Giles
Well-known member
i keep a stash of paracetamol, ibruphrofen and piritin in glove box for the lads etc does that count lolI get real cravings for good drg.s ...... the ones I get usually mess with my mind![]()
i keep a stash of paracetamol, ibruphrofen and piritin in glove box for the lads etc does that count lolI get real cravings for good drg.s ...... the ones I get usually mess with my mind![]()
Groundworkers drugs of choicei keep a stash of paracetamol, ibruphrofen and piritin in glove box for the lads etc does that count lol
You don't supply them though remember.i keep a stash of paracetamol, ibruphrofen and piritin in glove box for the lads etc does that count lol
Maybe he just plays to his strengths....good people management and organisation but poor on the tools ?One thing I have noticed in my life is a lazy person will find a easy way to make a living and one person I know who was a good talker but a crap builder started enploying tradesmen and then just organized labour on his own jobs and done well
Great post! And well doneMy 2ps Worth....
I head up a team of 10+myself. (Was a little bigger but shrunk it back in last 2 years).
The most successful route for me ( and now its us) has been apprentices.. I took on the first when I was 29, and 15 years later Apprentice No.8 is on his 3rd year. Takes at least 5 years to get most to the stage where I trust them enough to work alone in customers houses. 5 of the Apprentices are still with us, and one is now a director after 11 years with me. Quite likely that he will be part of my exit plan. The other 3 are still working, one locally (as my competition!), one in Oz and the other is in Exeter.
Choose wisely, and you don't want them with too much get up and go... cos they are more likely to get up and GO! It's hard to see the potential adult in a 16-17 year old. They can surprise and please you, but are more likely to dissapoint to start with. It's a bit like having kids but without the nappies. Lots of spoon feeding to start with. Harder to find them as I get older, they seem to get younger and softer (or i get older and grumpier). Take a look at the parents, it can tell you a lot about what you are buying into. (Bit like dating!)
It's a very VERY slow long game, and you have to have the patience of a saint. Accept some compromise on quality, and lots of deep breaths. Pay them bugger all for first year and progress the pay rapidly (every 6 months and when they get tickets) after that so that once they are fully qualified they don't look at greener grass too much. After 10 years they need to be earning more per hour than you. (You get lots of other benefits)
There is a HUGE amount of satisfaction in looking back and realising that there are 7 (soon to be 8) decent plumbing and heating engineers out there that I helped create. Some of them have developed skills and abilities and qualities well beyond mine.
Wether this expansion route is fully transferable to the plant/construction industry in general.. I'm not sure.
several of my guys were kids I'd had on work experience initially, then took them on and trained them up ... were some of my best blokes and most of them still stay in touch with me today.My 2ps Worth....
I head up a team of 10+myself. (Was a little bigger but shrunk it back in last 2 years).
The most successful route for me ( and now its us) has been apprentices.. I took on the first when I was 29, and 15 years later Apprentice No.8 is on his 3rd year. Takes at least 5 years to get most to the stage where I trust them enough to work alone in customers houses. 5 of the Apprentices are still with us, and one is now a director after 11 years with me. Quite likely that he will be part of my exit plan. The other 3 are still working, one locally (as my competition!), one in Oz and the other is in Exeter.
Choose wisely, and you don't want them with too much get up and go... cos they are more likely to get up and GO! It's hard to see the potential adult in a 16-17 year old. They can surprise and please you, but are more likely to dissapoint to start with. It's a bit like having kids but without the nappies. Lots of spoon feeding to start with. Harder to find them as I get older, they seem to get younger and softer (or i get older and grumpier). Take a look at the parents, it can tell you a lot about what you are buying into. (Bit like dating!)
It's a very VERY slow long game, and you have to have the patience of a saint. Accept some compromise on quality, and lots of deep breaths. Pay them bugger all for first year and progress the pay rapidly (every 6 months and when they get tickets) after that so that once they are fully qualified they don't look at greener grass too much. After 10 years they need to be earning more per hour than you. (You get lots of other benefits)
There is a HUGE amount of satisfaction in looking back and realising that there are 7 (soon to be 8) decent plumbing and heating engineers out there that I helped create. Some of them have developed skills and abilities and qualities well beyond mine.
Wether this expansion route is fully transferable to the plant/construction industry in general.. I'm not sure.
She's living the dream ...money doesn't even come into it !Pay your wife more for her graft and stay as you are. As others have said, those that want you will wait. Those that don’t deserve what they get!!!
's gotta be loveShe's living the dream ...money doesn't even come into it !
We have the same, one guy just handed in notice last week after 12 years from school to where he is now, was almost crying when he spoke to me. Competitor half hour away are offering £2/hour more and van home. I accepted his notice as once someone has decided to go best to let them go and they might come back. If you factor in an extra hour traveling per day £2 per hour doesn't count for much and if a van home is an incentive then you're also paying tax on that.My 2ps Worth....
I head up a team of 10+myself. (Was a little bigger but shrunk it back in last 2 years).
The most successful route for me ( and now its us) has been apprentices.. I took on the first when I was 29, and 15 years later Apprentice No.8 is on his 3rd year. Takes at least 5 years to get most to the stage where I trust them enough to work alone in customers houses. 5 of the Apprentices are still with us, and one is now a director after 11 years with me. Quite likely that he will be part of my exit plan. The other 3 are still working, one locally (as my competition!), one in Oz and the other is in Exeter.
Choose wisely, and you don't want them with too much get up and go... cos they are more likely to get up and GO! It's hard to see the potential adult in a 16-17 year old. They can surprise and please you, but are more likely to dissapoint to start with. It's a bit like having kids but without the nappies. Lots of spoon feeding to start with. Harder to find them as I get older, they seem to get younger and softer (or i get older and grumpier). Take a look at the parents, it can tell you a lot about what you are buying into. (Bit like dating!)
It's a very VERY slow long game, and you have to have the patience of a saint. Accept some compromise on quality, and lots of deep breaths. Pay them bugger all for first year and progress the pay rapidly (every 6 months and when they get tickets) after that so that once they are fully qualified they don't look at greener grass too much. After 10 years they need to be earning more per hour than you. (You get lots of other benefits)
There is a HUGE amount of satisfaction in looking back and realising that there are 7 (soon to be 8) decent plumbing and heating engineers out there that I helped create. Some of them have developed skills and abilities and qualities well beyond mine.
Wether this expansion route is fully transferable to the plant/construction industry in general.. I'm not sure.
Ours get the van and time paid both ways and paid breaks :-/We have the same, one guy just handed in notice last week after 12 years from school to where he is now, was almost crying when he spoke to me. Competitor half hour away are offering £2/hour more and van home. I accepted his notice as once someone has decided to go best to let them go and they might come back. If you factor in an extra hour traveling per day £2 per hour doesn't count for much and if a van home is an incentive then you're also paying tax on that.
We have 3 apprentices and another away to start so is definitely the way we're going but just hard at times to see them go. Aforementioned competitor will now have 3 of our old apprentices. Go figure
very, very frustrating ...We have the same, one guy just handed in notice last week after 12 years from school to where he is now, was almost crying when he spoke to me. Competitor half hour away are offering £2/hour more and van home. I accepted his notice as once someone has decided to go best to let them go and they might come back. If you factor in an extra hour traveling per day £2 per hour doesn't count for much and if a van home is an incentive then you're also paying tax on that.
We have 3 apprentices and another away to start so is definitely the way we're going but just hard at times to see them go. Aforementioned competitor will now have 3 of our old apprentices. Go figure
What are you paying and how close to the alps are you again?I suppose ideal would be a younger bloke 30's who wanted to work for me for a few years with a view to taking over an up and running little setup, I could ease off in a bit and just help when needed
More chance of bagging fog than that falling into place.
Hows your french ?What are you paying and how close to the alps are you again?
I fit some of your criteria![]()
Do you have any tiltrotator/gripper experience ?What are you paying and how close to the alps are you again?
I fit some of your criteria![]()