Expansion ramblings

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
Thought about it many times, I just couldn’t do it!!
once you have been self employed it would be extremely difficult to revert to being 'employed' again ... even if you knew completely upfront the extent of the duties required ... it's a mindset
 
Lancs Lad

Lancs Lad

Well-known member
once you have been self employed it would be extremely difficult to revert to being 'employed' again ... even if you knew completely upfront the extent of the duties required ... it's a mindset
The old two edged sword...yes you can bunk off at 3 on Friday once every 2 months but then you work till 7 every week 😂...and the oh it's alright for you have own business crowd...as they slink home at 4pm and that's it till Monday morning .
What about the Sunday night text...I won't be in 🤬🫣🫣

I want to retire
 
Storrsy

Storrsy

Well-known member
The old two edged sword...yes you can bunk off at 3 on Friday once every 2 months but then you work till 7 every week 😂...and the oh it's alright for you have own business crowd...as they slink home at 4pm and that's it till Monday morning .
What about the Sunday night text...I won't be in 🤬🫣🫣

I want to retire
that last bit is the answer 🤣
 
Bri963

Bri963

Well-known member
Not everyone who’s employed can turn off when they go home. I end up dealing with stuff out of hours on a regular basis, and although not so much now, in the past I’ve been called in odd times, weekends, last minute overtime, all part of life’s rich tapestry. Again until a few years back, plenty of 14 and 15 hour days six days a week before the company remembered the working time directive (usually after whatever panic it was had been sorted). Don’t get me wrong, I wouldn’t be doing it if Cat didn’t pay for the service.

A big problem with going from self employed to employed is that you take your self employed work ethic into employment and find that a lot of companies don’t pay extra for it, so you end up getting frustrated. Loyalty is an expensive commodity, you get as much as you pay for.
 
hiluxman

hiluxman

Well-known member
Not everyone who’s employed can turn off when they go home. I end up dealing with stuff out of hours on a regular basis, and although not so much now, in the past I’ve been called in odd times, weekends, last minute overtime, all part of life’s rich tapestry. Again until a few years back, plenty of 14 and 15 hour days six days a week before the company remembered the working time directive (usually after whatever panic it was had been sorted). Don’t get me wrong, I wouldn’t be doing it if Cat didn’t pay for the service.

A big problem with going from self employed to employed is that you take your self employed work ethic into employment and find that a lot of companies don’t pay extra for it, so you end up getting frustrated. Loyalty is an expensive commodity, you get as much as you pay for.
Is working for finning a good as they make out.
 
Furniss

Furniss

Well-known member
Not everyone who’s employed can turn off when they go home. I end up dealing with stuff out of hours on a regular basis, and although not so much now, in the past I’ve been called in odd times, weekends, last minute overtime, all part of life’s rich tapestry. Again until a few years back, plenty of 14 and 15 hour days six days a week before the company remembered the working time directive (usually after whatever panic it was had been sorted). Don’t get me wrong, I wouldn’t be doing it if Cat didn’t pay for the service.

A big problem with going from self employed to employed is that you take your self employed work ethic into employment and find that a lot of companies don’t pay extra for it, so you end up getting frustrated. Loyalty is an expensive commodity, you get as much as you pay for.
I think thats spot on ! much to the advantage of the employer.
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
The old two edged sword...yes you can bunk off at 3 on Friday once every 2 months but then you work till 7 every week 😂...and the oh it's alright for you have own business crowd...as they slink home at 4pm and that's it till Monday morning .
What about the Sunday night text...I won't be in 🤬🫣🫣

I want to retire
only 7 ?? ;):LOL: .. absolutely to a tee .... but as I said it's a mind set and having been self employed, I doubt few, if any, on here could go back to being told what to do/think/etc. :rolleyes: for a few weeks, 'praps, as a 'holiday' ..... but really ???? :unsure:
for one, you'd be wasted, and secondly you'd grow to hate it :(:mad:
 
Simon edwards

Simon edwards

Well-known member
My ideal plan would be 5 or so more years,then sell up possibly relocate to the coast try and find a job driving a truck for a plant company or merchant 3 or 4 days a week.Then I explain to my wife ”we’ll just take a couple of diggers maybe the micro as well,2 dumpers,the trailers keep the tipper and ranger,just to do a little bit with if I’m only working part time for someone else !” My semi retirement master plan ,or as my better half put it “basically starting again then,pillock!”
 
Furniss

Furniss

Well-known member
My ideal plan would be 5 or so more years,then sell up possibly relocate to the coast try and find a job driving a truck for a plant company or merchant 3 or 4 days a week.Then I explain to my wife ”we’ll just take a couple of diggers maybe the micro as well,2 dumpers,the trailers keep the tipper and ranger,just to do a little bit with if I’m only working part time for someone else !” My semi retirement master plan ,or as my better half put it “basically starting again then,pillock!”
Exactly right ...It would be the wrong stage of life to go back to being poorly equiped so involves a minimum of kit 😀
 
Storrsy

Storrsy

Well-known member
An American investment banker was at the pier of a small coastal Mexican village when a small boat with just one fisherman docked. Inside the small boat were several large yellowfin tuna. The American complimented the Mexican on the quality of his fish and asked how long it took to catch them.

The Mexican replied, “only a little while.”

The American then asked why didn’t he stay out longer and catch more fish?

The Mexican said he had enough to support his family’s immediate needs.

The American then asked, “but what do you do with the rest of your time?”

The Mexican fisherman said, “I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children, take siestas with my wife, Maria, and stroll into the village each evening where I sip wine, and play guitar with my amigos. I have a full and busy life.”

The American scoffed. “I have an MBA from Harvard, and can help you,” he said. “You should spend more time fishing, and with the proceeds, buy a bigger boat. With the proceeds from the bigger boat, you could buy several boats, and eventually you would have a fleet of fishing boats. Instead of selling your catch to a middle-man, you could sell directly to the processor, eventually opening up your own cannery. You could control the product, processing, and distribution,” he said. “Of course, you would need to leave this small coastal fishing village and move to Mexico City, then Los Angeles, and eventually to New York City, where you will run your expanding enterprise.”

The Mexican fisherman asked, “But, how long will this all take?”

To which the American replied, “Oh, 15 to 20 years or so.”

“But what then?” asked the Mexican.

The American laughed and said, “That’s the best part. When the time was right, you would announce an IPO, and sell your company stock to the public and become very rich. You would make millions!”

“Millions – then what?”

The American said, “Then you could retire. Move to a small coastal fishing village where you could sleep late, fish a little, play with your kids, take siestas with your wife, and stroll to the village in the evenings where you could sip wine and play guitar with your amigos.”
 
Furniss

Furniss

Well-known member
Damn right,then of course the downsizing property goes out the window as you need a decent sized workshop at home and space to park it all!
That was the back of the house in mid 2000's !!

1000012737.jpg

And now
1000012739.jpg
 
Simon edwards

Simon edwards

Well-known member
Ours was v similar,even had a lovely pile of hardcore,200 ton rockery as I explained to the neighbours. We then developed and sold half of it.I thought I would really miss having the yard at home but it’s actually been quite liberating really.
Nice line up of little Jake’s there,used to like the 802’s in their day.
 
Furniss

Furniss

Well-known member
Ours was v similar,even had a lovely pile of hardcore,200 ton rockery as I explained to the neighbours. We then developed and sold half of it.I thought I would really miss having the yard at home but it’s actually been quite liberating really.
Nice line up of little Jake’s there,used to like the 802’s in their day.
I loved getting everything to a yard with a workshop - as you say liberating.

Used to buy and sell quite a lot of kit back then, the french couldn't get enough of the little JCB's and I used to run what was about, the 8t tak on the end I ran for a couple of years and then made a bloody 40% mark up ....eeee by gum those were the days.
 
Bri963

Bri963

Well-known member
Is working for finning a good as they make out.
Wouldn’t know mate, I work for Cat. However the Finnings guys I come into contact with have either been there years or are recent and seem to like being there. They do get called out all hours for some customers, more for industrial than construction customers.
 
D

DaveDCB

Well-known member
Wouldn’t know mate, I work for Cat. However the Finnings guys I come into contact with have either been there years or are recent and seem to like being there. They do get called out all hours for some customers, more for industrial than construction customers.
Friend of a friend works for Finning’s , he got sacked for kicking a half dead pigeon across the yard… upper management saw him doing it!
Eventually got it overruled as I think he was too good to let go over a dead pigeon 😂
 
Top