chucked on the grill.

Last Sundays effort.
Bit of Rib,4hrs later.
1000119093.jpg

Then tomohawks for family bash☺️
1000118547.jpg

Not cheap but worth every mouthful.

L

LKSF

Pennine Hillbilly
Interesting.
Personally I detest Veg...bad I know😒
She's got me slowly into butternut and a few carrots now...maybe the odd pepper...

But obsessed in meat ☺️ .
Amount of time I look at takeaways etc and say right give me less ££ and I'll go down a buy decent meat instead. Get most of ours for last few years from local farm shop who gets it all local if not their own cattle.

Not much beats simple steak chucked on the grill.

Last Sundays effort.
Bit of Rib,4hrs later.
View attachment 55603
Then tomohawks for family bash☺️
View attachment 55604
Not cheap but worth every mouthful.
Looks lovely 😋 I love my meat too, i'll never give it up and can't abide this recent greenwashing shite about how meat eaters are killing the planet.
In recent years i've discovered lamb hearts, they're cheap at Tesco in Winter or the butchers maybe. I fill them with stuffing or sausage meat and roast them, nom nom.

But there is my point, it's possible you don't like your F&V because it isn't very good. Once you've tasted some proper stuff maybe you'll like it more. Then the more you eat, the more healthy you'll be.
One of my old college mates was over here this year, he's suddenly interested in healthy food whereas he never was. I found out he had bowel cancer and after the op has to crap in a bag he carries around with him. You don't need that in your life at 50 odd. Too much processed meat. We were never educated as to the dangers of diet, or maybe we just took no notice. It often takes a wake up call to make us change our habits and by that time it's too late which is a shame. I have a quite restrictive diet now due to T2D.
If you ever watch 'Gone fishing' M&W are the same now.